Romney vetoed minimum wage increase

Aug 7, 2012

Romney claims he worked across the aisle with the overwhelmingly Democratic Massachusetts legislature: Really? Well, a complete list of veto overrides covering all four of Romney’s budgets found that the overrides for fiscal years 2004, 2005, 2006 and 2007 totaled 707 of the more than 800 line-item vetoes he issued. And in some cases, even the Republicans went against Romney. His minimum wage veto in 2006 was overridden unanimously… the House voted against him 152 to 0, and minutes later the Senate voted 38 to 0. Now tell us more about how much he cares about 100% of all Americans and how well he works across the aisle!

(1) Education: Romney said, “We were able to drive our schools to be number one in the nation in my state.” This is the second time he has outrageously taken credit for the level of education in Massachusetts. It was the Massachusetts Education Reform Act of 1993 that pumped billions into education in that state. When he was governor, in 2007 he cut $277 million from the state’s local education aid budget and $130 million from higher education!

(2) Massachusetts budget: In 2003 he doubled fees for court filings, professional registrations and firearm licenses. He quintupled the per gallon delivery fee for gasoline. All told, the fees raised more than $400 million in their first year. He also “closed loopholes” in the corporate tax structure, a move that generated another $150 million in increased revenue. He cut aid to local cities and counties. In 2004, he cut nearly 5 percent, or about $230 million, from the local aid budget. The Massachusetts Municipal Association, representing the state’s cities and towns, said Romney’s cut “forced communities statewide to cut services and raise local taxes and fees.” His oft-touted cuts in “wasteful programs” and duplicate agencies made only a small dent in the deficit, according to an estimate by the independent, nonpartisan Massachusetts Taxpayers Foundation. Sure, Romney closed the deficit without raising taxes; he increased government fees by hundreds of millions of dollars; a shell game!

Yes, the poor are just dirt in the tires of your liberal ideals. There is no more singularly evil initiative of the left then denying jobs to those who need them the most. Yet you not only do that, but boast.

Although I admire almost nothing about Europe, they do have a point in making their minimum wage laws. They have no minimum wage laws across the board. It is set by the kind of job being performed. For some tasks, the minimum wage is quite low, equal to about $3.00 per hour in American dollars. It is far more clear, and far, far more fair than setting minimum wages at $10.00 an hour to sweep a floor.

i agree small businesses cant keep up with minimum wage plus rewarding good workers and sometimes stuck with poor workers than telling the good workers, they ahve to pay the poor worker the same wage. its not easy out there if your on a budget, whether home or business.

i agree small businesses cant keep up with minimum wage plus rewarding good workers and sometimes stuck with poor workers than telling the good workers, they ahve to pay the poor worker the same wage. its not easy out there if your on a budget, whether home or business.

The ones who aren't worth minimum wage get fired. But only because the left care about them so much they don't want them to work if they are not worth $7.25 an hour.

The minimum wage is a hurdle, not a tide. And anyone who says otherwise is clueless.

The ones who aren't worth minimum wage get fired. But only because the left care about them so much they don't want them to work if they are not worth $7.25 an hour.

The minimum wage is a hurdle, not a tide. And anyone who says otherwise is clueless.

its so hard to fire people, at my current job i have to write reports, so that when the time comes they have evidence to prove why they have to fire said person. so bascially i have to watch everyone and every little infraction is a report used for the evil act. yes i say evil because it can be used against any worker, while i agree poor workers who choose to not do a average to good job should be fired, i know at times good workers are fired because higher ups are threatened.

I have always been a little perplexed by the "minimum wage is bad" thing.

Can someone explain how paying employees less is supposed to be a good thing when the cost of living is constantly increasing? Regardless of the administration that is in charge the cost of living will increase. What is the point of getting paid for a job if you can not support your family off of it.

Is there supposed to be some hidden tax component that comes with it that is supposed to actually make this a good thing for the worker? Or is it specifically for the business's benefit only?

Personally I would think that there would have to be an immense amount of accompanied legislation and reform to even make it viable. Immigration reform (NO Illegals at all), complete tax reform and much much more, just to begin. Virtually, IMHO, making it impossible for the idea of dissolving minimum wage to exist, you are never gonna get support on both sides for all reforms to make it viable.

Can someone explain how paying employees less is supposed to be a good thing when the cost of living is constantly increasing? Regardless of the administration that is in charge the cost of living will increase. What is the point of getting paid for a job if you can not support your family off of it.

Is there supposed to be some hidden tax component that comes with it that is supposed to actually make this a good thing for the worker? Or is it specifically for the business's benefit only?

Personally I would think that there would have to be an immense amount of accompanied legislation and reform to even make it viable. Immigration reform (NO Illegals at all), complete tax reform and much much more, just to begin. Virtually, IMHO, making it impossible for the idea of dissolving minimum wage to exist, you are never gonna get support on both sides for all reforms to make it viable.

if you dont run a business, cant explain it to you.

Romney claims he worked across the aisle with the overwhelmingly Democratic Massachusetts legislature: Really? Well, a complete list of veto overrides covering all four of Romney’s budgets found that the overrides for fiscal years 2004, 2005, 2006 and 2007 totaled 707 of the more than 800 line-item vetoes he issued. And in some cases, even the Republicans went against Romney. His minimum wage veto in 2006 was overridden unanimously… the House voted against him 152 to 0, and minutes later the Senate voted 38 to 0. Now tell us more about how much he cares about 100% of all Americans and how well he works across the aisle!

(1) Education: Romney said, “We were able to drive our schools to be number one in the nation in my state.” This is the second time he has outrageously taken credit for the level of education in Massachusetts. It was the Massachusetts Education Reform Act of 1993 that pumped billions into education in that state. When he was governor, in 2007 he cut $277 million from the state’s local education aid budget and $130 million from higher education!

(2) Massachusetts budget: In 2003 he doubled fees for court filings, professional registrations and firearm licenses. He quintupled the per gallon delivery fee for gasoline. All told, the fees raised more than $400 million in their first year. He also “closed loopholes” in the corporate tax structure, a move that generated another $150 million in increased revenue. He cut aid to local cities and counties. In 2004, he cut nearly 5 percent, or about $230 million, from the local aid budget. The Massachusetts Municipal Association, representing the state’s cities and towns, said Romney’s cut “forced communities statewide to cut services and raise local taxes and fees.” His oft-touted cuts in “wasteful programs” and duplicate agencies made only a small dent in the deficit, according to an estimate by the independent, nonpartisan Massachusetts Taxpayers Foundation. Sure, Romney closed the deficit without raising taxes; he increased government fees by hundreds of millions of dollars; a shell game!

Good for him, I would have vetoed it too. All a minimum wage increase does is increase the cost of products in the stores, it does not help the people it is supposed to help, it leaves them right where they where before financially and increases the price of everything. Sure, it makes for good politics, but it does nothing else.

if you dont run a business, cant explain it to you.

Didn't I tell you to start PMing me BEFORE you make assumptions? It's not very becoming of you.. :eusa_shhh:

I do run a business, we have no problem paying our employees above minimum wage and offering healthcare.

I could understand (but fundamentally disagree) with the argument against raising it.. But, I cannot fathom that abolishing it is fair to the middle class, poor and even workers with higher educations.

So please, do explain the rationale...

Forum List

Back