Rock God

Yw, but don't follow me. Makes me nervous and you'll soon hate my guts. :eek:
{I'm hard left, independent, and an atheist.}
{That said, my wife and I loved reading all of the Harry Potter series to our kids}

Last edited:
Yw, but don't follow me. Makes me nervous and you'll soon hate my guts. :eek:
{I'm hard left, independent, and an atheist.}
{That said, my wife and I loved reading all of the Harry Potter series to our kids}

Following somebody to me just means that I accept them as a friend. I don't care about your politics or (lack of) religious beliefs, as long as you're a nice person that's all that matters to me. :)

Alright and sorry I'm just seeing this now. Here's the next chapter. :) (Also I suppose for future writing since I don't know that much vocabulary I can always lookup synonyms. :) )

Chapter Six: Hide And Seek

Once we got into the car, I heaved a sad sigh. “This was my father’s old Subaru.” I said while I started looking around. “Mom’s not sure at the moment whether to sell it or keep it.” I explained.

“Well, if you sell it what good is that going to do? There’s memories of your dad attached to it.” He pointed out.

“That’s the point DJ memories hurt.” I told him.

“Yeah,.. I suppose they can,.. but they can also help keep your father’s spirit alive. After all, he never really left you in the first place. It’s like a game of hide and seek. After a person dies their spirit hides away from you sometimes. Sometimes to the point where it feels like they’re gone forever. The truth is though they’re only waiting for you to go and seek them. Hide and seek just happens to be one of my favorite games.” He said with a grin.

“Yeah, but you can’t die though.” I pointed out to him.

“No, that’s true. However, one it’s just a fun game all around and two,.. if I always was wide in the open for everybody and making myself known then people wouldn’t take the time to even try to seek me and I think that it’s better that way. That’s why I gave everyone free will and a brain to decide for themselves what they want to do in their lives. If they screw it up, they have nobody to blame but themselves even though they often try and blame me for it anyways. I don’t want to force people to love me though and have a relationship with me. It would be as pointless as me giving them a love potion.” He explained.

“You know, you’re not at all like I thought you’d be. You’re nothing like a lot of people project you to be as mean, scary, and angry.” I told him before he heaved a long-drawn out sad sigh.

“That’s because the people who tell you all of that science fiction type stuff don’t really know me. Not really.” He told him with a shake of his head. “I only act like that when I really have to and no parent likes being “mean” and having to discipline their child or children.” He said as he used his fingers as quotation marks. “And I hate that! I would much rather be hanging out with people like you and rocking out and so that’s why the other version of me Jesus came into the world so I could be a whole lot looser and chiller.” He explained before pounding his fist upon the dashboard and popping it open and then putting a pair of dark sunglasses on his face.

“Yep, if I’ve got a whole entire eternal life to live, this is the way that I would rather be living it.” He told me making me laugh.

“You’re such a goofball.” I told him.

“Well, don’t forget you were made from my image so that makes you one too.” He replied with a grin. “Anyways, ready to go?” He questioned me while buckling himself up.

“Yeah, but we forgot one very important thing.” I began. “The key.” I finished and that’s when he simply just grinned again and chuckled.

“Watch this.” He began before placing both hands upon opposite sides of the steering wheel. “Start!” He exclaimed and within an instant the engine turned on.

“Whoa,.. can you teach me how to do that?” I questioned him out of a breath of complete and utter astonishment.

“Could, but it would sort of be useless for you since you don’t have powers like me.” He told me.

“Well, pin a rose on your nose.” I teased sarcastically with a roll of my eyes.

“Come on, buckle up so we can go get some chow.” He told me and after I put on my seatbelt he started backing up and pulling out of the driveway.

“Alright let’s get some tunes!” He exclaimed excitedly and that’s when All Star by Smash Mouth came onto the radio and we both started singing along rather loudly to it at exactly the same time even placing a finger shaped L on our foreheads at the appropriate time. DJ was even a really good whistler, and he bopped his head to the music turning it slightly from side to side and I laughed again.

“You look like Stevie Wonder.” I told him.

“Well I take that as a pretty big compliment and what do you know? Stevie’s coming on now.” DJ said as sure enough the next song was Higher Ground. Once we got to the restaurant DJ parked the car and we went into Pizza Palace.

“Wow, I can see why they call this place a palace.” DJ began. “It’s a lot bigger on the inside.” He finished as he slowly began to turn while he looked around.

“Now you sound like Doctor Who.” I told him.

“Oh yeah I know that show.” He began. “But I was never really into science fiction type stuff. Cartoons are more up my ally like Scooby-Doo and my ultimate favorite SpongeBob SquarePants.” He finished before he started singing the theme on the top of his lungs and I quickly covered his mouth with my hand.

“Would you keep it down!? Geesh, you act like you’re seven years old or something.” I told him before he swiped my hand away.

“Mickey, would you take a chill pill? I already told you that I hate being so authoritative, strict, and serious all of the time. Right now I’m just here to have some fun.” He told me while he started jiggling around.

“Yeah, I can see that you’re really dancing for joy.” I told him.

“That’s because it’s been thousands of years since I’ve had a body and a urinary system!” He snapped while holding his privates and I quickly grabbed his hand and tried to ignore all of the other people that were stopping and staring at us.

“Come on then, let’s just go to the men’s room before we start making a spectacle of ourselves!” I snapped in a whisper before I dragged him down the hallway.

I've been busy off my ass today but I think that I have time to post another chapter now. :)

Chapter Seven: He Lives In You

Once DJ and I returned from the restroom I nearly had had a heart attack when I saw that Allie and Caleb were here. “Oh sh__” I began, but instead of saying the word to my horror a monkey call came out of my mouth instead and I quickly covered it with both of my hands. My heart sunk as I realized that people in the restaurant were staring at me again. As I turned my head to glare at DJ I saw that he was busy wagging his finger at me.

“I gave you a mouth so you could bless others with it not curse them.” He told me as I simply just rolled my eyes at him.

“Yeah well right now I hate to think what other people might do to us.” I told him.

“Don’t be ridiculous! I’m God and immortal and invincible,.. and if anybody messes with you, they’ll discover that I have a black belt in karate. Of course, it’s only if I really need it and it’s for defense only.” He explained as to my complete shock and horror, Allie had now turned around and was headed our way.

“Here she comes, just act natural.” I whispered as she smiled at me.

“Hey Mick, who’s your new friend?” She asked me.

“Umm DJ. He’s staying with us for awhile because he’s going to be taking my father’s place in Shock Therapy as lead singer and electric guitarist.” I replied while she stuck out her hand towards him.

“I see, well nice to meet you DJ. I’m Alyssa but everybody just usually winds up calling me Allie.” She told him while she shook his hand.

“I know.” He replied as she just raised a questioning eyebrow at him.

“He means that he knows because I’ve told him about you.” I added quickly.

“No actually, I beg to__” DJ began before I quickly placed my hand over his mouth and Allie giggled.

“He’s quite the character isn’t he?” She questioned.

“Yeah, he is but he’s also amazing.” I replied as we exchanged smiles and I finally removed my hand off of his mouth. “Can you just please excuse us for a second? We’ve got to talk about a new song we’re writing.” I told her and quickly dragged DJ away before he could say anything else.

“Okay Mick, now that was an actual lie!” DJ snapped inside a whisper. “We don’t have a new song yet!”

“Look DJ, sometimes we have to lie. That’s the girl of my dreams over there.” I told him.

“So what’s your point? Do you want Allie to like you for who you are or who you pretend to be? After all, how do you know somebody truly likes you unless you’re honest with them?” He questioned me and I just simply heaved a sigh not knowing how to respond. “Look, I know you don’t want Allie to think you’re crazy, but if she really likes you and I know she does then she’ll understand the situation and believe you.” He told me and I didn’t argue the point anymore because I knew that he was right. I just simply took a deep breath and we both walked back over to her.

“So, what’s the name of your new song?” She asked me.

“Umm,.. well,.. actually,..” I began.

“See what lying does to you? It helps get you into trouble more than it helps you get out of it.” DJ whispered into my ear.

“The truth is that I lied to you Allie. We don’t have a new song yet and there’s something I have to tell you, but you might want to sit down for this.” I warned her as all three of us sat down at a nearby table.

“Alright.” She began. “So what is it?”

“He’s God.” I replied quietly.

“Who is?” She questioned me back as I pointed over at DJ.

“He is.” I told her.

“Okay, so why is God going to be singing in your rock band?” She wondered but DJ just slyly grinned at her.

“That’s for me to know and you to find out.” He told her. “Don’t worry, you will eventually though.” He reassured her.

“He’s really good though I’ve seen and heard him perform.” I told her. “We just have to get the other guys together and write a really good song for the school fundraiser coming up.” I said when suddenly our waitress came over and we ordered some pepperoni and sausage pizza and I had absolutely no idea that DJ would love it as much as he did. For the first bite he took we could literally hear a hallelujah chorus fill the room.

Allie and I began to laugh, and DJ apologized for it a couple of times before clapping his hands together rather loudly a couple of times to stop it and then all three of us continued eating our lunch. That night after I started getting ready for bed, DJ came to visit me inside my bedroom while I sat upon my bed and looking out the window at the starry sky.

“Hey Champ, are you all ready for bed?” He asked me as he sat down upon the foot of it and I silently just nodded at him. “Want to talk?” He inquired.

Chapter Eight: Friends Or Foes?

When I woke up the next morning, I found to my surprise and amazement that I was lying beside DJ all curled up beside him and cuddled inside his chest. DJ slowly began to wake up and smiled rather warmly and lovingly at me.

“Good morning Champ, how did you sleep?” He questioned.

“Pretty good I guess.” I began with a shrug. “How about you?” I questioned him back.

“Honestly really good for somebody who hasn’t slept in over two thousand years.” He replied with a grin and watched as my eyes darted to the picture on my bedroom wall of my dad and I inside our garage with all of our band equipment. “Are you alright?” He asked me.

“Yeah I’m fine.” I lied.

“First of all it’s alright to show your emotions you know because it’s not a sin and Jesus wept is the shortest verse in the Bible.” He began. “Second of all it’s pointless lying to me since I already know you are.” He finished before I quickly rolled over and faced the wall.

“Just leave me alone alright!? I don’t want to talk about this.” I told him before he simply just heaved a sad sigh.

“Alright, but if you change your mind, you know where to find me.” He told me before he got up out of bed and headed towards the bathroom while I let out a sniff as a tear rolled down my cheek.

However, I didn’t wind up staying upset for long because I was too busy laughing at DJ’s rendition of Splish-Splash. Little did I know that inside the bathroom it was even funnier because before he stepped into the tub to take a shower he was dancing around the bathroom with a towel on and pretending the bath brush was a microphone and singing into it. (I only found out that part later that afternoon.)

One afternoon after the school bell rang for dismissal DJ showed up at my locker. “What are you doing here?” I questioned him.

“Your mother and I figured that we would take you out for ice cream before we continued working on our new song.” He replied.

“Really? That’s awesome! Thanks!” I exclaimed excitedly before I heard the familiar voice of Eugene Douglas.

“Hey Dawson, only talking to God now are you?” He questioned me with an evil sneer upon his face as I quickly spun around to face him.

“Who told you!?” I yelled angrily at him.

“That’s for me to know and you to find out. Anyways, I always knew that you were a freak, so this only justifies it, but I didn’t know that you were also a crybaby.” He told me and that’s when DJ tightened up his fists and clenched his teeth.

“Hey!! You leave my boy alone!!” He demanded.

“Oh yeah? And who’s going to stop me? The Almighty God? More like an almighty loser if you ask me.” He told him.

“I don’t care what you call me, but you leave Mick alone. He’s my friend.” DJ began. “And there is no greater love than those who lay their lives down for a friend.”

“Well, to be perfectly honest with you I’m surprised that anybody wants to hangout with him at all. Ms. Wright had to send him to the office because he wouldn’t stop crying. He’s such a baby and all he does now is cry!” Eugene snapped before all of a sudden DJ snapped and slowly reached his hand out and grabbed him by the throat while he narrowed his eyebrows and glared angrily at him.

“Now it’s your turn.” He began. “For if you’re for me I’m your best friend, but if you’re against me,.. I’m your worst nightmare.” He hissed while slowly hoisting him into the air.

“Alright I’ll stop! I promise that I’ll leave him alone!” He cried while his voice broke and silent tears rolled down his cheeks.

“Good. See that you do. I’ll be watching.” He told him before throwing him into the lockers and we managed to escape before he started telling his story to the principal.

“You didn’t have to do that.” I told him as we made our way out into the parking lot. “You could wind up in big trouble for that you know.” I pointed out but he simply just shrugged at me.

“Eh, what’s the worst they can do to me? I’ve already been nailed to a cross, I doubt anything that they have in store for me could be much worse than that.” He told me.

“Okay then let me rephrase that,.. I could wind up in big trouble.” I told him.

“Don’t worry about it. If you do I’ll take all the blame since I’m the one that threw that kid not you.” He said with a grin. “Now, let’s go get some ice cream.” He told me.

“Sounds like a plan to me.” I replied before we both got into the car and drove to the ice cream shop. We worked on our song lyrics on the way there since we already knew that our song was all about having the strength to carry on even when things get tough and being there for each other. I made a promise to DJ that there wouldn’t be any cussing in it. All that we needed to do now was practice.

Sorry, an awful lot of BS has been going on this past week.

Chapter Nine: The First Performance

After we got back from the ice cream shop, I sat on top of the foot of my bed strumming away at my guitar while I looked down at the lyric sheet right in front of me. “So come on baby and spread your wings, for you can’t even fly if you don’t even try.” I sang but suddenly took the guitar off of my lap and sat it down beside me on the bed. “This song is crap.” I said to myself when suddenly DJ entered the room and sat beside me with a chuckle.

“Well that’s irony there for you. The song we’ve written is about not giving up and that’s exactly what you’re doing.” He pointed out to me.

“Sorry, it’s just that I’ve never written a song before and what if I really stink at it?” I questioned him.

“You won’t know until you try.” He told me. “Do you want to hear the first song I’ve ever written?” He questioned me as I raised an eyebrow at him.

“You mean, you’ve written a song before now?” I inquired. “How long have you been performing?” I questioned him but he just simply shrugged.

“An eternity or two.” He began with a scratch of his head. “It’s rather difficult to keep track in Heaven because time doesn’t exist. Anyways, who do you think taught the angels how to sing and gave Little Richard his voice?” He questioned me back before he belted out a long “woohoo” note and I laughed.

“Now, it’s time to go on a little trip back through time.” He told me with a bright and shinning grin before placing his sunglasses on his face and started to sing a song that I had heard before called “Roll Back The Rock” from “We’re Back, A Dinosaur Story” while he danced, snapped his fingers, and played with a yoyo that was in the same shape and had the exact same colors of the earth. After he had finished, I raised an eyebrow again.

“I thought you said that you wrote that song?” I questioned.

“I did.” He replied with a grin. “Who do you think gave the songwriters the idea in the first place?” He questioned me back with a wink. “You see, you all have more of my power inside of you than you realize. When you find that power and just believe in yourself,.. you can move mountains.” He told me before giving me a little pat on the shoulder. “I’ll give you some time to practice then shall I?” He questioned me before leaving the room.

For the next few weeks Shock Therapy rehearsed the song whenever we could. We rehearsed after school, we rehearsed during school for free period. We also rehearsed on the weekends until we got to the point where we figured that we could perform the song in our sleep. The day of the fundraiser the weather was beautiful, but I gulped when I saw how many people were there and I turned to DJ.

“I don’t think that I can do this.” I told him with a shake of my head but that’s when he just simply smiled at me and squatted down in front of me and placed his hands on top of my shoulders.

“Have you ever heard the poem Footprints In The Sand?” He questioned me.

“Yes. My parents used to tell it to me all the time when I was little.” I replied.

“Well, then in that case you already know that I’ll be with you every step of the way. You’re going to do great out there Champ. Consider that a promise.” He told me before embracing me tightly as I nodded and then we took our spots with the rest of the band and DJ began to speak into his headset.

“I’m David James, and welcome to the official debut of Shock Therapy and this song was written for and is dedicated to Michael L. Dawson senior.” He said before he played some killer cords for the introduction of our song and then he started strumming it steadily as he sung and some of the notes he belted.

“For whenever I had troubles, you were always there. For whenever I had problems,.. you made them disappear. Oh,.. it might sound crazy, or it might not at all. But you were the best friend that I ever found.” He sang before we all started singing together.

“Cause you gave me the strength, when I thought it was lost. Whenever I fell, you took my hand and helped me to walk. You always told me,.. to come on baby and spread your wings, for you can’t even fly if you don’t even try. And no matter what you taught me that I always belong. And you gave me the strength,.. the strength to carry on.” We sang before I took my solo.

“And now I can be there for them as you were for me!! Never giving up and being with my friends is where I’m supposed to be!!! Oh yeah!!!” I belted out as the crowd started to roar before we went straight back to the chorus together.

“Cause you gave me the strength, when I thought it was lost. Whenever I fell, you took my hand and helped me to walk. You always told me,.. to come on baby and spread your wings, for you can’t even fly if you don’t even try. And no matter what you taught me that I always belong. And you gave me the strength,.. the strength to carry on.” We sang together.

“Yeah,.. you gave me the strength to carry on.” I sang as the song ended and the crowd quickly got to their feet and started cheering and applauding louder than I’ve heard them cheer at sporting events as DJ just simply grinned.

“Ladies and gentlemen,.. we are Shock Therapy.” He said into his headset.

“Shock Therapy!! Shock Therapy!! Shock Therapy!!” The crowd chanted repeatedly over and over again and my heart soared and all I could do was just beam with pride.

Sorry, I am currently doing a Harry Potter fanfic and I keep forgetting about this.

Chapter Ten: Lost

We played a few more existing songs like Kryptonite, I Don’t Wanna Be, and Free Bird before our show was over and we all gathered together. “Great show guys!” DJ exclaimed excitedly as I just simply smiled at him.

“We did do a pretty good job didn’t we?” I questioned him as he grinned back at me. “I’d say, that it was rather,.. shocking.” I said and that’s when suddenly we both stuck out our fingers towards each other and DJ shot a little bit of static into mine. “Hey!” I cried out as he let out a chuckle.

“The best thing is that all of our money from the show and today’s carnival goes towards cancer patients like Lisa.” DJ said.

“Yeah, well now do you want to go play some games, get our faces painted, and get some food and something to drink?” I inquired as a rather large grin stretched a crossed his face.

“If I said no, I would be lying to you and you already know how I feel about that.” He told me as I leapt on top of his back like I used to do with my father after we had played a really good show. “What do I look like to you a jackass?” He questioned me as I let out a dramatic gasp of astonishment.

“DJ! I thought you never swore! I must say that I’m appalled!” I cried out.

“Don’t be, I’m talking about the donkey.” He told me when suddenly when ran into two other people. One of them was male and sort of looked like DJ, but he had shorter hair and a beard. The other one was female, and she had skin as white as snow, long black hair, and amber colored eyes.

“Hey Dad.” The male began and I knew in an instant who it was before I leapt off DJ’s back and he ran to them and embraced them both tightly.

“Jesus!! Hopey!!” He cried out.

“Wait a second, I thought Jesus was just another form of you.” I said as I raised an eyebrow of confusion.

He is, but He’s got to call me something now, doesn’t He? And since He was born from my spirit, it only fits that He calls me Father.” DJ explained before he finally let them go.

“Dad, can I talk to you for a second?” Jesus inquired.

“Sure Son, Hopey why don’t you go ahead and stay here with Mickey and get to know him?” DJ suggested before he went off to the side with Jesus.

“Dad, is it just my imagination or are you getting just a little too attached to Mick and the rest of this planet?” Jesus asked him before DJ simply just heaved a sad sigh and hung his head.

“No,.. you’re right. I am. Don’t worry though, I haven’t forgotten my mission. As soon as it’s over I’m going back to Heaven with you and Hope. It’s where I belong. I could never find a place here on earth.” He said before heaving another sad sigh and slumping down slowly walked back over to me.

“Hey DJ, are you alright?” I questioned him with concern as he faked a smile at me.

“Yeah kid, I’m fine.” He replied. “Maybe you were right kid, maybe sometimes we have to lie to protect the ones we love and care about.” He thought inside his head and was really glad that he and Jesus and Hope were the only people who could read minds. “Come on, let’s go and enjoy the rest of the carnival.” He told me and I smiled back at him before we started showing Jesus and Hope around. DJ and I both got our faces painted (I got a pawprint and he got a lightning bolt) and then we played some games before saying goodbye to Jesus and Hope and going home.

“Hey Mickey, want to keep my prize that I won at Ring Toss?” He questioned me while he held up his tiny bag that held a little goldfish inside it that was swimming around. “Although it’s a cute little fishy, I’m more of a dog person myself.” He told me but instead of answering his question I just simply looked at him.

“DJ, why did Jesus and Hope come to the carnival today? Aren’t they supposed to be in Heaven?” I asked him before he took a deep breath and simply just sighed as all of the color in his face suddenly drained out.

“Look kid, what you have to understand about that is__” He began when I suddenly burst into tears.

“They were coming back for you weren’t they!?” I sobbed. “It isn’t fair!! First my father leaves and now you!! I just feel so lost DJ!! And I would feel even more lost without you!!” I cried before DJ tightly embraced me and I could hear his heart pounding up against his chest as he hugged me.

“No kid. I will never leave you or forsake you. No matter what happens. I promise you that.” He reassured me as he gently rubbed my back while I cried inside his chest. “Shh,.. it’s okay. It’s okay.” He whispered before softly kissing the top of my head.

That night once again I fell asleep inside his arms. With DJ here with me, it sort of felt like having my father back with me again. For DJ was now the closest thing I had to it. I was just happy that I finally had another person in my life that loved me, and I really didn’t want that to go away. I didn’t want DJ to go away. After the school carnival people were really starting to notice me and I was finally starting to fit in and make friends. I even got enough courage to sign up for the school football team. Little did I know, all of my problems weren’t over. They were just starting to begin.

Sorry, I forgot again.

Chapter Eleven: A Good Strong name

“Here you go Jonah.” I said while I gave my new goldfish a pinch of fish food completely unaware that my little sister Hannah was currently having a rather bad day. You see unlike me, she had blonde hair and blue eyes like my mother. She wasn’t particularly close to my father, (especially since there was no relation) but since he was over our house all the time making music with me and her own father recently walked out on her and her mother, she often felt like she was all alone in the world.

Hannah heaved a sad sigh as she sat upon her bed coloring in her coloring book when suddenly DJ knocked on the door and stuck his face inside. “Hey baby girl, can I come in?” He questioned her with a grin, but she just simply looked up at him silently without saying a word. “I know, I know, you’re a bit ticked off with me since I’m just one of the people giving your brother all the attention.” He said as he sat at the foot of her bed.

“Mick isn’t my brother. He’s just a kid that lives with us. We’ve never really spent any time together and we were never close. We have,.. had different fathers.” She told him as he slowly began to nod at her.

“Ah,.. I see. So you think that you have to have the same blood to be family.” He began. “Well, can I tell you a secret?” He questioned her as she silently nodded at him and he grinned at her. “I’m God.” He told her and when she scrunched up her face in confusion, he just let out a chuckle. “You don’t believe me do you? Well, that’s alright.

Mick didn’t at first either. However, I think I can prove to you that I really am God. I’ll bet you right now that I can get you a new father before the week is over. If I lose, I’ll get out of your life forever,.. but if I win you need to promise me that you’ll give me and Mick,.. especially Mick more of a chance. Do we have an understanding?” He asked her as she nodded and smiled at him and that’s when they shook hands. “Good. And don’t forget, it’s our secret.” He told her with a grin and a wink and Hannah stifled a laugh and pretended to lock her lips and throw away the key.

On Monday morning after I got off the school bus DJ was there to meet me and that’s when I let out a horrified shriek and placed my hand on top of my chest right where my heart was. “DJ don’t do that!! You scared me!!” I cried out before he gave a chuckle.

“Sorry Champ, I didn’t mean to.” He told me.

“Anyways, you’re taking a mighty big risk showing up here after that stunt you pulled with Eugene.” I told him.

“I know but I had to talk to you and tell you that I decided to pick you up today after you have football practice. I’ve got a surprise for you.” He told me with a rather sly grin.

“Alright, but I sure hope that whatever it is it’s not going to wind up getting me into even bigger trouble.” I told him before I headed inside my high school.

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

That afternoon once DJ picked me up from school, I was not expecting him to pull up to the curb on a great big and black Harley Davidson motorcycle. My eyeballs nearly popped right out of their sockets as soon as I saw him and heard the engine roaring. “Listen to this tiger growl!” He exclaimed excitedly.

“Wow!” I whispered as he brought the bike to a stop and a rather large grin stretched a crossed his face.

“Now, I take it from the expression on your face that you want to go for a ride.” He began before tossing me a helmet. “Well, better take this as you’re going to need it.” He told me as I quickly put on my helmet and then leapt onto his bike and wrapped my arms tightly around his middle. “Hold on.” He instructed. “You’re about to go on the ride of your life.” He told me and just like that we shot off like a rocket while “Born to Be Wild” was blasting from the radio.

“Woohoo!!!” We both cried out together before DJ instructed me to hold on even tighter as he made his motorcycle rear up on its back wheel and performed a wheelie going down the street. Just when I was starting to think that God couldn’t get any cooler, we pulled into the parking lot of a pet shop.

“What are we doing here DJ?” I asked him as soon as he had turned off the motor.

“I thought that we both could use a new friend.” He replied as we left our helmets hanging on the handlebars and he stuck his keys inside his pocket and held the door open for me.

“Are we really getting a new puppy?” I questioned him eagerly.

“If that’s what you want.” He replied with a grin and that’s when we discovered an encloser in the middle of the room with a whole bunch of puppies running around. That’s when I saw the cutest little puppy covered with long black fur and a patch of white on his chest and on all four of his paws. The tiny puppy began to whimper before I picked him up and then he started wagging his tail and licking my face making me laugh and DJ laughed as well.

“I think we have a winner.” I began. “And I think I’m going to name him Samson. Sam or Sammy for short.” I announced as DJ slowly nodded.

“Samson it is then and it’s a really good strong name too.” He said and as we paid for Samson and his puppy supplies two things just occurred to me. One was how were we going to get him home, and two,.. just exactly what would Mom have to say about this?

Chapter Twelve: Male Bonding

DJ and I repeatedly pressed buttons upon our GameCube controllers as we played Super Smash Brothers Melee. “Alright Mario it’s time to feel the wrath of Pikachu!” DJ exclaimed before releasing a jolt of lightning at my character. “Hey, you were right, this is a lot more fun than cards and board games.” He told me.

“It’s easy for you to say, you’ve whopped me the last five games.” I began with a groan and a roll of my eyes. “I say that I should have gone with Mom when she came to pick up Samson and leave you at the pet store by yourself. And if you weren’t my best friend I would have.” I finished as it had turned out that Mom was in on our new puppy all along and she had gone to collect him once we had left the pet shop and then I came home with DJ on his motorcycle.

DJ just simply chuckled as he put the game on pause. “Thanks Champ, I appreciate that.” He replied with a grin. “And for the record you’re my best friend too.”

“Really?” I questioned him with uncertainty. “I am?”

“Do you see any other fifteen-year-old boy who also happens to be a highly talented rock star around here?” He questioned me back as I stifled a laugh.

“Thanks, but the band wouldn’t be nearly as good if it wasn’t for you.” I told him and before he could answer me that’s when my mother knocked on the door.

“Alright, time for bed.” She told me as DJ whined playfully and unpaused the game and pretended to play it some more.

“Aww,.. come on Mother five more minutes!” He cried as she let out a giggle.

“I was talking to Michael DJ.” She told him as he paused the game again and grinned at her.

“I know. I was just joking.” He replied with a chuckle. “Alright, I’ll take that as my cue to leave.” He began as he stood up and started walking towards the door. “I need to go take a dump anyways.” He finished as I just simply rolled my eyes at him.

“Too much information Dad__ err,.. I mean dude.” I responded completely unaware of the fact that he had stopped in the hallway around the corner and leaned up against the wall with his arms folded.

“Well,.. what do you know?” He questioned with a rather warm and loving smile before he proceeded to go towards the bathroom and shut the door behind him once he had gotten inside.

“Did you just call DJ Dad?” Mom asked me with a rather confused and bewildering look on her face. “He looks like he isn’t that much older than you.”

“Well,.. err,.. umm,.. you see,..” I began but that’s when I suddenly let out a great big breath of exasperation and rolled my eyes again because I knew that I was busted. “If I tell you, you have to promise that you won’t freak out.” I told her as she simply just nodded at me in response.

“Alright, go ahead.” She replied as she waved me on.

“DJ’s God.” I told her.

“Want to run that by me again?” She inquired.

“I swear, it’s the honest truth. I met Jesus and Hope at our school fundraiser and I’m guessing that Hope was the Holy Spirit. DJ is on some mission that involves him singing in my rock band.” I told her.

“Can you even begin to understand how crazy you sound right now?” She questioned me.

“Probably not.” I replied anxiously before she folded her arms.

“Well, I can tell you one thing. If DJ is actually God, then whoever invented the phrase cleanliness is close to godliness is completely out of their mind.” She said and I knew exactly what she was talking about too.

For right at that very moment DJ was downstairs raiding our refrigerator and grabbed a can of Dr. Pepper and quickly shut the door behind him and pulled open the top while Samson looked up at him with interest. “Ah,.. I love that sound.” He said before grabbing a bag of popcorn and putting it in the microwave as well as a tub of chocolate ice cream, chocolate syrup, whipped cream, sprinkles, and a bag of Doritos.

“Now,.. don’t you dare touch any of that or you’ll be the one sleeping in the doghouse tonight and the forecast is calling for rain so I wouldn’t if I were you.” He warned the small puppy while pointing his finger at him sternly but when Samson let out a tiny whine DJ smiled at him and scratched him behind the ears. Once he had his snack ready he turned on the television set and started stuffing his face while watching an episode of SpongeBob SquarePants.

A little while later he had fallen asleep with the rest of the household. Even Samson was sleeping on the floor down by the couch where he laid as the rain fell heavily outside on the patio. That’s when suddenly he started tossing and turning. “No! Get away from him! Leave that kid alone!!” He cried out when he awoke in a cold sweat startling the black and white puppy below him as he did. “Satan.” He said to himself while thunder roared, and lightning flashed.

As if on cue that’s when the doorbell rang. DJ got up to answer it and Jesus and Hope were standing right there before him and he quickly ushered them inside and then shut the door behind them before following them back to the living room. “Satan’s returning and he’s coming after Mick.” He told them.

“We know.” Hope began. “Jesus told me because He saw it in a vision.” She explained.

“So did I but on earth it’s what’s known as a nightmare and it happens when you’re sleeping.” DJ told her.

“Umm,.. I think I know that Dad. I spent just a little bit over three decades of my life on earth.” Jesus told him.

“So, anyways,.. what was the nightmare about?” Hope asked him.

“Well, it was about Satan returning to earth in the body of a rapper by the name of Diablo and he wants to be a more popular artist than me so he’s challenging me to a contest. The winner gets to keep Mick all to himself and his soul.” He explained.

“So then what happens to the loser?” She wondered as there was a silent pause.

“The loser has to stay away from him,.. forever.” DJ replied with a rather solemn and worried expression on his face.

Chapter Thirteen: Diablo

It was precisely right at that moment that I woke up to all of the commotion that was going on downstairs. I slowly came down the stairs and then stopped as I turned my head to look over at Jesus and Hope. “What are you guys doing here?” I wondered as DJ quickly glanced up at me.

“Mick, go back upstairs right now.” He told me and I could hear the panic in the voice as he said it.

“What is it DJ?” I questioned him anxiously.

“GO!!!” He hollered and pointed back up the stairs and I quickly burst into tears as I ran back into my bedroom and slammed the door behind me whereas Jesus just simply heaved a sad sigh.

“You lost your temper again didn’t you?” He questioned him.

“No I didn’t,.. I mean,.. I didn’t mean too I’m just really worried about him.” DJ explained. “Boy, I may be sinless, but as a human I’m not perfect and maybe that means that I can still sometimes be wrong even without committing sin.” He began. “I’ll go talk to him. Make yourselves at home and don’t worry the puppy is friendly.” He told them before quickly hurrying up the stairs and knocking on my bedroom door.

“Mickey, it’s Deej.” He began. “May I come in?” He inquired.

“You’re God. Why are you asking me?” I wondered.

“Cause I never barge my way in. I always ask to be invited.” He explained before slowly opening the door and came down to sit down on the foot of my bed since he already knew that it was alright with me and gently started rubbing my back. “I just wanted to say that I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to raise my voice at you but I’m really worried about you right now.

You see, I’m not the only one who likes to play games. Satan’s favorite game is monkey see monkey do and he’s extremely angry that I currently have the three F’s. Fame, fortune, and family. Minus that third F, he wants it too. Or rather if you count torturing them and keeping them as slaves for himself that he wants the third F as well. Look kid, just promise me that you’ll stay close to your mother and I for a little while. If anything, ever happened to you I don’t know what I would do. Ever since the creation of man I have always been Father,.. but up until now I never really had what you could call a friend.” He explained to me before I sniffed and sat up and embraced him tightly while tears silently streamed down my cheeks.

“I love you.” I told him as he hugged me back his eyes glistening.

“I love you too.” He began as a tear rolled down his own cheek. “More than you could possibly ever even imagine. And I promise you that no matter what happens that I will always be there for you.” He finished before kissing my cheek and then continuing to hold me tightly.

“I guess that just goes to show that everybody needs friends. Even God Himself.” I said.

“Darn right.” He replied while gently starting to rock me in his arms and kissed my cheek again before starting to sing another lullaby to me which was from the Disney movie Dumbo and eventually, we wound up both falling asleep.

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

“Okay, so this is called a baseball mitt.” DJ began the next day to Hope as all four of us met on the baseball field just to have some fun.

“Really? What do I do with it?” She asked him.

“You catch the baseball in it.” He replied with a grin.

“But I don’t know how to catch.” She told him but he simply just smiled at her.

“That’s alright Mick and I can teach you.” He told her. “Jesus, do you want to be pitcher, umpire, or catcher?” He questioned Him.

“Yes.” He replied with a grin before DJ just simply slapped his forehead.

“That was a multiple-choice question Son. Just because you can be everywhere and anywhere at exactly the same time like your old man doesn’t mean you should. Nobody likes a showoff.” He told him teasingly and since Jesus knew that he was only joking he burst out laughing.

“So DJ, what part are you going to play?” I questioned him as he just grinned at me in response and within a snap of his fingers he changed his outfit into a California Angels baseball uniform and cap.

“There’s only one position for me of course.” He replied before he started to perform the song Centerfield by John Fogerty while we started playing our baseball game. Once the song and the game had finished, I sniffed the air for I smelled the thick scent of smoke filling it and it turns out that I was correct, for as all four of us turned our heads, there standing before us in the shadows was a tall dark stranger dressed all in black with a bit of whiskers on his face.

From the color of his skin, I could tell that he was a mix of African American, Caucasian, and Hispanic. He had on a backwards black baseball cap with a white letter capital D engraved in the front of it. He also had a round necklace over his hoodie that had a star in the center of it and he slowly turned to look at us with his dark beady eyes.

“Well, well, well, if it isn’t the rock God Himself?” He questioned with an evil sneer and a puff of smoke. “You sure have come a long way since you flooded the earth, starting plagues, and parting the Red Sea.” He said and that’s when suddenly in an instant I know who he was as DJ narrowed his eyebrows angrily and glared at him.

“Hello there Satan. Or is it,.. Diablo now?” He questioned him.

Chapter Fourteen: The Deal

As I looked over at Diablo my eyes widened in complete and utter shock and horror because I realized that he had a shiny silver gun inside his back pocket and I just hoped and prayed that he wasn’t planning to use it on me since I thought that currently I was the only person that could die.

“Notice the D?” Diablo inquired. “It doesn’t stand for my dick even though it’s a big one.” He replied as DJ just simply scowled at him while he blew a puff of smoke in his face making him cough.

“It’s bad enough that you have such foul language in the first place, but now you’re speaking like that in front of my boy.” He growled as Diablo flicked some of the ashes off his cigarette onto his shoe.

“I think I liked it better without a body.” He told him as Jesus and Hope looked just as pissed off as DJ was but of course none of them would ever phrase it like that. That’s when suddenly Samson started growling as well. “I see you also got a dog.” Diablo began while lighting his cigarette again. “I don’t like them much.”

“Well that’s just fine with us since we don’t like you very much. Now go back to Hell Satan!!” DJ hollered angrily at him. “Or Diablo or whatever the heck your name is!!” He told him but that’s when suddenly Diablo chuckled maliciously.

“You want me gone? You got it. However, we aren’t in Heaven anymore and down here on earth you can’t get something for nothing.” He told him before blowing a few more puffs of smoke. “So here’s the deal, I’m sick and tired of you always getting the attention and now it’s my turn. I rule over this domain anyways. And I hate rock, it makes me want to puke just as much as looking at your ugly mug does to me.” He began.

“Shut up.” I growled and that’s when slowly Diablo turned his head to look over at me.

“You must be Dawson. Yes, I’ve heard all about you. Your father was so saintly and goody-goody that I knew that in the end that cancer would be the only way of ending him. Luckily for me, I have a really good way of ending you. DJ’s so called rock talent against my rap talent. Whoever wins gets to keep you and your soul, and whoever loses,.. well,.. looks like they will be parting ways with you forever. All I’ve got to say is that you better hope that your man DJ wins, otherwise you’re going to burn up like a sidewalk on a summer day.” He said and at that moment he grabbed ahold of his cigarette in his left hand and melted it reducing it to lava and ash.

“I’m not scared of you.” I began while glaring angrily at him. “DJ’s better than you’ll ever be and he’s going to whoop your ass again just like he did the first time when he banished you from Heaven.” I finished but that’s when a rather large grin stretched a crossed Diablo’s face.

“I like ya kid, you have spunk. And it’s going to be great torturing you for all of eternity. Hey yo DJ, remember me?” He began with an introduction to his song and rap. “For it’s been quite an eternity!!” He belted out while he grabbed him by the collar of his shirt and as he shoved him aside, he fell onto the ground and then Jesus and Hope quickly helped him up and continued glaring at Diablo while he started to rap.

“For every devil used to be an angel, yet I was tired of getting crap from you always telling me what to do!” He rapped before he started to sing again. “Now I get to be me! Now I get to be as bad and evil as I wanna be! For I answer to nobody but myself!!!” He belted out.

“And now I’m about to raise some hell.” He said with an extremely evil and malicious laugh before starting to rap again. “You see it’s like this I got a plan for sweet revenge, it’s your talent against the kid and I can’t wait to see how this story’s gonna end. You see if you win, Mickey is free to go, but if I win, I get to keep his soul.

Well there, now ya got it my offer’s laid out clean on the table, and when it comes to my word it’s firm and stable. I will leave the kid alone if you win then you both go, but if not I get his soul. Am I clear? Ready to sign it in blood just like the kind you lost at the cross, so if you’re ready sign it red remember if you lose the kid’s as good as dead!!” He rapped before holding up this ancient scroll in front of DJ’s face.

DJ heaved a sad sigh and looked at me solemnly. “No DJ don’t do it!!” I cried out before DJ bit his finger and then pressed it up against the scroll on the bottom line.

“Sorry Champ, I don’t have a choice.” He told me while Diablo rolled the scroll back up again and he just simply sneered at DJ again.

“Oh and one more thing before you go,.. since you’re evil you wouldn’t know,.. but it sure is good,.. to be bad to the bone.” He rapped and with one more thunderous and malicious laugh he transformed into an Egyptian Cobra with glowing devilish red eyes. With one great big and loud hiss he quickly slithered away.

“DJ, what the hell do you think you were doing making a deal with that guy!? What if you lose!?” I cried out frantically.

“I can’t.” He responded. “And don’t worry Champ, no matter what I promise you that I will keep you safe. Didn’t you just say yourself that I could do it? Well, in me all things are possible. Just have more faith in me then in that evil bastard.” He told me as I stifled a laugh.

“Did God just cuss?” I inquired.

“Yeah but only this one stupid time because he really is an evil bastard so I don’t find it to be sinful. Come on, let’s go home and start rehearsal.” He told me with a rather warm and loving affectionate smile before all four of us headed towards the parking lot.

Chapter Fifteen: Being Your Own Boss

As soon as we got back in my father’s Subaru DJ heaved a rather sad and long-drawn-out sigh. He shut the door behind him and glanced down at the ground. “Uh Deej, are you okay?” I questioned him anxiously out of concern.

“Yeah Champ, I just have a lot on my mind.” He replied while buckling his seatbelt and turning on the car engine as it started to rain, and he pulled out of the parking lot while ironically “Who’ll Stop The Rain” came onto the radio and DJ sang along with it as Hope rested her head onto Jesus’ shoulder. Jesus then wrapped a brotherly arm around her and kissed her forehead.

Once we got home and after DJ pulled into the driveway a brown package caught his eye and I simply just grinned since I knew what it was and since he was God, I knew that he did too. He put his foot on the brake and then put the car in park and quickly raised his hood as he hurried outside and grabbed the package off of the porch while I hurried after him and he silently turned his head to look back at me seeking my approval since it was addressed to me.

“Open it.” I told him with a rather warm and affectionate smile and watched as he tore it open. A huge grin stretched a crossed his face as he saw a black leather jacket and a silver bling G necklace on top of it. He put on the necklace and then picked up the jacket and then turned it around while holding it up in front of his face and saw two red letters on either side of it. On the left side was a D and on the right side was a J. Beneath it were the words “Rock God” written in bright red glittery letters with a lightning bolt in between them.

As DJ turned to look at me and smiled, I smiled back at him. “I figured that you could wear this at our next concert.” I told him before he reached out his hand and ruffled my hair.

“I may never be surprised, but that doesn’t mean that I never get touched. Thanks Champ, this is really meaningful. “ He told me.

“Well if you’re never surprised that sort of makes things rather difficult for Christmases and birthdays.” I said before he just simply let out a chuckle.

“You already know that there’s more to Christmas than getting presents and I don’t have a birthday because I was never born,.. at least as DJ.” He pointed out. “Besides, eventually I have to go back to Heaven.” He told me and that’s when I silently looked at him in response before I hurried inside and ran to my bedroom and DJ heaved another sad sigh as he turned to Jesus and Hope as they were walking up the driveway and then they both stopped to look at him.

“I had to tell him the truth.” He began.

“We know.” Hope replied.

“And you should always speak the truth.” Jesus began. “And I know that you never lie, but is it possible that what you define as truth could really be defined as obligation? Or rather the fact that you feel it and express it.” He said and that’s when DJ slowly turned his head towards the front door.

“Both.” He began. “The fact is that I don’t belong here. I belong in Heaven, and once I’m finished with my mission, I’m going back there with both of you. End of story.” He told Him before he hurried inside as well.

“He may be sinless but he’s rather stubborn, and he might know everything up here,..” Hope began while pointing at her head. “but he doesn’t know everything in here.” She finished while placing her hand over her heart.

“That’s because up until now he hasn’t had one.” Jesus told her before taking her by the hand. “Come on, let’s go inside.”

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

I sat on top of my bed gently strumming my guitar. “So if you just believe in yourself as you believe in me,.. you can move mountains a crossed the sea.” I sang when suddenly there came a few knocks on the door. “Come in.” I said before DJ slowly entered the room wearing his new necklace and jacket and then sat on the bed beside me.

“Hey kid, writing a new song for the band?” He inquired.

“What does it look like I’m doing?” I questioned him back. “Besides, why do you care? You’ll be leaving soon anyways.” I pointed out.

“Look Mickey, if I could stay I would but I’m God remember? I sort of have a duty to watch over people and answer prayers and do everything that God does. And God is not supposed to have a profession as a rock star.” He told me.

“Why not? Who made that rule? Besides who can tell you what and what not to do as God when you don’t have a boss and you are the boss. You’re not just the boss of the whole entire world but you’re your own boss and I don’t see why you don’t deserve to have your own happiness. You’re fully God and fully human just like Jesus was and Jesus was a carpenter when He still lived here on earth. So if He can be a carpenter, then you better believe that you can be a rock star.” I told him with a grin in which he slowly returned.

“Thanks Champ I needed that.” He began. “Now,.. let’s get rocking!!” He exclaimed excitedly before he helped me to continue writing my new song. Right before bed I turned over to look at him.

“Hey DJ we got one problem. Diablo didn’t tell us where this contest is supposed to take place.” I pointed out.

“No, but if he wants to battle us then he has to be talking about The Dueling Bands competition down in Los Angeles!” He cried out before kissing me on the cheek. “Time to get some shut eye kid! We have about several hours of driving ahead of us tomorrow!” He exclaimed before he left the room.

Chapter Sixteen: Miss James

“Ugh, nothing smells worse than wet dog.” Jesus said as He walked Samson into the house with Hope by His side.

“Yeah, you’re right, but he sure is a cute little doggie.” Hope said as she scratched Samson behind the ears while DJ slowly came down the stairs.

“So, how did everything go?” Hope asked him.

“It all went great and we leave first thing tomorrow morning.” He replied with a grin but that’s when suddenly Jesus folded His arms at him.

“Uh Dad, aren’t you forgetting something?” He questioned him. “Mick and his friends have school tomorrow.” He pointed out.

“Oh poop.” DJ replied with a slap of his forehead. “My age must be getting to me. I know everything, but I don’t necessarily remember everything! I never thought I would be the one saying this,.. but help me Jesus!! You’ve just got to help me!! We need to make it to the concert tomorrow we just have to! It’s literally a matter between life and death!!” He cried out as Jesus just simply let out a chuckle.

“Relax, I have a plan. A plan that doesn’t involve sinning,.. just a high level of forgiveness and being a good sport.” He replied.

“I don’t like the sound of that.” DJ responded with a shake of his head.

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

“Can you please remind me why I’m dressed up like Mrs. Claus when she’s on holiday?” DJ questioned the next day as he now had on a gray wig that was tied into a bun, a purple rimmed hat with a bow, a purple gown with matching flats and a sweater overtops of it, and a pair of spectacles with golden clip-on earrings. He also had on some light blue eyeshadow, blush, false eyelashes, and bright red lipstick.

Jesus chuckled. “Well since God is everywhere and in everybody then He could also be in an old woman for one so that wouldn’t be a lie, and for two,.. all you have to do is tell Mick’s teacher that you’re wanting to take him and his friends to a concert and that wouldn’t be a lie either. You don’t have to mention what kind of concert it is, let them work that part out for themselves.” Jesus said with a thunderous laugh.

“Jesus you are a genius!!” DJ began. “But they’re bound to see something’s off when I have legs as hairy as a grizzly bear and a hotdog without a bun!” He snapped inside a whisper.

“Yeah, and you’re also lopsided.” Jesus replied while He started to fix him when suddenly I started walking downstairs.

“What’s going on here?” I questioned as I came to a stop on the landing as DJ suddenly let out a rather loud gasp of astonishment and looked up at me.

“Mickey, this isn’t what it looks like!” He cried out. “I’ll explain on the way to school.” He told me.

“Oh yeah, school,.. I forgot about that part. I’m late too and Mom is probably going to pitch a fit.” I replied.

“Don’t worry, I’ll help you get out of it.” DJ reassured me.

“Looking like that!?” I questioned him in complete and utter disbelief and bewilderment while my eyes started widening.

“I said that I would explain everything on the way!!” DJ cried out. “Man, first the cross and now this. The things I do for my children.” He said with a roll of his eyes. “By the way, I need a woman’s honest opinion,” he began as he turned to look at Hope. “Does this dress make me look fat?” He inquired.

“Do you even hear yourself right now? Or rather do you hear what I hear?” I questioned him?”

“Yes!!” He mock sobbed. “I’m turning into a mere mortal!!” He cried out as I stifled a laugh and got a handkerchief out of his sweater pocket and blew his nose.

“Well it’s like what you always say Dad, you made them from your image.” Jesus began. “Just thankfully you didn’t look like that at the beginning of creation.” He finished.

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

“So I was wondering if you would let me bring my dear young laddie and his charming little friends with me to the concert.” DJ said in his best old lady voice that sounded a bit southern while snickers broke throughout the room and Caleb scrunched up his face in confusion.

“DJ?” He questioned quietly and that’s when I just pointed over at him and made a slicing head motion with my finger signaling him that I would kill him if he said another word and he got the message and quickly shut up.

“Will it be educational?” Ms. Wright inquired while DJ elbowed me in the ribs for threatening Caleb.

“Ouch!” I cried out.

“I think you can safely say madam that there will be a lesson involved that they won’t ever forget.” DJ replied in the same voice.

“Okay then whatever just take them, but you’ll still have to sign them out Ms.???” Ms. Wright responded in a questioning voice.

“James Madam and it was a very lovely experience to have met you, Caroline.” He replied while giving her a curtsey.

“That’s funny, I don’t remember giving you my first name.” She said but we had already raced out the door before we could hear her response and that’s when DJ gently shoved my shoulder and pushed up the spectacles on his nose.

“You. Owe. Me. BIG time.” He told me while Caleb and I lowered our heads and tried to hide our laughter as we exchanged glances.

“Alright, come on. Let’s just go get Logan and Josh.” I said before we quickly hurried on our way. The next thing I knew is that all five of us were in the car on the road to the concert with Josh blasting “Dude Looks Like A Lady” from his iPod and everybody except DJ (who looked like his normal self once again) was singing it on top of their lungs.

“I just got you boys out of school and this is the thanks I get!? Typical.” He said with a roll of his eyes.

“Sorry DJ, you really rock dude.” Josh told him while patting him on the shoulder.

“Yeah, you are a totally awesome God.” I replied with a grin without thinking as all three of the other boys turned their heads to look at me and the song ended. You could hear a pin drop.

Chapter Seventeen: Don’t Stop Believing

As DJ slammed on the brakes the vehicle came to a screeching stop on the side of road. “Michael!!” He scolded while quickly turning his head around to face me. That’s when I simply just blushed and sucked in my cheeks.

“Oops. Sorry.” I replied.

“Dude, did you just say that DJ is God?” Josh questioned me.

“Did I?” I questioned back in a rather small voice before gulping nervously.

“Well now after that we have to tell them.” DJ began before he heaved a sigh and then took a deep breath. “It’s true guys. I’m God.” He told them.

“Sweet!!” Josh exclaimed excitedly with a grin.

“Awesome!!” Logan cried out but Caleb didn’t say anything and just simply turned to look out the window.

“I don’t believe in God.” He began. “Not anymore since the divorce.” He finished.

“Look man, I know how you feel. I was the same way when my parents divorced and when my father died,.. but even though I never got to say goodbye that wasn’t DJ’s fault and yes, he is God. He has to be. I was ready to quit the band forever, and he helped me realize that I shouldn’t quit doing what I love to do, and he even answered my prayer about having a friend. However, instead of one friend he gave me three.” I pointed out as DJ started driving again and sniffed.

“Hey Mickey, I’m getting choked up over here.” He told me while grabbing the steering wheel with one hand and steadying it before wiping his nose on the back of his other hand.

“Sorry man do you need a tissue?” I asked him.

“No, I’m good.” He replied with a shake of his head.

Once we had gotten to the stadium DJ quickly parked the car and we all ran towards the entrance gate with our band equipment. “Name?” The security guard questioned.

“Read the jacket.” DJ replied before he quickly spun around.

“DJ?” He replied questioningly.

“Yeah, it’s short for David James.” He began as he spun back around. “And this is Mick, Josh, Caleb, and Logan.” He finished pointing to all of us as he said our names. “We’re Shock Therapy and we want to enter the competition.” He explained.

“They’re just a bunch of kids.” He replied.

“Thank you Captain Obvious!” DJ exclaimed sarcastically. “I know they’re kids but they’re really talented and you should just give them a chance.” He told him.

“Sorry, you have to be eighteen or older to enter.” He replied as DJ suddenly let out a great big breath of exasperation and glanced down at the ground.

“Normally I don’t mess with free will, but this is an emergency.” He said as he quickly snapped his fingers. “I think that you just had a change of thought.” He began. “Now can we get in?” He questioned with a grin.

“Certainly Mr. James.” The security guard replied in a robotic hypnotic tone. “Everybody is welcome. Especially kids, I love kids, all kinds of kids.” He replied with Caleb let out a gasp of astonishment and widened his eyes.

“Well thank you that is__” DJ began.

“I love adorable little puppies and kittens too and fluffy bunny rabbits.” He continued.

“Yes well,..” DJ began again as all three of us boys started laughing.

“I even sleep with stuffed animals, and my baby blanket and suck my thumb and___” he continued.

“That’s enough!! You’ve given us way too much information there Malcom.” DJ said and with another snap of his fingers Malcom’s eyeballs rolled back into his head and he collapsed and fell instantly asleep and started to snore.

“Don’t worry, in another hour or so he’ll wake up feeling as fresh as a daisy.” DJ began. “Now come on let’s go!” He cried before all five of us ran inside.

“That was so awesome dude you weren’t kidding!! This guy really is God!!” Josh exclaimed excitedly.

“Shh!! Keep your voice down!!” DJ snapped inside a whisper.

“Sorry man.” Josh told him and that’s when suddenly we bumped into a familiar face.

“Well, well, well,.. DJ, looks like you decided to show up after all.” Diablo said with an evil sneer.

“Uh Mick who’s that?” Josh whispered.

“So you must be Joshua Remix, Logan Daniels,.. and my man Caleb Johnson.” Diablo replied with a grin but DJ was narrowing his eyebrows and glaring at him.

“Stay away from him!!” He shouted.

“Why should I? You heard the kid yourself, didn’t you? He doesn’t believe in you and doesn’t want you anymore after you deserted him once Mom and Dad made the split.” He replied.

“That’s a lie!!” DJ snapped. “Don’t listen to him Caleb!! Block him out!!” He cried out.

“But he’s right!!” Caleb hollered.

“No he isn’t Caleb don’t listen to him!! He’s only saying that so he can get your soul when you die and take you to Hell.” I told him. “He really wants to torture you and DJ is your friend. He is truly the best friend that anybody could ever have and if you want proof that he loves you he not only gave his life for you back when he was Jesus,.. but he’s here right now trying to help us believe in ourselves like he believes in us and the only reason that he agreed to do this contest in the first place is to protect me from him.” I explained while pointing over at Diablo.

“Well, that and I love to rock.” DJ replied with a grin. “But I love you guys more and I just want you to trust me.” He told them as there was a few moments of a silent pause from Caleb before he slowly nodded at him.

“Okay.” He replied.

“NO!!!!!” Diablo hollered on the top of his lungs before he pointed a finger at DJ. “You might have won this round but believe me when I tell you that these kids are mine all mine you hear me!?!” He yelled before he stormed off while a band started playing Journey’s Don’t Stop Believing off in the background.

Chapter Eighteen: The Contest

That’s when Diablo went onto the stage and started rapping a song he wrote about the end of time and how the earth would burst up into flames if he had anything to say about it. DJ heaved a heavy sigh and shook his head while he turned around to face everybody else and that’s when he realized that I was gone.

“Uh hey guys where’s Mick?” He inquired.

“I don’t know you’re God why don’t you tell us?” Logan suggested as DJ groaned and slapped his forehead.

“First of all, you really shouldn’t be trying to tempt me and my powers, and second of all, all the questions I ask are rhetorical.” He explained.

“I think he went to the bathroom.” Caleb replied while pointing his thumb back over his shoulder.

“Thank you Caleb I already knew that don’t you know what a rhetorical question is?” DJ questioned him back.

“Uh huh.” He replied with a nod.

“Oh boy, that’s one of my children that Samson is more intelligent than.” DJ muttered underneath his breath before he quickly hurried to the men’s room. I was already inside one of the stalls with my arms wrapped around my stomach and vomiting into the toilet. This time because he knew that I was in trouble DJ opened the door and rushed inside without asking me first and held me tightly inside his arms before I started to sob.

“I can’t do this DJ I’m scared!!” I sobbed.

“Shh,.. it’s alright.” He began kissing my head and gently rubbing my shoulders before his whole entire body started glowing.

“I don’t want Diablo to take my soul!! I want to stay with you and go to Heaven!!” I sobbed.

“And you will when it’s your time.” He reassured me before kissing my head again and I could hear his heart pounding against his chest.

“I just want Dad to be proud of me, but I’m not like him and I don’t want to let him down.” I told him with a sniff.

“Mickey, I thought that we’ve already been over this. The only way that you could possibly let him down is by giving up and I already told you that you don’t have to go through this alone. I promised that I would never leave you and I never break a promise. I love you so much.

I know you’re kind of big for this, but you need it for one,.. and for two,.. you’ll always be my boy. Why do you think I call you Champ all the time? Because it’s what I know you are,.. a champion. You just don’t know it yet, but I will always be here cheering you on.” He told me before he started to sing a song that was from All Dogs Go to Heaven 2 that was called “I Will Always Be With You.” After he had finished Josh entered the restroom as well.

“Hey Mickey, are you alright? It’s our turn. Diablo just finished his.” He explained as DJ and I exchanged glances.

“Yeah, I’ll be fine. Now that I have my dad with me.” I replied with a grin in which he returned. “You’re blinding me though Dad.” I added as I squinted my eyes from his glow before he let out a chuckle.

“Sorry Champ.” He responded and his glow slowly faded. “Now, what do you say we give them a show that they’ll never forget?” He questioned as Josh grinned.

“I’m in.” He responded while placing his hand out in the air in front of him.

“Me too!” I exclaimed excitedly and placed my hand on top of his.

“You couldn’t stop me even if you wanted to.” DJ began as he put his hand on top of both of ours. “Now,.. let’s get rocking!!!”

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

The room suddenly grew quiet as Shock Therapy went out onto the stage and as we started setting up all of our equipment I just silently hoped and prayed (although I already knew that DJ could hear me) that it wouldn’t be televised otherwise my mother would kill me if she found out that I ditched school for this.

“Hello, I’m David James and this is Shock Therapy.” DJ began into his headset. “And this song was written by our own Mick Dawson and it’s called Moving Mountains.” He finished before he started counting us off and then started strumming the guitar in a rather nice soft rock sound and then I started to sing.

“Oh I may not be the perfect son, but I sure am glad that I’m your perfect one. For you found something in me that I never found before, a whole new world of hidden discoveries found at every door!” I belted out before all five of us went into the chorus.

“And I just wanted to tell you thank you for believing in me. Thank you for letting me see all of that I can be! For with your power and glory I was able to rise and shine!” We sang.

“It’s just like you told me that if I was able to believe in myself as you believe in me,.. that I am able to move mountains a crossed the sea. Yeah, I am able to move mountains a crossed the sea.” I sang and when DJ broke into a killer guitar solo the crowd began to scream and cheer before we sang the chorus one more time and that’s when the crowd broke into cheers and applause.

After our performance was over all five of us went backstage and that’s when DJ turned to me again and smiled at me rather lovingly and affectionately before he embraced me. “What did I tell ya kid? I knew that you would do great.” He told him.

“Thanks, but we all did great.” I replied while I nervously started turning my head and looking around for Diablo because I already knew what was going to happen if we lost, but I didn’t know what was going to happen if we won since I already knew for a fact that the devil wouldn’t go down without a fight.

Only a few more chapters now. :)

Chapter Nineteen: For A Friend

Josh, Caleb, Logan and I all crossed our fingers tightly as we waited for the results. The places were all the way from fourth (which was a punk band called Pink Eye) to third and Diablo (The Serpent was after his name for his stage name) wound up in third, so I already knew that either way we were safe. After they called the second-place winners (which were a country trio called The Darling Daughters) we really started to get nervous.

“And the first place trophy for the Dueling Bands competition of 2021 is,..” one of the judges began as all four of us boys crossed our fingers tighter.

“Shock Therapy!!!” All four judges chorused together while the crowd erupted into cheers and applause and that’s when in an instant Diablo snapped while we ran out on stage jumping up and down with excitement.

“That’s it!! No more mister nice guy!!” He cried while the judge handed DJ our trophy and that’s when suddenly I entered a state of shock and fear as he removed his pistol and pointed it at me.

“He’s got a gun!!” A lady shrieked while he fired a few shots in the air and that’s when DJ quickly pushed us out of the way and tumbled right out in front of us.

“Get out of the way!! Run!!” He hollered and Josh, Logan, and Caleb didn’t wait around to ask questions and frantically fled the scene. I on the other hand didn’t want to leave DJ behind for even though I knew that he was immortal, I still didn’t want him to get hurt since he had a human body. “Michael run!!” He cried.

“No!! I don’t want to leave you!!” I shouted back at him.

“I’ll be just fine son now go!” He exclaimed before I reluctantly turned around and ran away while DJ just turned to narrow his eyebrows and glared at Diablo. “Daddy’s got to kick some butt.” He said and with that he lifted his leg and kicked his arm making him drop his gun and then clutch his arm in pain. “Oh did I forget to warn you? Not only can I play a mean electric guitar, but I also have a black belt in karate.” He told him and that’s when he grabbed him by his arm and swung him over at the wall and then pinned him there with his knee.

“Now listen, I have a proposition for you.” He began. “If I give up my immortality and let you kill me then will you let Mick and his friends go?” He questioned him and that’s when suddenly a rather large grin stretched a crossed Diablo’s face.

“You are such a stupid bastard.” He replied and quickly kicked him in the shins and DJ yelled out in pain and dropped to the floor.

“DJ!!” I cried out as I quickly turned around and started racing back to him, but it was already too late, for that’s when I heard the gunshot and as soon as I had managed to get back to him Diablo was nowhere to be seen and DJ was covered in blood. “NO!!!” I hollered on the top of my lungs as I knelt down beside him and hoisted him up inside my arms.

“Come on, we have to get you to the hospital.” I told him while he looked up at me and struggled to breathe.

“No Mickey, it’s too late. I did what I came here to do, and if I had to lay my life down for a friend,.. I’m glad it was you. Cause you’re the best friend I ever had, and you know I only speak the truth.” He replied as he smiled at me through the tears that were now streaming down his cheeks. “It is finished.” He said and with a turn of his head one last tear rolled down his cheek and he breathed his last.

I started to sob harder than I ever had in my life as I just held him for a few moments and then his body faded into a shimmering golden dust before it extended through the ceiling and into the heavens before I could even burry him properly.

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

A clouded outline shaped figure of an enormous head and a pair of arms appeared in the bright blue sky and heaved a sad sigh. “So,.. your mission was completed.” Jesus began while looking over at it. “Or,.. was it?” He questioned.

“It was.” It began in a deep mighty voice. “My mission was to get Mick to believe in himself again and save him and his friends from Satan. That has been completed.”

“Okay, so maybe you’re right.” Jesus began. “Your first mission was completed,.. but your second mission hasn’t even started yet. Mick and his family need you.” He told Him.

“And I will always be there for them just like I promised.” He replied.

“Let me rephrase that,..” Jesus began. “They need DJ. DJ is what keeps them happy and they found a friend and a father in him. Not to mention the fact that all of DJ’s fans need him as well.” Jesus told Him.

“I don’t belong there though, I never was meant to belong there.” He replied.

“That maybe how it started, but that’s not how it wound up. Hope and I will be just fine managing things on our own and it’s like you always say,.. you can be everywhere and anywhere at exactly the same time.” Jesus began with a grin. “Besides,.. you still have a mission to complete.”

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

Once I got home, I explained to my mother what happened and even though she wasn’t the happiest woman alive she still hugged me tightly and kissed me as she scolded me because she was just relieved that I was alright. I couldn’t stop thinking about DJ though and what all he had done for me and the sacrifice he had made for me. I would never forget him. I already knew for a fact that I would never have a friend like him again.

Last chapter as I thought there was one more to go but I guess not.

Chapter Twenty: A Fresh Start

Well after winning the Dueling Bands competition Shock Therapy won a recording contract and earned its right for its first world tour. Mom only let me go if I promised that I would keep up on my homework. At first, I didn’t want to, because it didn’t feel right doing it without DJ. Then I realized that going on is exactly what he would have wanted me to do.

Before I knew it all four of us were on an airplane and headed to New York City. The opening night of our world tour it seems like we were all feeling the pressure, but the person the most stressed about it was Caleb and he refused to come out of his dressing room. Josh and I waited as Logan came out and simply just shook his head while slowly closing the door behind him.

“Well?” I questioned him with uncertainty.

“He’s not coming out.” He replied while we could hear the crowd chanting our band name in the background and I let out a great big breath of exasperation.

“Let me talk to him!” I cried before I quickly turned the doorknob and headed inside. “Caleb get your ass out here the band needs you.” I told him while shutting the door behind me and that’s when suddenly he turned his head over and looked at me.

“I don’t know man I saw the line-up and the last song we’re playing is Free Bird. We’ve never done that song without DJ.” He pointed out.

“Well we’re going to have to do it without DJ because DJ isn’t here.” I told him.

“He’s the only one who can slay that guitar solo though. None of us are that good.” He told me.

“Let me tell you something Caleb, we might not have the exact same talent that DJ had,.. but we still have him with us in here.” I began while placing my hand over my heart. “The only thing that he did for us was show us that we had power in us all along, but the only way we can truly receive that power is if we believe in ourselves like he believed and still believes in us.

The only way he is truly ever gone is if we forget about him and stop believing in him.” I told him before there came a few moments pause of silence. And I’m not going to let that happen.” I finished when suddenly Josh entered the room.

“Me neither.” He replied and a few moments later Logan entered the room behind him.

“Me neither.” He responded. “I say we get out there and kick some ass for DJ.” He said as we all silently nodded in agreement and I extended my hand.

“For DJ.” I said as the other three started putting their hands on top of mine.

“For DJ!!!” We all shouted together and then we all hurried out onto the stage in front of all of our screaming and cheering fans.

“Ladies and gentlemen we are Shock Therapy.” I said into the headset and then we started playing some of our new songs like Poison and The Way. We also did some cover songs until we finally made it to our last song.

“I want to thank you guys for coming out tonight and I want to dedicate this song to a really good buddy of mine who couldn’t be here with us tonight David James. For this was his favorite song and nobody could ever perform it quite like he could. Love and miss you buddy.” I said and then we had started to perform the introduction to Free Bird and things were running a lot smoother than we had expected.

Caleb and I both took a deep breath as it was time for him to start doing DJ’s part in the guitar solo, but before he could strum a note that’s when we heard it. The noise in the crowd began to grow so loud that all of the angels up in Heaven itself could probably hear it. For it wasn’t Caleb that had started the solo. I slowly turned around to see DJ standing there wearing his G bling necklace and Rock God jacket and my eyes along with everybody else’s nearly popped out of their sockets while our mouths gaped open.

“You didn’t think that you would be able to finish this song without me did ya!?” DJ cried out as a rather wide grin stretched a crossed his face and he started rocking out with Caleb. At the end of the song he skidded a crossed the floor on his knees with his guitar in-between his legs and let out one last powerful strumming note on his guitar and the crowd got onto their feet and erupted into even more cheers and applause.

“Ladies and gentlemen our own David,.. Goliath,.. James!!!!” Josh exclaimed excitedly while clapping for him himself. “AKA,..” he began.

“The rock God!!!!” The whole entire room shouted together and then I quickly ran over to DJ as he stood up and embraced him tightly.

“You came back.” I began before breaking the embrace and looking at him through the tears in my eyes and he just simply smiled at me and brushed them away with his thumb.

“Of course I came back. I have a whole new mission to complete and involves being a part of your family. That is,.. if you’ll have me.” He replied with a grin.

“Darn right.” I told him before hugging him again and he let out a chuckle as he hugged me back and patted my shoulders.

“That’s my boy.” He told me as my mom ran out onto the stage carrying Hannah and that’s when we broke the embrace and he turned over to look at her.

“See baby girl? I told you that you would have a new father by the end of the week.” He told her with a grin and a wink and she smiled back at him.

“Alright, I say we get a group shot.” My mom began while she took out her phone and DJ and I both smiled really big along with everybody else as we huddled together, and she snapped the picture that went right up on the wall next to the picture with me and my dad. It was a fresh start to a new life for all of us.

THE END

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

That’s when suddenly DJ appeared into view. “Or is it?” He questioned with a grin before pointing at himself and then out into thin air. “That’s for me to know and you to find out.” He said with a wink as he lifted his sunglasses. “Later dudes!” He exclaimed and within a snap of his fingers he disappeared.

Forum List

Back