Russia Starts Missile Supplies to India Despite U.S. Sanctions Risk

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
I spoke of India being wooed by Russia, especially if they believe that the West is in decline or, unwilling to confront China. India has a real danger with China on their border. In fact, some have stated that China has developed small villages in disputed territory (sound familiar?)

Why can't a Western country make a deal with India for weapons? This is Russias most advanced long range missile system.

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russia has started supplying India with S-400 air defence missile systems, Russian news agencies reported on Sunday citing Dmitry Shugayev, the head of the Russian military cooperation agency.

The supplies put India at risk of sanctions from the United States under a 2017 U.S. law aimed at deterring countries from buying Russian military hardware.

"The first supplies have already been started," Interfax cited Shugayev as saying on Sunday at an aerospace trade show in Dubai.
He said that the first unit of an S-400 systems will arrive in India by the end of this year.
The $5.5 billion deal for five long-range surface-to-air missile systems, which India says it needs to counter a threat from China, was signed in 2018.

And yet russia and china are good friends and military allies to an extent

I wasnt aware that india is not allowed to buy miliary weapons from western nations

And yet russia and china are good friends and military allies to an extent

I wasnt aware that india is not allowed to buy miliary weapons from western nations

Either was I, these sanctions are global it seems.

What can the U.S do now? Hit India with a sanction and risk further uncertainty, or, not sanction them and give a green light to the world that's Russias military is in business for them too?

I'm no expert, and they probably already spoke (India and the U.S) but, from my own perspective as someone who sees India as an important ally going forward, I see Russia as outplaying us in this arena, so best to play it smart. Russia doesn't want to see America too close to India, Trump was gaining major ground with Modi (this was potentially devestating for China, they have to be very pleased for a number of reasons that Trump lost).

Let India know that such a purchase is understandable due to their current conflict with China on their border but make it clear for the QUAD to have credibility, it can't be a continuous relationship. It's sort of like the scene in Goodfellas when Pauly tells Henry he doesn't want any junk being sold, but gives him a pass for doing so in prison due to the necessity of the situation.

sanctions usually don't work
....the US has a LOT of VERY dumbass laws.......and this one is very DUMB ....
..the Russians gave/sold MUCHO hardware to the Arabs---and the Israelis kicked their a$$ every time ....after the Arabs got their a$$ TOTALLY whipped in 1967, the Russians gave them more weapons--then the Israelis kicked their a$$ again
....the Israelis TOTALLY destroyed the Syrian Russian weapons

1714f3cb2493ef431bdced660f5e89ae.jpg

Research BRICs ..ENJOY

Either was I, these sanctions are global it seems.

What can the U.S do now? Hit India with a sanction and risk further uncertainty, or, not sanction them and give a green light to the world that's Russias military is in business for them too?

I'm no expert, and they probably already spoke (India and the U.S) but, from my own perspective as someone who sees India as an important ally going forward, I see Russia as outplaying us in this arena, so best to play it smart. Russia doesn't want to see America too close to India, Trump was gaining major ground with Modi (this was potentially devestating for China, they have to be very pleased for a number of reasons that Trump lost).

Let India know that such a purchase is understandable due to their current conflict with China on their border but make it clear for the QUAD to have credibility, it can't be a continuous relationship. It's sort of like the scene in Goodfellas when Pauly tells Henry he doesn't want any junk being sold, but gives him a pass for doing so in prison due to the necessity of the situation.
I suspect that when the chips are down India will act in its best interests with or without sanctions

If they use their navy to control the indian ocean for instance that hinders china in a war with the democracies over taiwan

I spoke of India being wooed by Russia, especially if they believe that the West is in decline or, unwilling to confront China. India has a real danger with China on their border. In fact, some have stated that China has developed small villages in disputed territory (sound familiar?)

Why can't a Western country make a deal with India for weapons? This is Russias most advanced long range missile system.

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russia has started supplying India with S-400 air defence missile systems, Russian news agencies reported on Sunday citing Dmitry Shugayev, the head of the Russian military cooperation agency.

The supplies put India at risk of sanctions from the United States under a 2017 U.S. law aimed at deterring countries from buying Russian military hardware.

"The first supplies have already been started," Interfax cited Shugayev as saying on Sunday at an aerospace trade show in Dubai.
He said that the first unit of an S-400 systems will arrive in India by the end of this year.
The $5.5 billion deal for five long-range surface-to-air missile systems, which India says it needs to counter a threat from China, was signed in 2018.
Air Defense missile system---not at all Russia's "most advanced long range missile system" It is a SAM system developed in the 1990's--I guess some new bells and whistles, but hardly cutting edge.
BTW..I seem to recall..is this not old news? Deal was done in 2018?

Big difference between Offensive and Defensive. As India is a nuclear power--it is US policy to limit delivery vehicles.
A defensive system is seen as an escalation--certainly by Pakistan--who is most likely the prime reason for this.

Forum List

Back