Rolling Stone Resurrects Karl Marx (And No - It Was Not Satire)

Geaux4it

Intensity Factor 4-Fold
May 31, 2009
Tennessee
The lib machine drones on

-Geaux

Submitted by Pater Tenebrarum of Acting-Man blog,

The Problem of Economic Ignorance

The fact that economic ignorance is widespread is really a big problem in our view. Unfortunately even what is broadly considered the economic mainstream thought is riddled with stuff that we think just doesn't represent good economics. This is not meant to say that there is absolutely nothing worthwhile offered by the so-called mainstream. Often one comes across valuable insights and stimulating ideas. Still, there are a number of very fundamental issues on which various schools of economic thought don't agree – beginning with basic questions of methodology.

Regarding the place economics should have in our lives, Ludwig von Mises once wrote:

“Economics must not be relegated to classrooms and statistical offices and must not be left to esoteric circles. It is the philosophy of human life and action and concerns everybody and everything. It is the pith of civilization and of man's human existence.”

We agree wholeheartedly with this sentiment. There is little harm in leaving astronomy to astronomers and quantum physics to experts in theoretical physics. With economics it is different, because even though it is supposed to be wertfrei (value-free) as a science, economics necessarily has a political dimension, since politics is all about the acquisition and distribution of property by political (as opposed to economic) means. In other words, economic policy is the main topic around which politics revolves.

Read the rest here: Rolling Stone Resurrects Karl Marx (And No - It Was Not Satire) | Zero Hedge

Who cares what's written in Rolling Stone? They have a readership of less than 1.5 million most of which are old burnouts who still think that RS is cutting edge and relevant.

"Most rock journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read." - Frank Zappa

Actually, it's a badly written article, because what he suggests wouldn't work.

That said, I think it shows the frustration of a younger generation that sees it has no prospects.

There are times I am glad I am old.

Actually, it's a badly written article, because what he suggests wouldn't work. ...

Who's to say it wouldn't work?

Marx said communism would rise out of failure of capitalism. That hasn't happened yet. While capitalism is failing, it has not yet failed

Actually, it's a badly written article, because what he suggests wouldn't work. ...

Who's to say it wouldn't work?

Marx said communism would rise out of failure of capitalism. That hasn't happened yet. While capitalism is failing, it has not yet failed

While I consider myself very progressive at this stage in my life, this is why Communism will never work.

If you remove any reward for effort, if you garuntee result, then no one will make an effort. This is part of the reason the USSR failed. (There were others.)

There is nothing wrong with the notion if you work hard, you should reap more rewards than those who aren't trying as hard.

The insanity is that the rewards are often awarded disproportionately.

All societies are ultimately a balance between liberty and equality. You can't have true liberty without anarchy (see Somalia) and you can't have true equality without tyranny (see North Korea.)

The Europeans and Japanese have kind of hit this balance. We really haven't.

That was as simplistic as Marx was long-winded. Hardly could call that representative of modern liberals.

Btw, speaking of discredited idealogues:

"It cannot be denied that Fascism and similar movements aiming at the establishment of dictatorships are full of the best intentions and that their intervention has, for the moment, saved European civilization. The merit that Fascism has thereby won for itself will live on eternally in history."
-- Ludwig von Mises; from 'Liberalism'

New Topics

Forum List

Back