Rivian??

Canon Shooter

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2020
Saw this truck on the road the other day. It's made by a company called Rivian. They make all electric "adventure vehicles". This is the R1T, starting at $67,000:

287904527_989347408302098_5155399085843866788_n.jpg

288006411_546910333775206_436605291003406171_n.jpg

288935124_546050470556146_7957987394415426485_n.jpg

It's said to go 0-60 in 3 seconds flat.

From what I can tell, these have only recently been getting delivered. The license plate on this one was some sort of "test vehicle" plate, which did not appear to be issued by the state of Florida.

In November of last year Rivian became a public company through an IPO. 153 million shares were sold at an initial offering price of $78.00, valuing the company at $66.5 billion. The shares began trading on the Nasdaq under the ticker "RIVN." On its first trading day, the stock closed at $100.73 per share, valuing the company just under $100 billion.

The stock price today sits at right around $29.

Has anyone seen one of these on the road yet?

Saw this truck on the road the other day. It's made by a company called Rivian. They make all electric "adventure vehicles". This is the R1T, starting at $67,000:

View attachment 662667
View attachment 662668
View attachment 662669

From what I can tell, these have only recently been getting delivered. The license plate on this one was some sort of "test vehicle" plate, which did not appear to be issued by the state of Florida.

In November of last year Rivian became a public company through an IPO. 153 million shares were sold at an initial offering price of $78.00, valuing the company at $66.5 billion. The shares began trading on the Nasdaq under the ticker "RIVN." On its first trading day, the stock closed at $100.73 per share, valuing the company just under $100 billion.

Look at the front. It's butt ugly styling.

I have seen an Amazon delivery van in my area [NW Ark] that was a Rivian.
Personally, I like the styling more than Tesla's example of what they think a pickup should look like.
But in the end, I have bought two new ICE vehicles [2021 MX-5 just celebrating its one year anniversary and a 2022 Honda CR-V a few weeks ago] in the past year and have no interest in an EV. They just can't do the things that I feel are important
Can you drive across country in an EV without having to plot your route according to super chargers available?
Can you carve some corners with in a group of like minded sports car drivers?
Example

Could you plan 1,000 mile days? We are planning another 4,000 mile road trip and the first day will be 1,000 miles - not a problem in a vehicle that can fill up the tank with stations every 10 miles or so in 10 minutes or less. OK, usually takes 4 minutes to fill up but more time to empty her tank.
850 miles in a day with a MX-5

900+ miles in a Honda CR-V [the old one]

I don't have an issue with an EV but they have their limits
One of my newest favorite videos

View attachment 662667
View attachment 662668
View attachment 662669

if that truck was a person .

1656291307552.png

Here is a video comparing a Rivian to a Ford F-150. Both vehicles are pulling a trailer at just under 7,500lbs. They are comparing the cost, etc.

Last edited:

View attachment 662667
View attachment 662668
View attachment 662669

There is something particularly stupid, at least under extant technology or under technology that can be anticipated for the foreseeable future, about making an all-electric vehicle that is supposed to be a serious off-road vehicle.

The limitations are great enough on an EV that is meant to keep to the roads, and stay within reasonable distances of towns, cities, and other civilization.

The point of an off-road-vehicle is to be able to go away from civilization, away from roads and towns and cities and infrastructure.

With an internal-combustion-engined vehicle, you can strap on some external gas cans to increase your safe range. If you do run out of fuel, and you can communicate with someone back in civilization, you can get someone to bring you more fuel.

With an EV, if your batteries are dead, and you're a long way from civilization, you're fucked.

There is something particularly stupid, at least under extant technology or under technology that can be anticipated for the foreseeable future, about making an all-electric vehicle that is supposed to be a serious off-road vehicle.

The limitations are great enough on an EV that is meant to keep to the roads, and stay within reasonable distances of towns, cities, and other civilization.

The point of an off-road-vehicle is to be able to go away from civilization, away from roads and towns and cities and infrastructure.

With an internal-combustion-engined vehicle, you can strap on some external gas cans to increase your safe range. If you do run out of fuel, and you can communicate with someone back in civilization, you can get someone to bring you more fuel.

With an EV, if your batteries are dead, and you're a long way from civilization, you're fucked.
if they really cared about emissions they would allow golf carts in downtown NYC and other major metros ... cant allow them on hwys but city streets ...why not ?

Look at the front. It's butt ugly styling.

Yeah, I didn't see the front on the one I saw on the road. Honestly, the mighty 4-cylinder Malibu couldn't keep up with it.

It's not a handsome truck...

Here is a video comparing a Rivian to a Ford F-150. Both vehicles are pulling a trailer at just under 7,500lbs. They are comparing the cost, etc.

The guy seems to really like the truck, although it doesn't seem to be that big a difference when it comes to the cost to drive it...

I know multiple people who work at their plant in Normal. The truck is amazing, it's fast, and it can do some pretty cool stuff off-road, including fording thru water.

I just got my media packet for Mecum in Orlando next week, so I checked their website to see the lots.

And what's there?

Rivian R1T

In the past week, I've seen four R1T's on the road. I had only seen one previously since they started building them. It is a beautiful vehicle, but like all the other badass EV's, it is cost prohibitive.

Forum List

Back