Richmond's Robert E. Lee statue to be removed on Wednesday

The Purge

Platinum Member
Aug 16, 2018
The Hill ^ | Sep 7 | BY NATALIE PRIEB

Richmond's statue of Gen. Robert E. Lee — the largest remaining Confederate statue in the country and a divisive symbol in a city where a number of similar statues have already been removed — will be taken down Wednesday.

"Virginia’s largest monument to the Confederate insurrection will come down this week,” Gov. Ralph Northam (D) said in a statement. “This is an important step in showing who we are and what we value as a Commonwealth.”

On Tuesday evening, crews will install protective fencing along Monument and Allen avenues, where the statue is located, to restrict cars and pedestrians, The Washington Post reported. After the statue is removed Wednesday, it will be kept at a state-owned facility.

Northam first announced plans to remove the statue in June 2020, after nationwide protests following the murder of George Floyd ramped up longstanding pressure to take down the statue.

The removal was delayed for more than a year due to two lawsuits, one filed by a group of Richmond residents and the other filed by a descendant of the family who gave the statue to Virginia.

Both complaints asserted that Northam did not have the authority to remove the statue because Virginia is restricted by language in the statue's 1889 deed. A judge ruled in the state's favor in October, but the statue remained as the plaintiffs appealed the ruling to the state's Supreme Court.

The Virginia Supreme Court earlier this month ruled that the statue could come down.

“As we continue our work to address systemic racism in our society, bringing this statue down will be an important step in the ongoing process of making Virginia a more open, welcoming, fair, and just place for everyone,” state Attorney General Mark Herring (D) said following the Virginia Supreme Court's ruling.

The public can watch the removal of the statue through a Facebook livestream and on Northam's Twitter handle, @GovernorVA, according to the Post.

----------

it’s silly to hate the South in 2021. Didn’t you go to Six Flags as a kid?
The people who suffered through it didn’t hold near that bitterness. Starting with US Grant who was kind, respectful and magnanimous to Lee at Appomattox. And continuing with Lee when he headed a college afterwards. He worked tirelessly for healing and to discourage a “rise again” mentality.

----------

August 9, 1960
Dear Dr. Scott:

Respecting your August 1 inquiry calling attention to my often expressed admiration for General Robert E. Lee, I would say, first, that we need to understand that at the time of the War between the States the issue of secession had remained unresolved for more than 70 years. Men of probity, character, public standing and unquestioned loyalty, both North and South, had disagreed over this issue as a matter of principle from the day our Constitution was adopted.

General Robert E. Lee was, in my estimation, one of the supremely gifted men produced by our Nation. He believed unswervingly in the Constitutional validity of his cause which until 1865 was still an arguable question in America; he was a poised and inspiring leader, true to the high trust reposed in him by millions of his fellow citizens; he was thoughtful yet demanding of his officers and men, forbearing with captured enemies but ingenious, unrelenting and personally courageous in battle, and never disheartened by a reverse or obstacle. Through all his many trials, he remained selfless almost to a fault and unfailing in his faith in God. Taken altogether, he was noble as a leader and as a man, and unsullied as I read the pages of our history.

From deep conviction, I simply say this: a nation of men of Lee’s calibre would be unconquerable in spirit and soul. Indeed, to the degree that present-day American youth will strive to emulate his rare qualities, including his devotion to this land as revealed in his painstaking efforts to help heal the Nation’s wounds once the bitter struggle was over, we, in our own time of danger in a divided world, will be strengthened and our love of freedom sustained.

Such are the reasons that I proudly display the picture of this great American on my office wall.

Sincerely,

Dwight D. Eisenhower

Eisenhower-260x359.jpg

1631020793941.png

Summertime

1631021305601.png

Battybaw

1631021673490.png

The pillars of the community, single mothers

1631021492039.png

Juss kickin it

Possible replacements? There is going to be a big hole to fill in that park. Trying to think outside the box.

Last edited:
Does this remind anybody of what our idiot Moon Bats are doing in the US?

1631058192311.png

Forum List

Back