Romney

I do think that as a business man he will work to create policy that is pro business and THAT is what we really need right now. All other issues can wait for another day- but what we need is that other day. All the peripheral issues that can matter in a normal election cycle are simply unimportant given the economic quagmire we are in. So who is best suited to tackle that problem? When I forgot all the peripheral issues and just looked through that lens-Romney stood out.

Well, the last thing I want to see is government ran like a business. But even if I agreed with you on that point, again I have to ask - what leads you to believe he would do any of the things he says? Why do you think he would be any more honest than Obama? OR Bush?

I am not asking for, nor saying that, Romney is going to run government like a business. What I am saying is, that due to his understanding of business, he knows what government can do to get the business engine running again. And I do want a president that can do that...as I am sure you do as well.

I don't want that. A president who gets out of the way of business and lets them run rough shod over the country is a president who is not doing his job.

You all need to stop thinking of businesses as these kind, benevolent beings. They aren't Santa.

Last edited:
Well, the last thing I want to see is government ran like a business.

I am not asking for, nor saying that, Romney is going to run government like a business. What I am saying is, that due to his understanding of business, he knows what government can do to get the business engine running again. And I do want a president that can do that...as I am sure you do as well.

No, actually I don't. I don't want a government preoccupied with mashing the gas on GDP. I want a government that worries about matters of justice and protects our freedom to live the way we want. One that stays out of the way and allows each of us the freedom to pursue our own version of the good life - not one that defines the good life for us and pushes us to adopt it.

IN any case, that's a sidetrack from the point I was trying to make about Romney. To repeat: "But even if I agreed with you on that point, again I have to ask - what leads you to believe he would do any of the things he says? Why do you think he would be any more honest than Obama? OR Bush?"

Right now our freedoms and rights are in jeopardy due to an economic crisis- Romney is no threat to our 2nd amendment freedoms-as he clearly stated, that is a legislative undertaking- he has views on the matter, but sees NO need for legislation on gun laws.

I believe that due to his own success in business he understands what produces, and what hinders, growth. I believe that his own bottom line, coupled with his capitalist ideology, underscores his desire for a strong America. He believes that a capitalist system is the best way to help people.

Last edited:
Well, the last thing I want to see is government ran like a business. But even if I agreed with you on that point, again I have to ask - what leads you to believe he would do any of the things he says? Why do you think he would be any more honest than Obama? OR Bush?

I don't want that. A president who gets out of the way of business and lets them run rough shod over the country is a president who is not doing his job.

You all need to stop thinking of businesses as these kind, benevolent beings. They aren't Santa.

Santa with a gun is what our current congress and president want...

Business simply wants to make money...lots and lots of wonderful money...oh yeah!

I know that many of my fellow republican's are not keen on Romney. I admit that at first I was not so much either- Then I started listening to him. The guy is just what we need in this economic climate. His ideas WILL work at jump-starting the economy. He understands what kind of policy and legislation is necessary to loosen the purse strings of business and investors.

Does it really matter if he's anti gay marriage? Is gay marriage really what's driving our economic downturn?

We have had 4 years of charm and charisma- Obama the perfect representation of an empty suit. Perry is a loose cannon; Paul is an ideological theorist, important voice- with unrealistic positions. Bachmann IMO is not proving real leadership when she backs down from questions about her evangelicalism and uses TEA Party affiliation as her own personal voting block.

I think Romney understands that the priority needs to be the economy. That he knows exactly how to implement the necessary repairs to start our economic engine.

So he's going to do with America what he did to AmPad? You know, fire everyone, take on a shitload of debt, and then pawn off worthless stock on the stockholders before they file bankruptcy while his cronies collect "management fees".

Romney remains the worst person the GOP could possibly nominate, which is why he'll probably get the nomination. The GOP establishment might play to the TEA party and religious right, but have as much contempt for them as the Democrats have. Pass the "Grey Poopon"

Unless, of course, the majority of GOP voters have the good sense to reject them and pick their own candidate, not theirs.

Link

<snip>
But Southerners shouldn’t rule out Romney and Romney is certainly right to not give up the South without a fight. Not only did he do well in Florida the last time around, as he pointed out, but, surprisingly, he’s also consistently polled well this cycle in South Carolina, the semblance seat of Southern graciousness. Republican voters in the South no less than in any other region want a Republican candidate who can capture the whole country and, right now, Romney looks to be that (he obviously does well in the East, for example, and he’s the leader in the Midwest, too). So, too, do they want a candidate who can capture independents. Of course, that could be either Romney or Perry. In Florida, for example, independent voters would favor either Romney or Perry over a president who performed poorly during the debt ceiling debate. Point is: It’s hard to see Romney beating out Perry in the South, but it could happen, especially if he keeps his head down and campaigns assiduously across the country. In this, as in anything, humility and hard work go a long way. <snip>

SOutherners won't vote for Romney because there is a deep seated hatred between the Southern Baptist Convention and the Latter Day Saints.

In 2008, Romney came in FOURTH PLACE in South Carolina, behind McCain, Huckabee, and Fred Thompson, who immediately dropped out of the race. In nearly every other southern state in 2008, when it came down to the three man race, Romney came in third nearly everywhere.

I know that many of my fellow republican's are not keen on Romney. I admit that at first I was not so much either- Then I started listening to him. The guy is just what we need in this economic climate. His ideas WILL work at jump-starting the economy. He understands what kind of policy and legislation is necessary to loosen the purse strings of business and investors.

Does it really matter if he's anti gay marriage? Is gay marriage really what's driving our economic downturn?

We have had 4 years of charm and charisma- Obama the perfect representation of an empty suit. Perry is a loose cannon; Paul is an ideological theorist, important voice- with unrealistic positions. Bachmann IMO is not proving real leadership when she backs down from questions about her evangelicalism and uses TEA Party affiliation as her own personal voting block.

I think Romney understands that the priority needs to be the economy. That he knows exactly how to implement the necessary repairs to start our economic engine.

So he's going to do with America what he did to AmPad? You know, fire everyone, take on a shitload of debt, and then pawn off worthless stock on the stockholders before they file bankruptcy while his cronies collect "management fees".

Romney remains the worst person the GOP could possibly nominate, which is why he'll probably get the nomination. The GOP establishment might play to the TEA party and religious right, but have as much contempt for them as the Democrats have. Pass the "Grey Poopon"

Unless, of course, the majority of GOP voters have the good sense to reject them and pick their own candidate, not theirs.

Now we know the candidate at least one flaming lberal is afraid of.

[

SOutherners won't vote for Romney.

Over obama? Of course they will. He'll pick a running mate to shore up his weak spots with the South and the religious right.

22% of the electorate won't vote for a Mormon, idiot.

Bad News For Mitt Romney: 22% Of Americans Won

You can't paper over his problem with the evangelicals. They hate the Mormons because they are "heretics".

A lot of them will stay home and others will vote for third parties. Probably just enough to give Obama the edge in Florida, Virginia, North Carolina and Missouri.

[

SOutherners won't vote for Romney.

Over obama? Of course they will. He'll pick a running mate to shore up his weak spots with the South and the religious right.

You can't paper over his problem with the evangelicals. They hate the Mormons because they are "heretics".

A lot of them will stay home and others will vote for third parties. Probably just enough to give Obama the edge in Florida, Virginia, North Carolina and Missouri.

When it comes down to him or obama? They sure as hell will vote for him. He'll also have a running mate that those 22% adore telling them it's important they do so. Sorry liberal bigot.

When it comes down to him or obama? They sure as hell will vote for him. He'll also have a running mate that those 22% adore telling them it's important they do so. Sorry liberal bigot.

When it comes down to him or Obama-

They could

1) Vote for a third party.
2) Stay Home
3) Vote for Obama out of spite

Sorry, man, he could have Jesus as a running mate, and the crazy Baptists will still vote against that ticket because it has a Mormon on it.

Why do you think McCain didn't take Romney as a running mate in 2008? Because he knew the Evangelicals, who already didn't much care for him, would have gone into open revolt. So he picked Palin because on paper, Palin looked pretty good in 2008.

You also seem to think that Obama will be a pushover. Obama is a horrible president, but he's a pretty good campaigner. He's going to have the advantage of being an incumbant, and he's going to have a billion dollars in his war chest.

So we should expect 2012 to be a tough fight. You don't go into a tough fight with a candidate that 18% of Republicans won't vote for.

What IS his economic turnaround plan?

[

They could

2) Stay Home
3) Vote for Obama out of spite.

Keep wishin' and hopin' liberal bigot. obama's gonna have 8+% unemployment, possibly a double-dip, his signature healthcare plan shot down by the courts, a corrupt DOJ under investigation(s), escalating losses in Afghanistan because instead of listening to his commanders on the ground he made a 'campaign' decision, dopey 20-somethings that won't be 'fired up' to actually vote this time (they usually don't), and a general revolt among the far left end of his own party. And if you make assumptions about the rest of the country based on your own vile bigotry, then you are as stupid as I think you are.

[

They could

2) Stay Home
3) Vote for Obama out of spite.

Keep wishin' and hopin' liberal bigot. obama's gonna have 8+% unemployment, possibly a double-dip, his signature healthcare plan shot down by the courts, a corrupt DOJ under investigation(s), escalating losses in Afghanistan because instead of listening to his commanders on the ground he made a 'campaign' decision, dopey 20-somethings that won't be 'fired up' to actually vote this time (they usually don't), and a general revolt among the far left end of his own party. And if you make assumptions about the rest of the country based on your own vile bigotry, then you are as stupid as I think you are.

Again, I think that you underestimate the hatred the Crazy Baptists have for the Crazier Latter Day Saints. One election is only four years. Giving the heretics a victory over the one True Sky Pixie is an eternity damning kind of thing. So, yeah, if you are a crazy Baptist who thinks that Mormons are heretics inspired by deception from Satan (and this is what the evangelicals really think about Mormons!) no way are you voting for this guy no matter how bad things get.

That's their dislike, not mine. I just think they have stupid beliefs and are slimey people. But it's a key part of the GOP coalition.

On the other hand, in the last four elections, the Democratic Candidate has never dipped below 48% of the electorate. That's his floor. To win, the Republican has to have all the pistons hitting in unison, and you won't do that if 18% of your base (Republicans) and 19% of your target group won't vote for your guy because his religion is whacky...

What IS his economic turnaround plan?

I think it involves looting the country so his investors can all get rich. that's what he did at Bain Capital. Screw those employees who all lost their jobs.

Not hating on Obama, I'm sure he's an okay guy. But his policies suck, I don't need to wait until the end of his admin to see that.

Other than the healthcare legislation, his policies are almost all Republican driven policies. Why do you think the left is so upset with him?

Just how is Romney the answer to this country's economic problems? During his tenure as Gov, his state was 47th in job creation. Joe has already mentioned the heinous things he did as a private businessman.

Just how is Romney the answer to this country's economic problems? During his tenure as Gov, his state was 47th in job creation. Joe has already mentioned the heinous things he did as a private businessman.

Because he's rich! Duh. If he's our president, we'll all be rich. Try to follow along.

Forum List

Back