Ron Paul on drugs.

Do you own your own body? If so, then by what right does anybody tell you what you can or can't ingest, inhale, inject, or otherwise into it?

correct
there are many substances we injest .inhale eat .drink into our body that are ...not good for us ... i dont want a nanny state tellling me what i can and cant do with or to my body

Do you own your own body? If so, then by what right does anybody tell you what you can or can't ingest, inhale, inject, or otherwise into it?

And yet Paul is opposed to privacy rights with regard to abortion; so much for individual liberty, so much for restricted government.

It's called freedom. How hard is that to understand?

Freedom means you are free to do as you wish, knowing there are consequences.

If a store owner wants to put up "Chinese only", with freedom the person can. If there are enough Chinese to support his business, good for him. If not, or if the majority of Chinese decide not to shop there because he won't allow others, then the business fails.

Freedom means unless you directly harm someone (discrimination doesn't count), you do as you want.

Discrimination isn’t a harmful act? Fortunately the Constitution and Supreme Court disagree with you both.

Heart of Atlanta Motel, Inc. v. United States

Lets not forget he wants to make it legal for a business to say "no blacks allowed" as well.

Ron Paul is fucking nuts.
its not a matter of discrimination its more a matter of CHOICE as to who you socialize and do business with .

dont have a problem with BLACKS only bars ,GAYS only restuarants UNION members only clubs CHURCH members only dinner etc etc
why is it when its a WHITES ONLY choice theres a problem

And yet Paul is opposed to privacy rights with regard to abortion; so much for individual liberty, so much for restricted government.

He doesn't believe that it is a privacy issue. He believes that it is a issue of what is the government's responsibility in defining and defending life. Once again, he wants the federal government out of this argument. He favors restricted government, not an overarching one.

You are really making much ado about nothing. Abortion would never be illegal under Paul.

No, Ron Paul is not on drugs...this is his position on legalizing drugs in his own words:

Q: If you are elected president in 2008, what positive and significant legacy, if any, will you leave for Black Americans?

A: I would like to believe that if we had a freer society, it would take care of Blacks and whites and everybody equally because we’re all individuals. To me, that is so important. But if we had equal justice under the law, I think it would be a big improvement. If we had probably a repeal of most of the federal laws on drugs and the unfairness on how Blacks are treated with these drugs laws, it would be a tremendous improvement.

And also, I think that if you’re going to have prosperity, it serves everybody. And if this is done by emphasizing property rights and freedom of the individuals, making sure that the powerful special interests don’t control Washington, that the military industrial complex doesn’t suck away all the wealth of the country, and then we would have prosperity.

Not just Marijuana...all drugs...crack, coke, meth, heroin...all drugs legalized.

Discuss.

I thought you were for states rights?

No, Ron Paul is not on drugs...this is his position on legalizing drugs in his own words:
Q: If you are elected president in 2008, what positive and significant legacy, if any, will you leave for Black Americans?

A: I would like to believe that if we had a freer society, it would take care of Blacks and whites and everybody equally because we’re all individuals. To me, that is so important. But if we had equal justice under the law, I think it would be a big improvement. If we had probably a repeal of most of the federal laws on drugs and the unfairness on how Blacks are treated with these drugs laws, it would be a tremendous improvement.

And also, I think that if you’re going to have prosperity, it serves everybody. And if this is done by emphasizing property rights and freedom of the individuals, making sure that the powerful special interests don’t control Washington, that the military industrial complex doesn’t suck away all the wealth of the country, and then we would have prosperity.

Not just Marijuana...all drugs...crack, coke, meth, heroin...all drugs legalized.

Discuss.

Could certainly be a good idea... depending on the details.

Certainly almost ANY idea that decriminalizes what is not a CRIME ought to be considered.

Discuss.

I do not agree that all drugs should be legalized--especially the ones that kill people. That would be meth--crack--cocain and heroin.

However--Marijuana--a completely organic plant- should be legalized--regulated and taxed. Estimates are that over 50% of this country uses marijuana-or have used it-and the majority are closet smokers. They come from all walks of life--including professionals--along with hard working--law abiding--tax paying citizens--that prefer marijuana to relax with--versus alcohol. This country simply cannot afford to lock up non violent citizens--simply because they got caught smoking pot.

16 states currently have voter approved medical marijuana. YES there are medical benefits to marijuana--in fact--the largest lobbyist against medical marijuana is none other than the pharmacutical industry in this country. In my medical marijuana state--we are regulated by the state--and have virtually seen no crime involved--unlike alcohol related crime and violence. It has added millions in state tax revenue and also created private sector jobs.

Furthermore there has never been one person that has ended up in an emergency room over an overdose of marijuana--and we certainly can't say that with any other drugs. Yet marijuana is right up there as a schedule 1 substance along with herion--crack/cocain--and now the worst meth. It's ridiculous--and it's all due to 60 years of nonsense propoganda.

We have wasted over 1 trillion tax payer dollars in the 60 year war on marijuana that hasn't even put a dent into the flow of it. It's time to stop this insanity--and legalize marijuana--so we can regulate it and tax it. Prohibition did not work with alcohol--and we have 60 years experience--along with 1 trillion taxpayer dollars wasted-- knowing it hasn't worked with marijuana.
drugs that kill people alcohol ,nicotine these are drugs of choose cocaine is a drug of choose whats the differance

Cocain is made with diesel fuel and other chemicals.

While I know that alcohol is probably the MOST lethal legal drug out there--you have to be realistic at the same time. Marijuana doesn't kill anyone--there has NEVER been an incident of anyone showing up in an emergency room for an overdose of it. Because it is an organic plant. Millions of Americans are closet smokers.

Paul is not electable-legalizing all hard core drugs. We now have oxy cotton that is getting a real name for itself. It's out there killing young people.

However--if any of the other republican candidates--got up in front of a podeum--and stated they are going to reduce the penalties for marijuana use--this nation would see a unprecedented landslide of independents voting for them--simply because most Americans know that we have wasted over 1 trillion tax payer dollars in the war on marijuana over the last 60 years that hasn't even put a dent into it.

We have 4 Presidents (on both sides of the isle) that have openly admitted they have used marijuana--and yet we're still locking people up for it. Unbelievable.

Discuss.

Not long after this, the courts agreed with Paul on the disparity of sentencing for cocaine possession versus crack and shortened a lot of sentences.

This is the 30% of things Paul says I agree with. Well, to an extent. I think MJ should be fully legalized (not just Medicinal MJ, which I think has (sadly) become a canard). I don't think crack, cocaine, methamphetamines, or heroin should be legalized. We have a give enough problem with people abusing prescription opiods. I can't imagine how bad it would be if people start managing their "chronic pain syndrome" with heroin.

Drugs that are dangerous and highly addictive should be illegal. (Spare me the alcohol and cigarettes lecture. The cat is out of the bag on those items and our society already absorbs the cost of abuse of those drugs).

Just as it's within the Federal Government's prerogative to regulate consumer products for purity and safety, I think it's within their scope to regulate inherently unsafe products. Even if that is telling people what they can and can't put into their body in the most extreme of cases.

Of course, I don't claim to be a libertarian.

While I know that alcohol is probably the MOST lethal legal drug out there--you have to be realistic at the same time. Marijuana doesn't kill anyone--there has NEVER been an incident of anyone showing up in an emergency room for an overdose of it. Because it is an organic plant. Millions of Americans are closet smokers.

No. But people certainly show up in the ER because of MJ. I saw someone the other day and this:

Cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Was on the differential. In addition, we are seeing a lot of people with pneumothorax:

Pneumothorax - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Associated with smoking THC. It's not this wonderfully benign drug that the rabidly pro-legalization crowd claims it is (and don't get me started on the bullshit claims it cures cancer).

Like any foreign substance people ingest, it has the potential to harm the body. What it is not is physiologically addictive. For that reason, I think it should be legal.

Basically this dude is not winning anything, his views are too far out there, he reminds me of a white version of Louis Farrakhan.

I believe his focus is on the liberty of the child.

Forum List

Back