Rishi Sunak vows to end low-earning degrees in post-16 education shake-up

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras

I really do despair about the future of Britain.
Sunak is a candidate to be prime minister and this nonsense is an indication of the barbarity at the heart of conservatism.

To see education in purely financial terms is an act of an imbecile. Not everybody can be a hedge fubd maager or a top city lawyer but there is value in other fields and many things studied are worth studying for their own merits and the value that it brings society.

How do you balance the benefits in C16th French poetry against a degree in crypto ?
Whether Sunak believes this shit or is just trying to woo the many philistines in the tory membership is a moot point.

But the sooner this is over the better.

I don't think the government should really be involved in what colleges teach.

However, Mr. Sunak has a good point or two here.

Guys who get degrees in useful fields like industrial engineering and periodontics tend to deal better with their college debts as opposed to poets and historians.

People are just willing to pay more to have someone treat their bleeding gums than they are to listen to poetry.

Guys who get degrees in useful fields like industrial engineering and periodontics tend to deal better with their college debts as opposed to poets and historians.

People are just willing to pay more to have someone treat their bleeding gums than they are to listen to poetry.
But surely there is room for both ? otherwise we would eventually revert to being savages.

But surely there is room for both ? otherwise we would eventually revert to being savages.

There is indeed.

But I wouldn't loan someone big bucks to study poetry, unless they offered good collateral and co-signers to guarantee the note.

And that's what America should do with its student loan programs. Evaluate the borrowers ability to repay when setting up the conditions for offering the loans on an individual basis.

I really do despair about the future of Britain.
Sunak is a candidate to be prime minister and this nonsense is an indication of the barbarity at the heart of conservatism.

To see education in purely financial terms is an act of an imbecile. Not everybody can be a hedge fubd maager or a top city lawyer but there is value in other fields and many things studied are worth studying for their own merits and the value that it brings society.

How do you balance the benefits in C16th French poetry against a degree in crypto ?
Whether Sunak believes this shit or is just trying to woo the many philistines in the tory membership is a moot point.

But the sooner this is over the better.
Rishi Sunak has vowed to phase out university degrees that do not improve students’ “earning potential”, create a Russell Group of world-class technical colleges and introduce a British baccalaureate that would prevent 16-year-olds from dropping maths and English.

Yeah, other than the one marked in red above, all of his other proposals seem reasonable. Who can object to creating good tech colleges or ensuring kids take English and math? But of course, as a politician, he had to go overboard.

Rishi Sunak has vowed to phase out university degrees that do not improve students’ “earning potential”, create a Russell Group of world-class technical colleges and introduce a British baccalaureate that would prevent 16-year-olds from dropping maths and English.

Yeah, other than the one marked in red above, all of his other proposals seem reasonable. Who can object to creating good tech colleges or ensuring kids take English and math? But of course, as a politician, he had to go overboard.
It would be great if they werent cutting the budgets of the schools and colleges. He has no intention of doing any of that.After 12 years of the toies our education ystem is trashed.

There is indeed.

But I wouldn't loan someone big bucks to study poetry, unless they offered good collateral and co-signers to guarantee the note.

And that's what America should do with its student loan programs. Evaluate the borrowers ability to repay when setting up the conditions for offering the loans on an individual basis.
Preparation Is the Most Important Part of Production. Invest in Talent, Not Sacrifice.

All these proposals from the trustfundie ruling class will fail. College must be replaced with highly paid professional training. It is not a choice; students must be chosen and given a signing bonus by businesses that need their talent to be developed in specific areas.

Yes, collage debt which people in England must pay was what I guessed this was all about. It depends on what education is seen as being about. In Scotland no one pays for Higher Education because it is seen as a right. There is a belief among many that if you can do what you really enjoy and make a living, do it. If not do what can make the most money. From what people are saying, Sunak only believes in making money possibly because England is making their people pay student loans instead of getting on with their lives and hence losing the intellectual input of those whose is creativity. It would be a great loss to civilisation. Best thing, do not make people take on loans for something the country itself gains an enormous amount from. The education of their people based on merit not the bank accounts of their parents,

At the same time there are some courses which are just set up to make the college a bob or two for people who do not necessarily have all that much to put in. They are misusing the people giving them debt for all their adult life and could be let go of.

Forum List

Back