Running Scared:GOP/Tea Party Charge To Attend Town Hall Meetings

Truthseeker420

Gold Member
Mar 30, 2011
Home of the 2013 BCS National Champion
It's no secret that Americans are growing increasingly angry at the Republicans in Congress, whether because their political gamesmanship and hostage taking led to the first ever lowering of the credit rating of the United States of America, or because their increasing obstinacy in the face of overwhelming public support for restoring the tax rates of the richest Americans to sane levels, or because the increasing threats by the Republicans to the stability of Social Security and Medicare are threats to the American people. Now that Congress is on a five week vacation, they have the opportunity to do one of the most important things an elected official can do - listen to their own constituents. But with Republicans across the country facing angry and hostile crowds who will not accept empty talking points from their elected representatives, it looks like more and more of them are running scared. With so many Americans unemployed and struggling to feed their families, the Republicans have taken to charging an admission fee for the "privilege" of talking to the people who in reality are merely employees of the public.

Do you think it's appropriate for elected representatives to charge a fee to their own constituents to attend a Town Hall Meeting? I certainly don't. I pay my Congressman's salary, along with everyone else in my district. He works for me, and if he wants to keep his job he'd better acknowledge that.

Article excerpt follows:

Talk to Ryan? It'll cost you
By: Reid J. Epstein
August 16, 2011 06:18 AM EDT

It will cost $15 to ask Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) a question in person during the August congressional recess.

Running Scared: Republicans Charge Fees To Attend Town Hall Meetings

It's no secret that Americans are growing increasingly angry at the Republicans in Congress, whether because their political gamesmanship and hostage taking led to the first ever lowering of the credit rating of the United States of America, or because their increasing obstinacy in the face of overwhelming public support for restoring the tax rates of the richest Americans to sane levels, or because the increasing threats by the Republicans to the stability of Social Security and Medicare are threats to the American people. Now that Congress is on a five week vacation, they have the opportunity to do one of the most important things an elected official can do - listen to their own constituents. But with Republicans across the country facing angry and hostile crowds who will not accept empty talking points from their elected representatives, it looks like more and more of them are running scared. With so many Americans unemployed and struggling to feed their families, the Republicans have taken to charging an admission fee for the "privilege" of talking to the people who in reality are merely employees of the public.

Do you think it's appropriate for elected representatives to charge a fee to their own constituents to attend a Town Hall Meeting? I certainly don't. I pay my Congressman's salary, along with everyone else in my district. He works for me, and if he wants to keep his job he'd better acknowledge that.

Article excerpt follows:

It will cost $15 to ask Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) a question in person during the August congressional recess.

I'd just go out on a limb and hazard a guess that nothing the Tea Party or GOP did would please your sorry ass. But, that's just me.

Article excerpt follows:

I'd love to go if they come to my town. But they probably wouldn't let me ask questions....unless I submit a fake question, then pull a Trojan Horse question on his ass.

Forum List

Back