Romney's top five flip-flops...

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
...according to
Washington Post GovWatch

On Abortion: GovWatch: 2002: “preserve & protect” right to choose

Top Romney Flip Flops: #1. Abortion:In October 2002, campaigning for governorship of Massachusetts, Mitt Romney said he would “preserve and protect” a woman’s right to choose. He now describes himself as opposing abortion.

Source: GovWatch on 2008 campaign: “Top Ten Flip-Flops” Feb 5, 2008

On Civil Rights: GovWatch: 1994: Favored gays serving openly in military

Top Romney Flip Flops: #2. Gay Rights:In a 1994 letter to the Log Cabin Republicans, who advocate gay rights, Romney said he was in favor of “gays and lesbians being able to serve openly and honestly” in the military. He now says it would be a mistake to interfere with the “don’t ask, don’t tell policy.”

On Government Reform: GovWatch: 1994: advocated spending limit on elections

Top Romney Flip Flops: #4. Campaign Finance:In 1994, Romney advocated a spending limit on congressional elections and abolition of political action committees. In 2002, he supported public financing of campaigns from a 10 percent tax on private fund-raising. In 2008, he attacked the McCain-Feingold law limiting campaign contributions as an attack on free speech.

On Gun Control: GovWatch: 1994: did not “line up with the NRA”

Top Romney Flip Flops: #3. Gun Control:Campaigning for the Senate in 1994, Romney said he favored strong gun laws and did not “line up with the NRA.” He signed up for “lifetime membership” of the NRA in August 2006 while pondering a presidential run, praising the group for “doing good things” and “supporting the right to bear arms.”

On Immigration: GovWatch: 2005: Called comprehensive reform “reasonable”

Top Romney Flip Flops: #5. Immigration:In a November 2005 interview with the Boston Globe, he described immigration reform proposal advanced by McCain as “reasonable.” He now denounces it as an “amnesty plan.” In December 2006, he signed agreement authorizing state troopers to round up illegal immigrants.

On Civil Rights: GovWatch: Father supported MLK, but never marched with him

“I saw my father march with Martin Luther King”
--Mitt Romney, “Faith in America” address, December 6, 2007.This one comes at the top of my list for 2007, for two reasons.
(1) Romney was not speaking off the cuff. He had plenty of time to think about what he was saying and do his research. The Boston Herald quoted Romney as saying that “my father and I marched with King” as far back as 1978.
(2) He continued to defend the statement after it was challenged, arguing about the meaning of the word “saw.”
As governor of Michigan, George Romney supported the civil rights movement, but the Romney campaign has not been able to show that he ever marched with King. Rather than acknowledge the mistake, the campaign put the Politico website in touch with eyewitnesses who claimed that they had seen George Romney “hand in hand.” Contemporaneous newspaper reports show that the two men were in different parts of the country on the date in question.

Source: GovWatch on 2008 Pinocchio Awards for Biggest Fib of 2007 Jan 1, 2008

Sort of like Perry now flip flopping on his executive order to force 12 year old girls to get injections of a dangerous vaccine.

Newsflash: saying "I was wrong for issuing that executive order" isn't a flip-flop, it's excepting responsibility for a poor decision.

Not that I expect an Obama supporter to recognize a politician excepting responsibility...they've never seen it before.

Sort of like Perry now flip flopping on his executive order to force 12 year old girls to get injections of a dangerous vaccine.

Newsflash: saying "I was wrong for issuing that executive order" isn't a flip-flop, it's excepting responsibility for a poor decision.

Not that I expect an Obama supporter to recognize a politician excepting responsibility...they've never seen it before.

Some call it accepting but then again with Perry's dismal education record, I wouldn't expect a Perry supporter to know how to spell.

Is that a quote? He said "I was wrong for issuing that executive order"?

Do you think he'll have the fires out by Christmas? They are still burning and he can't seem to figure out how to put a fire out.

I don't care what any of you say, I'm still voting for Alfred E Newman..... whichever one he may be.......

...according to
Washington Post GovWatch

Top Romney Flip Flops: #1. Abortion:In October 2002, campaigning for governorship of Massachusetts, Mitt Romney said he would “preserve and protect” a woman’s right to choose. He now describes himself as opposing abortion.

He's been pandering so much lately and yet his game is getting better. It's the nature of the beast, he has to look good to the right people in order to win.

I still prefer him to any of the other GOP candidates.

...according to
Washington Post GovWatch

Firstly, all politicians 'flip flop'.... All of them. No matter who they are.

Secondly, I am opposed to abortion. However, being a conservative means that we uphold the freedom of the individual. That is what our country was founded on - individual freedom. Therefore, I have no right to inflict my own personal belief on others. They have the same rights that I do. Therefore, they have the right to choose, just like I do. Not rocket science.

Perry supporters are frantic now that his facade has been cracked. His moonbatness was exposed for all to see.

Happens all the time when dimocrats switch parties because they need an (R) after their name to get elected.

Perry supporters are frantic now that his facade has been cracked. His moonbatness was exposed for all to see.

Happens all the time when dimocrats switch parties because they need an (R) after their name to get elected.

Translation: Yes, these are the facts...I cannot refute them....but I have to say something...

New Topics

Forum List

Back