Russians Fleeing to Previously Unknown Backwater Known as Kyrgyzstan

odanny

Diamond Member
May 7, 2017
Midwest - Trumplandia
Interesting, all of a sudden this country has become a popular destination for Russians fleeing the Ukraine debacle, and many of them are wealthy. Now they must adjust to life in a developing country, but at least it is welcoming them.

Rents are skyrocketing, luxury hotels and grimy hostels don’t have beds to spare. And on the dusty, sunny streets of Bishkek, the capital of Kyrgyzstan, bands of young migrants, nearly all men, wander aimlessly, dazed at their world turned upside down — and their hasty, self-imposed exile to a poor, remote country that few could previously place on a map.

After leaving often well-paying jobs and families in Moscow and Vladivostok and many places in between, tens of thousands of young Russians — terrified of being dragooned into fighting in Ukraine — are pouring into Central Asia by plane, car and bus.

The influx has turned a country long scorned in Russia as a source of cheap labor and backward ways into an unlikely and, for the most part, welcoming haven for Russian men, some poor, many relatively affluent and highly educated — but all united by a desperate desire to escape being caught up in President Vladimir V. Putin’s war in Ukraine.

“I look up at the clear sky every day and give thanks that I am here,” said Denis, an events organizer from Moscow who on Friday joined scores of fellow Russians at a bar in Bishkek to rejoice at their escape and trade tips on places to sleep, getting Kyrgyz residency papers and finding work.

Kyrgyzstan.png

Interesting, all of a sudden this country has become a popular destination for Russians fleeing the Ukraine debacle, and many of them are wealthy. Now they must adjust to life in a developing country, but at least it is welcoming them.

Rents are skyrocketing, luxury hotels and grimy hostels don’t have beds to spare. And on the dusty, sunny streets of Bishkek, the capital of Kyrgyzstan, bands of young migrants, nearly all men, wander aimlessly, dazed at their world turned upside down — and their hasty, self-imposed exile to a poor, remote country that few could previously place on a map.

After leaving often well-paying jobs and families in Moscow and Vladivostok and many places in between, tens of thousands of young Russians — terrified of being dragooned into fighting in Ukraine — are pouring into Central Asia by plane, car and bus.

The influx has turned a country long scorned in Russia as a source of cheap labor and backward ways into an unlikely and, for the most part, welcoming haven for Russian men, some poor, many relatively affluent and highly educated — but all united by a desperate desire to escape being caught up in President Vladimir V. Putin’s war in Ukraine.

“I look up at the clear sky every day and give thanks that I am here,” said Denis, an events organizer from Moscow who on Friday joined scores of fellow Russians at a bar in Bishkek to rejoice at their escape and trade tips on places to sleep, getting Kyrgyz residency papers and finding work.

View attachment 705922

Latin America waits them , the stans are crap holes much like moscow ulus

I hear there are no traffic jams in Moscow. No official count on how many have left Russia for other countries, but it's supposedly over 500K and mostly men.

It's probably a pretty cool place, lots of mountains.

Russians have been going to all the Central Asian -stans, except maybe for Turkmenistan. And Georgia, Turkey and Serbia.

New Topics

Forum List

Back