Rural Living, Homesteading

I used to--I grew up on a small farm---we had horses, ponies, chickens, goats, one donkey, etc. He was a good donkey--loved carrots and supervising the other creatures- much easier than dealing with horses.

A picture of my Rosie and our aka hubbys horse Tobacco. My first donkey came out of a Sears Roebuck catalog in the 1950s named Katy. Went down to the train station in Atlanta Georgia and picked them up.I love donkeys.
Rosie below I had since 1994 and gave away in 2002. She would get upset and put her head on my chest and just Hey and Haw.,

1647459382832.png

I whined and got a Kubota tractor with cutter, loader, and tiller 12 years ago. Last year I added a rear digger. It turned out to be almost everything needed except for small areas. That may not be available any more, but buying a used one and spending $500 for any given part not included might be a way in for rowing and going like a 20-year old when you're 70 and your body doesn't do what you tell it to do any more. hehehe... A less expensive way to tilling might be to get a tiller that has a feature of pushing itself. It would cost 1/20 less than the Kubota, except you might get your boots dirty, and you could pay $25. to a neighborhood kid who would be glad to trade his muscle for being a helping hand once in a while. You could also contact the local football coach to keep a player or two in shape off-season to work summers to keep your place spiffy. Helps him afford going to a movie now and then and you get some work done instead of feeling bad about feeling bad. The only other thing I can think of to help you get over hurting is a product on tv these days to help you get over hurting that old age brings just when you want to do some heavy lifting. It's something about factoring relief for pains that accompany aging. But before you go on a sales organization's self-review, you might go to a consumer review site first before you decide it is or is not for you: Consumer Review | Is Your Joint Support Product Effective? - See Top Picks!

It pays to be careful most of the time. Other times, you might be surprised how something works for several years. Some of us like to see our own elbows doing our work for us, and it's possibly cheaper if we learn the ins and outs of nutrition. Doing nothing, however, is the worst of all options, imho. For example, I failed to ask if I could run a marathon after knee replacement surgery. My physician said, "no" when I asked him 6 weeks post surgery and full-time rehab with certified rehabilitation therapists. lol Now my leg-and-hip sockets hurt. I'm going to try out the relief factor place, because I'm tired of thinking about gardening when the pain goes away. And it doesn't go away without a little cooperation on the sufferer's part. Just my two cents worth of useless advice. :heehee:

I like to use these guys .Healed my knee and stopped the terrible pain in our necks.

A picture of my Rosie and our aka hubbys horse Tobacco. My first donkey came out of a Sears Roebuck catalog in the 1950s named Katy. Went down to the train station in Atlanta Georgia and picked them up.I love donkeys.
Rosie below I had since 1994 and gave away in 2002. She would get upset and put her head on my chest and just Hey and Haw.,

View attachment 616822
Donkeys are more like sweet little kids---

Donkeys are more like sweet little kids---
Gotta love em, I agree they are like kids at times. Rosie would get upset with me and " hide" behind a tree, ears back and peep around. Not realizing her body stood out and only her head was hidden.

I whined and got a Kubota tractor with cutter, loader, and tiller 12 years ago. Last year I added a rear digger. It turned out to be almost everything needed except for small areas. That may not be available any more, but buying a used one and spending $500 for any given part not included might be a way in for rowing and going like a 20-year old when you're 70 and your body doesn't do what you tell it to do any more. hehehe... A less expensive way to tilling might be to get a tiller that has a feature of pushing itself. It would cost 1/20 less than the Kubota, except you might get your boots dirty, and you could pay $25. to a neighborhood kid who would be glad to trade his muscle for being a helping hand once in a while. You could also contact the local football coach to keep a player or two in shape off-season to work summers to keep your place spiffy. Helps him afford going to a movie now and then and you get some work done instead of feeling bad about feeling bad. The only other thing I can think of to help you get over hurting is a product on tv these days to help you get over hurting that old age brings just when you want to do some heavy lifting. It's something about factoring relief for pains that accompany aging. But before you go on a sales organization's self-review, you might go to a consumer review site first before you decide it is or is not for you: Consumer Review | Is Your Joint Support Product Effective? - See Top Picks!

It pays to be careful most of the time. Other times, you might be surprised how something works for several years. Some of us like to see our own elbows doing our work for us, and it's possibly cheaper if we learn the ins and outs of nutrition. Doing nothing, however, is the worst of all options, imho. For example, I failed to ask if I could run a marathon after knee replacement surgery. My physician said, "no" when I asked him 6 weeks post surgery and full-time rehab with certified rehabilitation therapists. lol Now my leg-and-hip sockets hurt. I'm going to try out the relief factor place, because I'm tired of thinking about gardening when the pain goes away. And it doesn't go away without a little cooperation on the sufferer's part. Just my two cents worth of useless advice. :heehee:

Hope your feeling better.
We can't afford to buy a tractor and don't want any debt. But we sure have thought about it or at least rent a Bobcat to do some clearing..

Hope your feeling better.
We can't afford to buy a tractor and don't want any debt. But we sure have thought about it or at least rent a Bobcat to do some clearing..
Good luck. I wish you a sharing neighbor out there.

Edit: Hey, I found the ticket for tilling if you already have a riding mower, and it's a lot cheaper than buying a full-fledged tractor:

Last edited:
Good luck. I wish you a sharing neighbor out there.

Edit: Hey, I found the ticket for tilling if you already have a riding mower, and it's a lot cheaper than buying a full-fledged tractor:

Thank you ,that is neat. May look into it.:smile:

Okay but people in 1800 didn't know how good peanut butter and banana were, let alone together.

We grew p-nuts years ago, and have a banana tree I'll have to cover well by Friday to protect from hard freeze coming. Temps here around 20F this weekend.

I do my best on a 10,000 sq ft lot in an older neighborhood. I have chickens and a garden and do alot of canning.

I did try turkeys a couple of times, just for the freezer. In some ways they are easier than chickens, some ways a PITA. The last ones I had found their gobble when the neighbor had company over for a BBQ. Every time they laughed, the turkeys would gobble back. It was funny but also embarrassing, They took the freezer trip the next day.

We ordered 10 3 day old peeps from Ideal Poultry about 3 months ago ,they will be laying in a couple months. Our hens are over 4 so it was time, but don't think we will keep all 10,too much upkeep.

We ordered 10 3 day old peeps from Ideal Poultry about 3 months ago ,they will be laying in a couple months. Our hens are over 4 so it was time, but don't think we will keep all 10,too much upkeep.

Have you ever raised Cornish X for meat? From day old chicks to the freezer in about 8 weeks.

Yes but for now we only use eggs, no meat. No kill unless we have to, we are hypocrites when it comes to that, we let others kill for our chicken meat.
I don't blame you. It's a whole lot easier to just buy the chicken meat. And as long as the prices aren't too crazy, I'll keep buying it cause butchering is alot of work

I don't blame you. It's a whole lot easier to just buy the chicken meat. And as long as the prices aren't too crazy, I'll keep buying it cause butchering is alot of work

It sure is and even worse when your seniors .and I mean right out of high school,lol.
If something isn't broke its about to be.And who can afford to hire someone to do it?

It sure is and even worse when your seniors .and I mean right out of high school,lol.
If something isn't broke its about to be.And who can afford to hire someone to do it?
Just a year or two ago, I could do 10 birds in a day by myself. I don't have any special equipment, just a big stock pot and a sharp knife. Now I'm pushing it to do 5 birds. It's exhausting and I figure as long as prices for whole chickens are less than $2lb, (my top price I'm willing to pay) it's just easier to buy them. No fuss, no muss.......and in overall price comparison it's about the same.

Turkeys on the other hand........may be cheaper to raise them, but then comes the headache of raising them.......with dogs, neighbors and no good shelter set up........and I'd probably need help on the other end of it. Last time, my youngest son got the biology lesson of a lifetime when he helped butcher.........but he refused to ever do that again :auiqs.jpg:

Forum List

Back