Run In With The Law...

Canon Shooter

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2020
Yesterday, a friend and I were driving through the thriving metropolis of Gifford, South Carolina. We were in a 55mph zone, but we entering a populated area so the speed limit decreased to 45, and then to 35mph. I was slowing down but, apparently, I wasn't slowing down fast enough. A Dodge Charger, coming the other way, hit the blues, made a u-turn and pulled me over.

The police officer was a very pleasant and professional black woman: South Carolina State Trooper Erika Abram.

She asked me for my license, etal, and while looking for my proof of insurance (my glove box is like a rat's nest), I said "Do you mind if I ask why you pulled me over?"

"I clocked you doing 57 on a 35."

"Huh. I didn't think this car could even go 57 miles per hour."

She chuckled and said "It can. I have proof."

She asked where we were going, and I told her. She asked if we had any weapons or drugs in the car, and I informed her that I had my H&K .45 in the center console. She asked if I had a permit, and I said I did, and produced it, handing it to her. She looked at me and said "Well, you don't touch your gun and I won't touch mine."

"Deal!" I said.

She went back to her car to do whatever it is cops do when they're gonna' give you a ticket, then came back to my car. I looked up at her and said "You know, it's my birthday today (and it was)."

She said she saw that and, as I was cooperative and not a dick (my characterization, not hers) she knocked it down to exceeding the speed limit, but by less than 10 miles an hour. The resulting fine is $77, as opposed to the $460 it would've cost me had she written me up for going 22 miles an hour over the limit (which I still don't think I was doing, but whatever). She also thanked me for letting her know about the legal handgun in my vehicle.

Amazingly, no one got tasered, no one got shot and no one went to jail. Respect was on a two-way street yesterday...

1626573349997.png

Yesterday, a friend and I were driving through the thriving metropolis of Gifford, South Carolina. We were in a 55mph zone, but we entering a populated area so the speed limit decreased to 45, and then to 35mph. I was slowing down but, apparently, I wasn't slowing down fast enough. A Dodge Charger, coming the other way, hit the blues, made a u-turn and pulled me over.

The police officer was a very pleasant and professional black woman: South Carolina State Trooper Erika Abram.

She asked me for my license, etal, and while looking for my proof of insurance (my glove box is like a rat's nest), I said "Do you mind if I ask why you pulled me over?"

She asked where we were going, and I told her. She asked if we had any weapons or drugs in the car, and I informed her that I had my H&K .45 in the center console. She asked if I had a permit, and I said I did, and produced it, handing it to her. She looked at me and said "Well, you don't touch your gun and I won't touch mine."

"Deal!" I said.

She went back to her car to do whatever it is cops do when they're gonna' give you a ticket, then came back to my car. I looked up at her and said "You know, it's my birthday today (and it was)."

She said she saw that and, as I was cooperative and not a dick (my characterization, not hers) she knocked it down to exceeding the speed limit, but by less than 10 miles an hour. The resulting fine is $77, as opposed to the $460 it would've cost me had she written me up for going 22 miles an hour over the limit (which I still don't think I was doing, but whatever). She also thanked me for letting her know about the legal handgun in my vehicle.

Amazingly, no one got tasered, no one got shot and no one went to jail. Respect was on a two-way street yesterday...
Respect is always a two way street. Most of my contacts with cops have been similar. I make a point to not be confrontational and to be cooperative. Of course at one point in my life I wanted to be a cop and as one of my instructors said, far more people talk themselves into trouble with cops than talk their way out of trouble. The main lesson he taught us about dealing with a bad cop was not to argue; cooperate and let the lawyers sort it out in court. A civilian never wins by arguing with a cop. The closest I ever came was when I was pulled over for running a stop sign several blocks back when I had just pulled out of a supermarket. I asked the cop if I could open the trunk, pulled out the time stamped sales receipt. After examining it, he apologized and sent me on my way. Now if I had gotten up in his face and argued, I would have wound up handcuffed and in jail.

"Deal!" I said.

And if you post a nice message thanking police officers, and a gofundme to raise the $77, you can probably raise 700. Use that to pay the ticket, donate to a good charity nonprofit, and pocket the difference for your birthday present.

New Topics

Forum List

Back