Rittenhouse sues Joy Behar and Whoopi Goldberg

Rittenhouse sues Joy Behar and Whoopi Goldberg​

Sunday at 10:49 AM

Fact check: False claim that Kyle Rittenhouse, lawyers sued 2 hosts of 'The View'

Chiara Vercellone, USA TODAY
Tue, November 30, 2021, 9:29 PM·3 min read

The claim: Kyle Rittenhouse filed $60M defamation suit against Whoopi Goldberg, Joy Behar​

After Kyle Rittenhouse was acquitted of all charges in the killing of two people during a 2020 protest in Kenosha, Wisconsin, misinformation has continued to spread across social media.

This time it's a claim that Rittenhouse is headed back to court – but as a plaintiff, not a defendant.

"Rittenhouses (sic) File $60M Defamation Suit Against Joy Behar and Whoopi Goldgerg (sic)," reads text posted on Facebook Nov. 27 and since deleted.

The post was shared about 400 times in two days, but other versions have accrued thousands of shares within one day.

Several users in the comments celebrated the purported lawsuit.

"I know, isn't it wonderful," one user wrote.

"So great. Hope he gets every dime," another one commented.

But the story is not real, according to Rittenhouse's spokesperson. The narrative originated on a satire website, although it's being shared without that disclaimer.

USA TODAY reached out to the poster for comment.

Claim started on satire website

Facebook is not the only place where the story has caught people's attention. The claim also gained traction on Twitter, where one post was retweeted more than 1,400 times as of Nov. 29.

Mark Richards, Rittenhouse's lead defense attorney during the trial, told USA TODAY in an email there hasn't been any legal action filed on behalf of Rittenhouse.

The family's spokesperson, David Hancock, also told the Associated Press the claim was false.

Fact check: False claim that Kyle Rittenhouse, lawyers sued 2 hosts of 'The View'

stupid dumbfucks like yerself are too damn lazy to find whether something is fake news or fact b4 spewing rw pablum.

better luck next time!

:auiqs.jpg:
:itsok:

The claim: Kyle Rittenhouse filed $60M defamation suit against Whoopi Goldberg, Joy Behar​

After Kyle Rittenhouse was acquitted of all charges in the killing of two people during a 2020 protest in Kenosha, Wisconsin, misinformation has continued to spread across social media.

This time it's a claim that Rittenhouse is headed back to court – but as a plaintiff, not a defendant.

"Rittenhouses (sic) File $60M Defamation Suit Against Joy Behar and Whoopi Goldgerg (sic)," reads text posted on Facebook Nov. 27 and since deleted.

The post was shared about 400 times in two days, but other versions have accrued thousands of shares within one day.

But the story is not real, according to Rittenhouse's spokesperson. The narrative originated on a satire website, although it's being shared without that disclaimer.

Facebook is not the only place where the story has caught people's attention. The claim also gained traction on Twitter, where one post was retweeted more than 1,400 times as of Nov. 29.

Mark Richards, Rittenhouse's lead defense attorney during the trial, told USA TODAY in an email there hasn't been any legal action filed on behalf of Rittenhouse.

The family's spokesperson, David Hancock, also told the Associated Press the claim was false.

stupid dumbfucks like yerself are too damn lazy to find whether something is fake news or fact b4 spewing rw pablum.

better luck next time!

I ran across another source last week that falsified the story. I wasn't surprised as Behar and Goldberg struck me as odd targets given what they actually said as compared to significantly more blatantly false statements reported as facts, not mere opinion.

I ran across another source last week that falsified the story. I wasn't surprised as Behar and Goldberg struck me as odd targets given what they actually said as compared to significantly more blatantly false statements reported as facts, not mere opinion.

facebo-er - i mean meta, nor twitter should never be considered factual news sources - & how anybody relies on them for their news are just the type of poorly educated dumbfucks donny loves long time.

facebo-er - i mean meta, nor twitter should never be considered factual news sources - & how anybody relies on them for their news are just the type of poorly educated dumbfucks donny loves long time.
True. Good job. It got me at first too, but then I looked into it a few days later for reasons stated above. But I didn't post my findings as I assumed that surely someone else had done so by then.

better luck next time!

Yeah lefter, the suits will come. Difference in me and filth like you is that when I find out something I posted is not true, I tell people, you filth never do.

Yeah lefter, the suits will come. Difference in me and filth like you is that when I find out something I posted is not true, I tell people, you filth never do.
I don't know why you're laughing at my post. I simply assumed it had been corrected. That's hardly a big deal. I'm not a lefty.

better luck next time!

Yup, this entire thread is fake news built upon the OP's gullibility and mental laziness.

Will be laughed out of court without as much as a hearing.

What will happen is Rittenhouse being sued for wrongful death, and those families have a solid case.
Whose death was the most wrongful? They guy that threatened to kill him, then tried to take his rifle away, or the guy who tried to brain him with the skateboard?

Yeah lefter, the suits will come.

sure, sure...

Difference in me and filth like you is that when I find out something I posted is not true, I tell people, you filth never do.

'cept, YOU DIDN'T, little froo froo, did you? did YOU post that this here fake news article is FAKE? why nooooooooo..... no you did not.

I DID.

& YOU'RE WELCOME for the truth coming out despite you wanting it to stay in the closet.

lol ... yer welcome.

He didn't offer any medical assistance to the men he killed or a tournquet to the man who's arm he blew off.

He didn't even have enough sense to obey the curfew.
Keep swinging blindly, you might land on something eventually. ROTFLMBO.

I'm not sure if I approve or if I am trying to figure out the $60M worth of damage done. I can imagine, say $10M and settle for $5M. Maybe this is a case of "go really high and hope they overpay"?

The abuses against people with strong, false allegations is not right, but, you have to have some degree of liberty with your speech, no? It's a talk show, not a news network.

That $60m figure is largely punitive damages. They aren't compensatory per se, but rather, exemplary, intended to punish and deter.

Forum List

Back