Robertson's Marital Advice: Divorce Your Wife With Alzheimers

Synthaholic

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2010
I am a God on this message board.

On the same "700 Club" program today in which Pat Robertson said that Jews must convert to Christianity in order to enter Heaven, he also took on a question from a woman who was friends with a man whose wife is suffering from Alzheimer's Disease and has begun to date another woman and wanted to know what to do.

Robertson's advice was to encourage the husband to divorce his wife with Alzheimer's because she was, for all intents and purposes, already dead. Co-host Terry Meeuwsen understandably wondered if that would not violate the "til death do you part" provision of the wedding vow, which Robertson just pretty much dismissed, saying "he certainly wouldn't put a guilt trip" on anyone who decided that divorce was the answer:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qt_JCnRdCQ&feature=player_embedded"]Robertson: Divorce Your Wife With Alzheimers - YouTube[/ame]

The Bible says remarrying is automatically adultery.

Luke 16:15-18,Luke 17:1-4 KJV - And he said unto them Ye are they which - Bible Gateway

18Whosoever putteth away his wife, and marrieth another, committeth adultery: and whosoever marrieth her that is put away from her husband committeth adultery.

Whenever my grandparents had the 700 Club on when i was a kid I always thought it was boring, I was crazy, Robertson is great entertainment.

On the same "700 Club" program today in which Pat Robertson said that Jews must convert to Christianity in order to enter Heaven, he also took on a question from a woman who was friends with a man whose wife is suffering from Alzheimer's Disease and has begun to date another woman and wanted to know what to do.

Robertson's advice was to encourage the husband to divorce his wife with Alzheimer's because she was, for all intents and purposes, already dead. Co-host Terry Meeuwsen understandably wondered if that would not violate the "til death do you part" provision of the wedding vow, which Robertson just pretty much dismissed, saying "he certainly wouldn't put a guilt trip" on anyone who decided that divorce was the answer:

Robertson: Divorce Your Wife With Alzheimers - YouTube
Come on! What did you expect? He's a "family values" "sanctity of marriage" CON$ervative Republican!

Uncle Ferd says, "Yea, it's sad but...

... dey's half nuts to begin with...

... an' den when dey go plumb goofy...

... dey ain't much use to ya anyways."
:eusa_eh:

Remember that Pat Robertson is a founder of "The Moral Majority".
Remember their merging with the Republican party?

It's the right wing Christian thing to do.

If you want to know how Christians feel about this you should try reading what they say. The comments on the story in Christianity Today are telling.

Pat Robertson Says Divorce Okay if Spouse has Alzheimer's | Liveblog | Christianity Today

That said, what Robertson said is he would not condemn the man, and that he should ask someone else. I think he was wrong to cop out, but he does have the right to say he will not answer a question if he feels he cannot give a sound answer.

If you want to know how Christians feel about this you should try reading what they say. The comments on the story in Christianity Today are telling.

Pat Robertson Says Divorce Okay if Spouse has Alzheimer's | Liveblog | Christianity Today

That said, what Robertson said is he would not condemn the man, and that he should ask someone else. I think he was wrong to cop out, but he does have the right to say he will not answer a question if he feels he cannot give a sound answer.
I would like to see the comment section after he blamed 9/11 on Gays.

I'd bet that they weren't condemning him for his "cruel" words.

I would like to see the comment section after he blamed 9/11 on Gays.

I'd bet that they weren't condemning him for his "cruel" words.

First, It was Falwell, not Robertson. Robertson just agreed, proving his brain didn't work then either. Second, he did not blame gays, he blamed liberal America, of which gays are a part. Third, if someone believes God is active in human lives they have to be able to explain why bad things happen. Christians have been thinking about that for centuries, and, so far, no one has come up with an answer that satisfies everyone. Personally, I like the one Jesus gave.

There were present at that season some that told him of the Galilaeans, whose blood Pilate had mingled with their sacrifices. And Jesus answering said unto them, Suppose ye that these Galilaeans were sinners above all the Galilaeans, because they suffered such things? I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish. Or those eighteen, upon whom the tower in Siloam fell, and slew them, think ye that they were sinners above all men that dwelt in Jerusalem? I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish. -Luke 13:1-5 KJV
It is not the fault of Liberal America that 9/11 happened, but it does serve as a reminder to us all that we are human, and to those of who believe it serves as a reminder that we are all sinners.

I have no idea what the comments were when CT reported what Falwell said, but I am positive that no one that actually understands how God works blames anyone but themselves for the problems in the world. Judging Christians by Falwell and Robertson is as stupid as stupid gets. The 700 club has been bleeding members for years, and that is not happening because there are fewer Christians than their used to be. Just because they are idiots does not mean we all are.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back