Ryan & Term Limits

bnsbread

Oct 3, 2012
Ryan says he backs term limits for Congress - CBS News

Ahhhh Hell no, Let us exhibit the moral values, empathy, and wisdom needed to tell the world that The Republican Party's mean-spirited sound bites are intended to rot out the minds of all freedom-loving, free-thinking people. We need to remove term limits for the presidency so Presidents like Obama can serve forever if its the will of the people!

Poll: 75 percent want Congressional term limits...
:cool:
Gallup: 75% Would Vote 'For' Term Limits on Congress
January 18, 2013 – A new poll shows that 75 percent of U.S. adults, if given the opportunity, would vote for term limits for members of the House of Representatives and the Senate.
In the poll, conducted by Gallup, 1,013 adults, age 18 and older, from all 50 states were asked, “Suppose that on Election Day you could vote on key issues as well as candidates. Would you vote for or against a law that would limit the number of terms which members of Congress and the U.S. Senate can serve? The survey showed that 75 percent would vote “for” term limits; 21 percent would vote “against” term limits; and 5 percent had no opinion.

The political breakdown of those in favor of terms limits was 82 percent Republican, 79 percent Independents, and 65 percent Democrats. In the age categories, they were all close, varying only between 73 percent and 77 percent. “Republicans and Independents are slightly more likely than Democrats to favor term limits,” reported Gallup. “Nevertheless, the vast majority of all party groups agree on the issue. Further, Gallup finds no generational differences in support of the proposal.”

130118_capitol_at_night_mahaskey_328.jpg

Term limits received bipartisan support in the Gallup survey.

In the 2012 elections, discounting the members who retired, the reelection rate in the House of Representatives was 91 percent: 358 of 393 incumbents were reelected. In the Senate, the reelection rate was also 91 percent, with 21 of 23 incumbents winning reelection.

Earlier polls by Gallup, back in 1994 and 1996, showed that between two-thirds and three-quarters of Americans “said they would vote for a constitutional amendment to limit the number of terms that members of Congress and the U.S. Senate can serve,” said the polling group. The latest survey was done by telephone, Jan. 8-9, 2013.

Gallup: 75% Would Vote 'For' Term Limits on Congress | CNS News

See also:

Poll: 75 percent want Hill term limits
1/18/13 - Three out of four Americans support term limits for members of Congress, a new poll finds.
According to a Gallup survey posted Friday, 75 percent of adults nationwide back term limits for members of the House and the Senate, while 21 percent say they would vote against term limits. Term limits received bipartisan support in the poll: Republicans would back such a measure 82 percent-15 percent; independents would do so 79 percent-17 percent and Democrats favored term limits 65 percent-29 percent, even as most incumbents won their races again in November, Gallup noted.

This survey comes at a time when many Americans have a negative opinion of the Hill. Gallup reported on Jan. 11 that Congress had an approval rating of just 14 percent.

The poll also found that 63 percent of those surveyed would end the Electoral College, while 29 percent would not support abolishing the institution. There was little split along party lines for this question: Republicans support doing away with the Electoral College 61 percent-30 percent; Democrats say the same, 66 percent-30 percent; as do independents, 63 percent-29 percent.

The survey of 1,013 adults in the United States was conducted Jan. 8-9 and has a margin of error of plus or minus 4 percentage points.

Read more: Poll: 75 percent want Hill term limits - Katie Glueck - POLITICO.com

Given the fact that voter fraud played a huge part in the last 2 elections, I support term limits.

We already have term limits. They're called....elections.

You really won't like them because once a politician comes up against his limit and no longer has to face the wrath of The People, his vote on any issues goes up for sale to the highest bidder.

I understand that argument, but the playing field is not even. It's not even close to being even. In fact, there IS no freakin' playing field.

An incumbent can begin buying votes and influence from Day One in office. They can sell votes and influence from Day One. They can use their power and influence to fund-raise from Day One. And then, in the last year of their term, they can essentially just campaign and raise funds instead doing their fucking job. I could go on for about a week here, but the current system pisses me off, and I'm in a good mood right now.

Ryan is now serving his 8th term in Congress, but he supports term limits. Suuuuuure.

Ryan is now serving his 8th term in Congress, but he supports term limits. Suuuuuure.

That's because he has his eye on a future office that's already term limited.

Don't think for a moment that his selection as Romney's running mate was accidental. He's the Koch brothers hand picked, bought and paid for successor to Barack Obama.

Well, he'll probably be a better candidate than Romney. Not sold on the idea of voting for him, though.

I, personally, like the idea of term limits. But I think the best way to approach it would be to amend the constitution to allow the states set their own term limits.

1. Strict, short term limits
2. Balanced Budget Amendment
3. Publicly-funded elections

Take the power away from those who abuse it most.

There's good arguments on both sides for ideas 1 and 2... and I'd prolly lean towards bein' for rather than bein' against 'em...

but publicly-funded elections is flat-out a bad idea... but I would be for absolute transparency regarding where the money is coming from...

1. Strict, short term limits
2. Balanced Budget Amendment
3. Publicly-funded elections

Take the power away from those who abuse it most.

I like all those
I'm sick of all these people making a career and living off us taxpayers. And it seems the longer they stay, the more corrupt they become

You really won't like them because once a politician comes up against his limit and no longer has to face the wrath of The People, his vote on any issues goes up for sale to the highest bidder.

Unfortunately I never hear of a politician facing any wrath. Seems like everybody gets mad at all politicians except for the ones they vote for.

One thing for sure, with the rigging of Congressional districts, there are term limits being imposed. Unfortunatley the "term" allows the politician in the rigged district to be in office for a much longer time than they might have been.

No I can't imagine a national level politician supporting real term limits. Nothing in it for them really.

There risks of terms limits are far fewer than the risks of continuing to be governed by long term incumbents - aka, professional grifters.

People like term limits for everyone else's Congressman...but they keep voting for their own.

really?
It seems Democrats vote for them until they die in office..
Kennedy
Byrd
and the beat goes on

And of course there are no Republicans that serve numerous successive terms, right Steph? No long term Republican legislators?

People like term limits for everyone else's Congressman...but they keep voting for their own.

really?
It seems Democrats vote for them until they die in office..
Kennedy
Byrd
and the beat goes on

And of course there are no Republicans that serve numerous successive terms, right Steph? No long term Republican legislators?

yes there is and I'm willing to term limit their asses too

Well, he'll probably be a better candidate than Romney. Not sold on the idea of voting for him, though.

I, personally, like the idea of term limits. But I think the best way to approach it would be to amend the constitution to allow the states set their own term limits.

No amendment needed. The states already have that power and some of them have done so, including Oklahoma and Washington.

Forum List

Back