Romney running as the most anti-American president ever

Ravi

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2008
Hating Hatters
Of course, I could be wrong, but I don't ever remember a candidate running on limiting the rights of Americans.
"Governor Romney supports a federal marriage amendment to the Constitution that defines marriage as an institution between a man and a woman," Buchanan told BuzzFeed. "Governor Romney also believes, consistent with the 10th Amendment, that it should be left to states to decide whether to grant same-sex couples certain benefits, such as hospital visitation rights and the ability to adopt children. I referred to the Tenth Amendment only when speaking about these kinds of benefits – not marriage."
Adviser Reaffirms Romney Support For Anti-Gay Marriage Amendment | TPM LiveWire

Yeah, Americans have been brainwashed for so long that they think a return to the original intents and purposes of the Constitution is anti-American. I keep saying, we force people to take classes, pass an exam and get a license to paint someone's toe nails or cut their hair, but we let alomst any moron that shows up cast a vote for the leader of the free world and then we wonder why we have leaders that have led this nation to the very brink or destruction.

Whose right to marriage is being threatened?????

Marriage isn't a right.

Marriage isn't a right.

really? on what planet?

read....

learn...

Loving v. Virginia | The Oyez Project at IIT Chicago-Kent College of Law

That decision was a decision that supported marriage between a man and a woman. It didn't make it a right what it decided was if it was discrimination to enforce laws on skin color alone. I sure would be mad if I were a black person with the left always equating being black to being gay.

If marriage were a right then it would be legal for first cousins to marry.

Marriage isn't a right.

really? on what planet?

read....

learn...

Loving v. Virginia | The Oyez Project at IIT Chicago-Kent College of Law

That decision was a decision that supported marriage between a man and a woman. It didn't make it a right what it decided was if it was discrimination to enforce laws on skin color alone. I sure would be mad if I were a black person with the left always equating being black to being gay.

If marriage were a right then it would have been legal for first cousins to marry.

learn how to read a damn case...it doesn't work that way

again... read...learn...

Marriage is one of the "basic civil rights of man," fundamental to our very existence and survival. Skinner v. Oklahoma, 316 U.S. 535, 541 (1942). See also Maynard v. Hill, 125 U.S. 190 (1888). To deny this fundamental freedom on so unsupportable a basis as the racial classifications embodied in these statutes, classifications so directly subversive of the principle of equality at the heart of the Fourteenth Amendment, is surely to deprive all the State's citizens of liberty without due process of law. The Fourteenth Amendment requires that the freedom of choice to marry not be restricted by invidious racial discriminations. Under our Constitution, the freedom to marry, or not marry, a person of another race resides with the individual, and cannot be infringed by the State.

Loving v. Virginia

it being a right doesn't mean it can't ever be abridged...it means the state must have an overriding interest in abridging the right.

in terms of first cousins, there are health and genetic issues. in terms of minors there are consent issues. (if that was going to be your next comment).

there is no interest in discriminating against bi-racial couples or homosexual couples.

now you know. :thup:

Marriage isn't a right.

According to the SCOTUS it is.

Loving v Virginia - Marriage is one of the "basic civil rights of man," fundamental to our very existence and survival. To deny this fundamental freedom on so unsupportable a basis as the racial classifications embodied in these statutes, classifications so directly subversive of the principle of equality at the heart of the Fourteenth Amendment, is surely to deprive all the State's citizens of liberty without due process of law. The Fourteenth Amendment requires that the freedom of choice to marry not be restricted by invidious racial discriminations. Under our Constitution, the freedom to marry, or not marry, a person of another race resides with the individual and cannot be infringed by the State.

Zablocki v Wisconsin - Since our past decisions make clear that the right to marry is of fundamental importance, and since the classification at issue here significantly interferes with the exercise of that right, we believe that "critical examination" of the state interests advanced in support of the classification is required.

Turner v Safley - The right to marry is mentioned over a dozen times

Yes, it is a right.

Last edited:
Of course, I could be wrong, but I don't ever remember a candidate running on limiting the rights of Americans.
"Governor Romney supports a federal marriage amendment to the Constitution that defines marriage as an institution between a man and a woman," Buchanan told BuzzFeed. "Governor Romney also believes, consistent with the 10th Amendment, that it should be left to states to decide whether to grant same-sex couples certain benefits, such as hospital visitation rights and the ability to adopt children. I referred to the Tenth Amendment only when speaking about these kinds of benefits – not marriage."

Bush ran on the same thing. Thread title is a little harsh. It makes them bigoted assholes, but not anti-American. Sadly, bigotry is very American...

Bush ran on the same thing.

And won twice. Not an issue.

Forum List

Back