Russia Calls for International Verification Regime for High-Security Bio-Labs

munkle

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2012
The last time Russia and the US talked about this it was nixed by the Neocons and George W. Bush.

The BWC, which came into force in 1975, bans the development, stockpiling and use of biological and toxin weapons. Unlike its counterpart for chemical weapons, the Convention for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons, the treaty lacks an international watchdog organization to verify compliance.

An attempt to establish such an organization took place in the 1990s. The VEREX ad hoc committee spent a decade formulating proposals for surveillance, inspections, information sharing and other confidence-building measures.

The effort ultimately failed due to objections from the George W Bush administration which, in 2001, rejected a 210-page draft protocol. Washington claimed that it would not have improved the BWC, if implemented, and would have hurt US national security and commercial interests.

John Bolton, then-Undersecretary of State, said at the time that Washington was focusing its anti-germ warfare interest on Iraq. The existence of Saddam Hussein’s bioweapons project was “beyond dispute,” he claimed at the time. Two years later the US invaded Iraq under the pretext that it needed to destroy Iraqi weapons of mass destruction, which was later proven to be false.

The last time Russia and the US talked about this it was nixed by the Neocons and George W. Bush.

More smoke and mirrors from Putin.

Whatever else he's doing he's damned sure winning the propaganda war because so many here are blinded by their politics and hatred/distrust of anything gov't.

I never thought I'd see supposed republicans and conservatives at a point at which they whole country to them is just evil and failing anytime a dem holds the WH.

I"m used to the opposite from democrats but I'm ashamed to see it coming from our side.

Who are we going to put in charge of this, the WHO? :D

More smoke and mirrors from Putin.

Whatever else he's doing he's damned sure winning the propaganda war because so many here are blinded by their politics and hatred/distrust of anything gov't.

I never thought I'd see supposed republicans and conservatives at a point at which they whole country to them is just evil and failing anytime a dem holds the WH.

I"m used to the opposite from democrats but I'm ashamed to see it coming from our side.

Who are we going to put in charge of this, the WHO? :D

Jimmy Carter!

Forum List

Back