Russia's revenue falls sharply in January from year earlier

toomuchtime_

Gold Member
Dec 29, 2008
MOSCOW (AP) — Russia's finance ministry said Monday that budget revenue in January was 35% lower compared with the same month in 2022, the last month before Russia sent troops into Ukraine.

The ministry also said the budget deficit for January was 1.77 trillion rubles ($23.9 billion), about 60% of the shortfall that had been planned for the entire year.

Oil and gas revenue, the backbone of Russia's economy, was down 46% compared with January 2022.

Western countries have declared a $60-per-barrel price cap on Russian crude oil as well as ceilings on refined oil products like diesel fuel and gasoline.

Russia has said it won’t sell oil to countries observing the limit, but the cap and falling demand from a slowing global economy has meant customers in China, India and elsewhere can buy Russian oil at steep discounts, cutting into the Kremlin’s revenue.

The Russian withdrawal from Ukraine is inevitable. The question is, will Putin refuse to give up until he has completely destroyed Russia or will he show himself to be a patriot and withdraw now?

"The United States believes Britain has lost its status as a first-tier military power.
A high-ranking U.S. general told British Defense Secretary Ben Wallace that Britain's army "is no longer considered a top-tier fighting force."

"Reports say the U.K. Army would run out of ammunition within days if it needed to fight, and it would take 10 years to field a modern combat division of 25,000 to 30,000 troops."

All taken offshore

Obviously. How could it not with so much of the world against them?

Yet, there they are still plugging away, undeterred in their destruction of Ukraine because Zelensky-Biden refuse to talk peace and compromise.
So your answer to my question is that Putin will not withdraw until Russia has been completely destroyed just as Hitler refused to quit until Germany had been completely destroyed.

Originally posted by toomuchtime
So your answer to my question is that Putin will not withdraw until Russia has been completely destroyed just as Hitler refused to quit until Germany had been completely destroyed.

No, he's saying Russia will liberate the provinces of Donetsk and Luhansk from Kiev's oppression and at least partially neutralize NATO's military encirclement of european Russia well before your "sky is falling" predictions materialize.

I am surprised that Russia has admitted these numbers. Maybe he is planning to start selling war bonds. He still controls their media and therefore controls the narrative on the streets.

Obviously. How could it not with so much of the world against them?

Yet, there they are still plugging away, undeterred in their destruction of Ukraine because Zelensky-Biden refuse to talk peace and compromise.
What compromise is possible when Russian troops still occupy parts of Ukraine that they seized going all the way back to 2014? When Russia pulls back beyond the 2001 Ukrainian border, then peace talks can happen.

"The United States believes Britain has lost its status as a first-tier military power.
A high-ranking U.S. general told British Defense Secretary Ben Wallace that Britain's army "is no longer considered a top-tier fighting force."

"Reports say the U.K. Army would run out of ammunition within days if it needed to fight, and it would take 10 years to field a modern combat division of 25,000 to 30,000 troops."

All taken offshore
The UK lost its status as a first-tier military power before 1950. WWI and WWII bankrupted the UK and killed off much of its breeding stock of people.

Russia's economy is so dangerously close to collapse that the IMF predicted a 0.3% growth in 2023 (tiny indeed, but still a growth).

Boris Grozovski, a Russian economics expert from the Wilson Center think tank, told Newsweek the most interesting aspect of the IMF forecast was its estimate of 0.3 percent GDP growth for Russia this year, compared with Moscow's prediction of a 0.8 percent decline.

"In 2022, the economic downturn wasn't as severe as expected, however it will be more prolonged," he said. "Actually, the economic dynamics in 2023 will depend on the course of the war, sanctions and oil prices.

"It seems to me that it is impossible to give a clear forecast for 2023 for now, but the decline of the economy by 1 to 2 percent, given the possible continuation of mobilization in Russia, seems more likely than economic growth.

"I think 2024 is too far from now," he added.

Russia's economy forecast to outperform U.S. within two years

Originally posted by AZrailwhale
What compromise is possible when Russian troops still occupy parts of Ukraine that they seized going all the way back to 2014? When Russia pulls back beyond the 2001 Ukrainian border, then peace talks can happen.

Super patriotic american clowns talk a lot about:

Ukrainians are fighting for their freedom!

Ukraine don't want to live under Moscow's rule!

And I completely agree this is a real, absolutely legitimate aspect of this war.

But as soon as you mention that Donetsk and Luhansk are also fighting for their freedom from Ukrainian rule all the liberty stuff goes immediately out of the window.

No, he's saying Russia will liberate the provinces of Donetsk and Luhansk from Kiev's oppression and at least partially neutralize NATO's military encirclement of european Russia well before your "sky is falling" predictions materialize.
I posted a report by the Russian government about the Russian economy beginning to collapse, not a rumor or prediction. The gist of the report is that the Russian government is shocked by how rapid the decline is and there is no way to reverse it. There have always been two wars going on, one on the battlefield and one between the Russian economy and the better part of the global economy and the report says clearly Russia has lost the second war and that means that with a rapidly failing economy Russia will not be able to pursue the war in Ukraine without drastically reducing the quality of life of the Russian people, and no victories on the battlefield will alleviate the sufferings of the Russia people.

So the question arises, will Putin, like Hitler, pursue this war until his country is destroyed, or will he decide to withdraw now to safe the Russian people? Your answer would seem to be that Putin will pursue this war until Russia has been completely destroyed.

Originally posted by toomuchtime
So the question arises, will Putin, like Hitler, pursue this war until his country is destroyed, or will he decide to withdraw now to safe the Russian people? Your answer would seem to be that Putin will pursue this war until Russia has been completely destroyed.

If you want to live in a parallel universe where the russian economy will be "completely destroyed" before Ukraine's social, economic, political and military collapse be my guest.

Russia's economy is so dangerously close to collapse that the IMF predicted a 0.3% growth in 2023 (tiny indeed, but still a growth).

Boris Grozovski, a Russian economics expert from the Wilson Center think tank, told Newsweek the most interesting aspect of the IMF forecast was its estimate of 0.3 percent GDP growth for Russia this year, compared with Moscow's prediction of a 0.8 percent decline.

"In 2022, the economic downturn wasn't as severe as expected, however it will be more prolonged," he said. "Actually, the economic dynamics in 2023 will depend on the course of the war, sanctions and oil prices.

"It seems to me that it is impossible to give a clear forecast for 2023 for now, but the decline of the economy by 1 to 2 percent, given the possible continuation of mobilization in Russia, seems more likely than economic growth.

"I think 2024 is too far from now," he added.

Russia's economy forecast to outperform U.S. within two years
And yet the results for January are so dramatically worse than what was expected that the sunny prediction you posted will have to be drastically revised downward.

"The ministry also said the budget deficit for January was 1.77 trillion rubles ($23.9 billion), about 60% of the shortfall that had been planned for the entire year."

Time's up, the Russian economy is failing now and there's no hope of reversing this.

If you want to live in a parallel universe where the russian economy will be "completely destroyed" before Ukraine's social, economic, political and military collapse be my guest.
The Russian economy is being destroyed right now by Putin's failed efforts to destroy the social, economic, political and military structures of Ukraine.

Forum List

Back