Romney

Romney, in his own words:
Q: As governor you signed into law one of the toughest restrictions on assault weapons in the country.

A: Let’s get the record straight. First of all, there’s no question that I support 2nd Amendment rights, but I also support an assault weapon ban. Look, I’ve been governor in a pretty tough state. You’ve heard of blue states. In the toughest of blue states, I made the toughest decisions and did what was right for America. I have conservative values.

Source: 2007 Republican Debate in South Carolina May 15, 2007

Mitt Romney on Gun Control

Under Bush our economy began to show signs of collapse in August of 08. Under Bush several attempts were made to deal with Fannie and Freddy. Under Bush we had TARP, which BTW, has been paid back...under Obama and democrats who controlled both houses for 5 years, we had complete economic stagnation; inflation; and a downgrade of our credit rating.

Revisionist history is fun isn't it? Well, whatever you do, don't look at the economic number from early 2008! I would hate to ruin your dream world.

Under Bush our economy began to show signs of collapse in August of 08. Under Bush several attempts were made to deal with Fannie and Freddy. Under Bush we had TARP, which BTW, has been paid back...under Obama and democrats who controlled both houses for 5 years, we had complete economic stagnation; inflation; and a downgrade of our credit rating.

Revisionist history is fun isn't it? Well, whatever you do, don't look at the economic number from early 2008! I would hate to ruin your dream world.

LOL... yeah, I know, that dream where liberal's finally start to own their congress the last 2 years of Bush and the first 2 years of Obama...

LOL... yeah, I know, that dream where liberal's finally start to own their congress the last 2 years of Bush and the first 2 years of Obama...

/sigh

Early 2008 the economy was weakening. This is proven fact. Bush did nothing. Said nothing. Tried nothing. Had he, you know, acted like a president, it's possible the collapse at the end of 2008 would not have happened.

But hey, blame it all on Obama and the Dems. That's what you guys do best.

Romney, in his own words:
Q: As governor you signed into law one of the toughest restrictions on assault weapons in the country.

A: Let’s get the record straight. First of all, there’s no question that I support 2nd Amendment rights, but I also support an assault weapon ban. Look, I’ve been governor in a pretty tough state. You’ve heard of blue states. In the toughest of blue states, I made the toughest decisions and did what was right for America. I have conservative values.

Source: 2007 Republican Debate in South Carolina May 15, 2007

Mitt Romney on Gun Control

States do have the right to regulate firearms. Do you have any proof that Romney would attempt federal legislation- did he not say that he supports the 2nd amendment? Are you saying that states do not have the right to regulate firearms?

More importantly, does his action as governor of a state that wanted to legislate assault weapon restrictions, prevent his ability from helping our economy- anymore then his position on gay marriage does? I do not foresee Romney going after gun legislation as president- it just does not ring true as being an objective he would have.

I know that many of my fellow republican's are not keen on Romney. I admit that at first I was not so much either- Then I started listening to him. The guy is just what we need in this economic climate. His ideas WILL work at jump-starting the economy. He understands what kind of policy and legislation is necessary to loosen the purse strings of business and investors.

Does it really matter if he's anti gay marriage? Is gay marriage really what's driving our economic downturn?

We have had 4 years of charm and charisma- Obama the perfect representation of an empty suit. Perry is a loose cannon; Paul is an ideological theorist, important voice- with unrealistic positions. Bachmann IMO is not proving real leadership when she backs down from questions about her evangelicalism and uses TEA Party affiliation as her own personal voting block.

I think Romney understands that the priority needs to be the economy. That he knows exactly how to implement the necessary repairs to start our economic engine.

I guess I just can't get past the rather obvious sense, and this goes for pretty much all the commercial candidates, that he'll simply say anything he thinks people want to hear to get elected. I don't trust that anything he says now will be reflected in how he governs.

/sigh

Early 2008 the economy was weakening. This is proven fact. Bush did nothing. Said nothing. Tried nothing. Had he, you know, acted like a president, it's possible the collapse at the end of 2008 would not have happened.

But hey, blame it all on Obama and the Dems. That's what you guys do best.

/sigh Republican's, including Bush, attempted to force changes in the federal housing programs...DEMOCRATS blocked reform.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMnSp4qEXNM]Timeline shows Bush, McCain warning Dems of financial and housing crisis; meltdown - YouTube[/ame]

For the record I doubt Mitt will win, he is a flip flopping Idiot that has very little support, well other than the Media because they like to make the right look stupid by picking the biggest liberal running in the rupublican party. McCain and now Mitt...

I think Perry and Mitt will destroy each other and Ron Paul might just beat them both... That's what I think.

Last edited:
I know that many of my fellow republican's are not keen on Romney. I admit that at first I was not so much either- Then I started listening to him. The guy is just what we need in this economic climate. His ideas WILL work at jump-starting the economy. He understands what kind of policy and legislation is necessary to loosen the purse strings of business and investors.

Does it really matter if he's anti gay marriage? Is gay marriage really what's driving our economic downturn?

We have had 4 years of charm and charisma- Obama the perfect representation of an empty suit. Perry is a loose cannon; Paul is an ideological theorist, important voice- with unrealistic positions. Bachmann IMO is not proving real leadership when she backs down from questions about her evangelicalism and uses TEA Party affiliation as her own personal voting block.

I think Romney understands that the priority needs to be the economy. That he knows exactly how to implement the necessary repairs to start our economic engine.

I guess I just can't get past the rather obvious sense, and this goes for pretty much all the commercial candidates, that he'll simply say anything he thinks people want to hear to get elected. I don't trust that anything he says now will be reflected in how he governs.

I understand that- I do think that as a business man he will work to create policy that is pro business and THAT is what we really need right now. All other issues can wait for another day- but what we need is that other day. All the peripheral issues that can matter in a normal election cycle are simply unimportant given the economic quagmire we are in. So who is best suited to tackle that problem? When I forgot all the peripheral issues and just looked through that lens-Romney stood out.

/sigh Republican's, including Bush, attempted to force changes in the federal housing programs...DEMOCRATS blocked reform.

Holy crap! You're one of those who still think the collapse was due to sub-prime mortgages??

Wow. Are you a birfer too?

WOW- you're one of those who attack without facts or an argument to debate... Are you an Obamabot too?

Holy crap! You're one of those who still think the collapse was due to sub-prime mortgages??

Wow. Are you a birfer too?

And you believe the minority in the house of Republicans, the Tea Party, held the country hostage and got the country downgraded...

You're on the level with TM on these boards, the only people that like you are other Trolls looking to piss people off by repeating really dumb shit over and over and over and over...

How did that recovery of "hireling 1 million people to do *stuff*" work out for you? Let me guess, you have never run a business in your life so you have literally not a single idea of what it takes, you just work for a paycheck and believe you are owed more.

And you believe the minority in the house of Republicans, the Tea Party, held the country hostage and got the country downgraded...

Interesting slip there. House of Republicans. Maybe it wasn't a slip though.

And yes, I absolutely believe that because it happened. Those of us who followed the news and the negotiations know this.

The main issue for Mitt is he has no real base of support... Someone like Rick comes along and just over half of his vote leave him in a blink of an eye... The sad part is Rick is looking to be in much the same boat... While Rick plays hard to a religious base he scares the crap out of the other 3/4ths of the Republican party that over time has lost interest in if a politician tells them they want to fuck God and only God every night...

People are starting to look at records and policy and this is where both Mitt and it looks like Rick as well come up short, way short.

And yes, I absolutely believe that because it happened. Those of us who followed the news and the negotiations know this.

It was a slip... I guess, I dono I'm not a Republican adn don't give a shit. Draw from it waht you want lol.

And SEE! That is how fringe ass crazy you are! Rand Paul gave a budget that balanced the budget in 5 fucking years with a 19 billion dollar surplus... What part of THAT made it into the budget the President put his name on???? Or are you going to flip flop and drop the Bonehard's "I got 98% of what I wanted" bullshit when he ain't no fuckin Tea party and Obama got 100% of what he wanted being he put his fuckin name on it.

Owned again~ =D

I'd have people like you and TM on ignore but it's fun watching you get the shit kicked out of you and while knowing so many others that only read these boards see it just like that, you making the fringe left look stupid.

Sell wind farms, LOLz! I could accidently come up with a better idea for "spending" in 30 seconds... Of course it would still be bullshit, unfair but at least it would be instant, more direct and have some sort of affect.

Last edited:
WOW- you're one of those who attack without facts or an argument to debate... Are you an Obamabot too?

The sub-prime mortgages were a bad idea, but as long as the person had a job they were sustainable. The economy was weakening in the middle of 2007 and by mid 2008 we were seriously shedding jobs. When people lost their jobs, they couldn't pay the mortgage and defaults happened.

Now, this is fine in a normal situation. But the banks had bundled the mortgages and sold them and bundled them and sold them, etc. until you couldn't extract the bad ones. So when the defaults happened, all the assets had to be devalued because no one could identify just the sub-primes.

Why was this allowed to happen? Well, the GOP Congress in 1999 repealed the Glass-Steagal Act so banks were free to do all this stupid shit. The total number of sub-prime mortgages went from 5% in 2000 to 30% in 2008, and they were all bundled and sold and were in a mess.

So there you go. It wasn't the sub-primes defaulting, it was the fact the banks could no longer separate those mortgages out for devaluing that brought the whole house of cards down.

And now that I've explained that, care to take another stab at how this is all Obama's fault?

It was a slip... I guess, I dono I'm not a Republican adn don't give a shit. Draw from it waht you want lol.

And SEE! That is how fringe ass crazy you are! Rand Paul gave a budget that balanced the budget in 5 fucking years with a 19 billion dollar surplus... What part of THAT made it into the budget the President put his name on???? Or are you going to flip flop and drop the Bonehard's "I got 98% of what I wanted" bullshit when he ain't no fuckin Tea party and Obama got 100% of what he wanted being he put his fuckin name on it.

Owned again~ =D

I literally have no idea what you just tried to say there. But, as for the budget, I could balance the budget next year by eliminating all Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security. Big deal! Does that make that a good budget that we should honestly talk about? No. I could also balance the budget by doubling everyone's taxes. Do you want that? Hey, it's an idea right? So we are required to talk about it right?

The TPers in Congress are the reason we got downgraded.

Forum List

Back