Rocky

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras
Saw this last night, first time for many years. I queued up to watch this in the cinema as a lad and I remember all the lads shadow boxing back to the chippy where a fight broke out. Classic movie and in my opinion very sspecial.

Basically its a run-of-the-mill rags-to-riches story that glorifies the underdog and America as the land of opportunity. What drags it into the halls of greatness is the performance of the Great Welsh Actor Burgess Meredith. Every scene he is in is a masterclass in acting as he dominates young Stallone. Its riveting stuff.

Catch it before the snowflakes cancel it.

What I always wondered about Rocky is if Carl Weathers and Stallone fought for real, who would win.

Saw this last night, first time for many years. I queued up to watch this in the cinema as a lad and I remember all the lads shadow boxing back to the chippy where a fight broke out. Classic movie and in my opinion very sspecial.

Basically its a run-of-the-mill rags-to-riches story that glorifies the underdog and America as the land of opportunity. What drags it into the halls of greatness is the performance of the Great Welsh Actor Burgess Meredith. Every scene he is in is a masterclass in acting as he dominates young Stallone. Its riveting stuff.

What's all this? A post from Mr. T that does not shower hatred on Americans? Lordy be, thank you! ;)

What drags it into the halls of greatness is the performance of the Great Welsh Actor Burgess Meredith. Every scene he is in is a masterclass in acting as he dominates young Stallone.

Yeah, I know what you mean. It's a wonder they didn't name the movies: Pengie, Pengie II, etc. :lmao:

Screen Shot 2021-04-11 at 11.39.17 AM.png

Pure Welsh greatness.

IMHO, Rocky ties with Raging Bull for the greatest boxing movie. The storyline is trite, underdog fighting against insurmountable odd, is victorious. Stallone was perfect for the part. Burgess Meredith as Rocky's manager earned him a Oscar nomination. Thankfully, Burt Reynolds was too busy to do the movie as he was the first choice for the roll of Rocky. The theme music playing with Rocky training and running up the steps of the Philadelphia Museum of Art has become a metaphor for an underdog rising to accomplish his dream.

Last edited:
I'm sorry but, Sylvester Stallone cannot act.
He was nominated for two academy awards so I wouldn't say he can't act. He is certainly not a great actor because he is not a very versatile actor; that is, he plays himself. That makes him a screen personality but only a so so actor. The same is true of lot of actors for example John Wayne. He plays John Wayne in almost every movie.

Rocky was a classic movie indeed. The music score when Rocky finally ran up those steps was inspiring. True to form the H'wood moguls milked the movie for all it was worth and the sequels became inane to the point that they were almost comedic.

Rocky three was the best. I liked the music in Rocky 1 and it was a good story. Burgess Meredith was a top class actor. He was George in the movie of Steinbach's of Mice and Men. And a lot of of good roles on T.V. such as The Twilight Zone and with John Wayne in In Harms way.

Last edited:

They shouldn't let you people watch our movies.

New Topics

Forum List

Back