Rosie O'Donnell

cranston36

Apr 11, 2006
The other day Rosie O’Donnell made a joke on ‘The View’ about what a newscaster in China might say about Danny Devito’s appearance on the show.
She caricatured a Chinese newscaster and New York City Councilman John Liu, who is apparently more attached to his Chinese race than his American citizenship was offended by it.
First of all I wonder if John Liu watches ‘The View’ regularly. If he does I have to comment that most of us are at work when the show is on. Additionally if a middle aged man is recording ‘The View’ and watching it in the evening (it is primarily targeted for women) then there are some other questions I would ask – but they are not pertinent to this issue.
At issue is John Liu’s response. It seems out of proportion to the comic antics of the comedian on television. Is there more behind his frustration than he is revealing?
I was offended more by his remarks than by Rosie O’Donnell’s comedic routine.
Because I was offended I wrote an email to John Liu and do you know what he did? His official New York City Council web site added me, without prompts or asking me, to his online group. Here is what he sent me :
"[email protected] has added you to the JohnLiuNYCCouncil group with this message:
Welcome to the Office of Council Member John C. Liu.
Thank you for contacting us and joining our network of
friends and citizen activists. This email list is designed
to help you stay updated on the latest news and activities
at City Hall. Together we can create a better New York!"
It would seem that John Liu has used remarks by a television comedian to further his own political career.
I am a New Yorker. I was born and raised there. I lived in Elmhurst, New York, which, at the time I was growing up there, was the most ethnically diverse neighborhood in the United States of America. At one point I believe it was boasted that at least one citizen from every nation on earth lived there.
So when I tell you that I think that John Liu’s position and remarks are offensive to me you are getting a broad view and not some racist attitude, as I feel, John Liu has displayed openly and brazenly.
Humor is a powerful tool. John Liu would like to take it away from us. It is my opinion that you are either American or you are not. A hyphen does not an American make, no matter how many people vote for you.
At this time Communist China is ravaging the American economy. Men like John Liu are apparently not comfortable with the truth. Many Americans have lost their jobs, been forced out of their homes and have lost forever there hopes of achieving the American dream. But in New York thousands of illegal immigrants from China continue to arrive and continue to take jobs there. Jobs that should attract out-of-work rural Americans from North Carolina to California are being turned over to illegal immigrants who accept slave wages.
Here in Michigan illegal Chinese immigrants on their way to Chicago and New York sweatshops cross the Detroit River by boat regularly.
John Liu hasn’t said anything meaningful about that horrible practice as far as I can tell.
To continue, however, as I know that New York City cannot stop this national tragedy (even though it should stop encouraging it) I have to say that John Liu’s remarks offend me on several other levels as well.
Right after the World Trade Center was destroyed (by legal immigrants from Saudi Arabia) the national attitude toward New York softened. Prior to that it was hardening into a hatred that is hard to explain to a New Yorker, let alone someone like John Liu.
It is best summed up by the Pace Picante sauce commercial – where cowboys denigrate and attack another cowboy for using sauce made in New York City.
It may seem a minor point but it demonstrates the attitude that New Yorkers receive when they leave the city. I know. I have seen it from Seattle to Texas to New England to the South. As I mentioned, after 9/11, it softened as America pulled together, but lately it has been reverting. Remarks like those made by John Liu invite ridicule of New York.
The negative attitude towards New York includes viewing it as weak and whiny. Certainly John Liu’s comments can be seen in that light.
It also presents to the rest of America a united front against them – for example – here is John Liu – a member of one of the most populous races on earth taking umbrage at a joke that was language and not race oriented. The overtones and undertones of his remarks and behavior are onerous. Describing his remarks to American citizens not living in New York brings a scowl of derision not for Rosie O’Donnell but against John Liu and ultimately the city itself which is viewed as being out of touch with America and reality in general.
I have to ask – doesn’t John Liu have any important work to do or is the New York City Council a bunch of do-nothing hecklers?
The crime rate is still spectacular – is it not?
The problem of waste disposal is still looming – is it not?
Illegal immigration remains a major industry – does it not?
Lack of opportunity for native youth still nags – does it not?
The Hudson River is still an ecological mess – is it not?
Air quality remains foul – does it not?
Unemployment remains a problem – does it not?
Drug dealers and drug use still gouge the city – do they not?
Competition from West Coast cities continue to drag the economy – does it not?
I have to say that I find the inclusion of Chinese characters on street signs and at subway stops to be offensive and I request that the New York City Council immediately remove the symbols from public signs. It is offensive that immigrants from China, many illegal, do not have the courage and tenacity to learn English in the nation that they forced themselves into.
I also believe that referring to an area in downtown Manhattan as ‘China Town’ in travel brochures and city literature is offensive and outdated. I believe it should stop immediately. Chinese restaurants and stores in the City of New York should compete equally with their American counterparts without exploiting their racist bigotry.
John Liu has embarrassed the New York City Council, New York City itself and the millions of citizens who live there without inciting racial hatred or bitterness towards other through jealousy and ignorance.

As for offensive behavior of Chinese customs I need only bring to your attention to the official office opening ceremony of Cotton Incorporated’s office in Communist China when Americans were forced to witness and participate in a ceremony that involved a one-eyed dragon which remains on guard at the office entrance to this day.
Additionally take note of the ‘Chinese Naming Ceremony’ used for panda births in Atlanta, Georgia and San Diego, California. Steeped in superstition and Communist propaganda the zoos had to comply with the official Chinese Communist ceremonies in order to register the birth of the pandas with the repressive and murderous government in Peking.
In the face of these bizarre activities, the fact that Communist Chinese troops recently arrived in Pakistan I take issue with Mr. Liu’s racist comments.

John Liu’s behavior and the manner in which such a low-level government official could gain national attention is just another reason for New York City to be broken up.
It is too large to govern properly. It is flooded with corruption, crime and politicians eager for attention rather than able to perform their simple duties.
As for the New York City Council - their focus appears diffuse to say the least. To give an example of their wandering interests take a look at suggested ‘General Issues’ that you can contact Christine Quinn about at her website :
http://www.nyccouncil.info/rightnow/contactspkr.cfm
1. Animal Care
2. Child Care
3. Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender
4. Nightlife Safety
5. Waterfront
I wonder if 4 and 5 don’t rightly belong with number 3.
Do you think that Mr. Liu’s behavior should be allowed to continue without his being reigned in - or does his Chinese-ness provide some magical protection to him from the rule of law, common sense and common courtesy?
:eusa_whistle:

Well, Mr. P, how many 'Made in China' guns do you own?
Buy American

Tis the season to be jorry :

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HvL1gCGPxM[/ame]

What Rosie said was not a joke. It was her blasting of Chinese, actually all Asians. She is a bigot, though she wants her homosexual status given precedence. Narcissistic fool.

Eden317.jpg

:rolleyes:

Forum List

Back