Review: Nomadland

Let them. They can and do go where they want. Good for them. They can die out there. The enablers the one who gives the derelicts a job and perpetuate parasitic lives are the real villians. I remember every person that "helped" us. Every one who gave my dad a job for a few weeks or a couple of months. The self satisfied women who gave us food. The do good families that gave us a place to stay. Even at my young age I knew to blame them and hate them for it. That life on the road should be painful.

And your situation was not the same as these people's.

YOu still have not given 1 good reason why living in a van or RV is sick and perverted, while doing the work while living in an apartment is somehow wholesome and good.

The people in the movie are not begging. They are working and supporting themselves. They help each other. They do not rely on gov't handouts.

Who hires people with no address? Who can't even get so much as a library card. I have no idea why you would justify such a lifestyle. If it is for yourself there is no complaint. So long as you drag no one into the pit with you. Especially children. Don't ever drag a child into the gutter.

One thing that occurred to me while watching this movie, was that while many groups throughout history and the world have been nomadic, they were groups, as in tribes or bands, rather than individuals.
The folks in the movie aren't bands of Native Americans, or even Gypsies....... they're doing this as individuals. They maybe meet up at events like the RTR, but for the most part, they're all rolling solo. They didn't show any convoys or groups of these folks traveling together at all, and that is a much more dangerous and lonely way to live.

Who hires people with no address? Who can't even get so much as a library card. I have no idea why you would justify such a lifestyle. If it is for yourself there is no complaint. So long as you drag no one into the pit with you. Especially children. Don't ever drag a child into the gutter.

Those people all have a mailing address. There are plenty of places that full time RVers use to handle their mail.

Which makes me wonder, is it just the van dwellers you hate so much? Or do you hate the retirees who sell their home and go full time in $200,000+ motorhomes too?

One thing that occurred to me while watching this movie, was that while many groups throughout history and the world have been nomadic, they were groups, as in tribes or bands, rather than individuals.
The folks in the movie aren't bands of Native Americans, or even Gypsies....... they're doing this as individuals. They maybe meet up at events like the RTR, but for the most part, they're all rolling solo. They didn't show any convoys or groups of these folks traveling together at all, and that is a much more dangerous and lonely way to live.

Granted, they are a loosely knit group. But I think they consider themselves family or tribe.

One thing that surprised me is that so many travel alone and yet they encounter very little crime, especially violent crime. Most do take steps to stay safe, but apparently it is not as dangerous as one would think.

Granted, they are a loosely knit group. But I think they consider themselves family or tribe.

One thing that surprised me is that so many travel alone and yet they encounter very little crime, especially violent crime. Most do take steps to stay safe, but apparently it is not as dangerous as one would think.
I do similar trips on my Harley solo, so I'm even more exposed and isolated than these folks, so I'm not knocking it, I was just struck by the difference of living a nomadic life alone rather than in a family or extended family group.

I do similar trips on my Harley solo, so I'm even more exposed and isolated than these folks, so I'm not knocking it, I was just struck by the difference of living a nomadic life alone rather than in a family or extended family group.

When we first bought our small camper, we watched a lot of YouTube videos. Bob Wells is one of my girlfriend's favorite. There are some who travel together, or meet up at various places. And a lot don't. But they all talk about seeing their friends on the road.

Plus, it is so easy to keep track of your tribe via cell and the internet. That would not have been possible with nomadic groups in the past.

Those people all have a mailing address. There are plenty of places that full time RVers use to handle their mail.

Which makes me wonder, is it just the van dwellers you hate so much? Or do you hate the retirees who sell their home and go full time in $200,000+ motorhomes too?
Whatever anyone wants to do they should do a long as they drag no one else along with them.
The life is evil. Whoever wants to live an evil life could do that. Should do that. I would not ever willingly go on the road again. If it were a mobile palace I would not willingly go on the road again
Why is it so important to you that I accept the unacceptable and unforgivable? Is there something wrong with you that you need this kind of control over someone you don't know?

Whatever anyone wants to do they should do a long as they drag no one else along with them.
The life is evil. Whoever wants to live an evil life could do that. Should do that. I would not ever willingly go on the road again. If it were a mobile palace I would not willingly go on the road again
Why is it so important to you that I accept the unacceptable and unforgivable? Is there something wrong with you that you need this kind of control over someone you don't know?

I don't care whether you accept it. Nor do I care if you ever go on the road. I have just been trying to understand why you think it is sick and perverted.

But you're right, your opinion doesn't matter.

i never understood the lure. I have heard all the reasons and perfect freedom and all that rot i don't buy it.

I don't care whether you accept it. Nor do I care if you ever go on the road. I have just been trying to understand why you think it is sick and perverted.

But you're right, your opinion doesn't matter.
I think it is sick and perverted because that is the life that I led. Personally. I know just how bad it is.

i never understood the lure. I have heard all the reasons and perfect freedom and all that rot i don't buy it.

Ok.

There are a lot of things I don't understand the allure of. Lots of things I don't buy. But I don't call them sick & perverted. I let other people live as they choose, as long as it doesn't hurt anyone.

Ok.

There are a lot of things I don't understand the allure of. Lots of things I don't buy. But I don't call them sick & perverted. I let other people live as they choose, as long as it doesn't hurt anyone.
It hurt me. That's enough.

I let other people live as they choose. Even if it is sick and perverted. I would not willingly engage in this kind if perversion.

Ok.

It hurt me. That's enough.

I let other people live as they choose. Even if it is sick and perverted. I would not willingly engage in this kind if perversion.
I'm really sorry to hear about the pain you suffered in childhood. I'd never advocate for raising a child in such circumstances.

So, I finally watched this tonight. Pretty amazing. And hard, for me, not to take really, really personally. The funny thing is, I've been following cheaprvliving.com (Bob Well's website) for over ten years. I had no idea he was featured prominently in the movie.

The only complaint I might have about the movie is that it focused almost exclusively on the lowest end of the nomad culture. And, granted, one of the most beautiful things about "van life" is that it offers real freedom to people with limited means. But there's a continuum of people who live that way, from the most basic van survivalists, to well-off retired couples living in fancy motorhomes. It's not always, or even usually, a lifestyle of destitute poverty.

Last edited:
So, I finally watched this tonight. Pretty amazing. And hard, for me, not to take really, really personally. The funny thing is, I've been following cheaprvliving.com (Bob Well's website) for over ten years. I had no idea he was featured prominently in the movie.

The only complaint I might have about the movie is that it focused almost exclusively on the lowest end of the nomad culture. And, granted, one of the most beautiful things about "van life" is that it offers real freedom to people with limited means. But there's a continuum of people who live that way, from the most basic van survivalists, to well-off retired couples living in fancy motorhomes. It's not always, or even usually, a lifestyle of destitute poverty.

Yes, there is a wide variety of lifestyles who are living full time in RVs that vary from old vans to premium class A motorhomes. In one video of Bob's he talks about that.

Real freedom. Freedom to do what? Is shitting in a bucket your idea of freedom? Being sick in the back of a van? How about just dying on the road.

Well off people still have their homes. They have somewhere to go. They are not homeless.

Real freedom. Freedom to do what? Is shitting in a bucket your idea of freedom? Being sick in the back of a van? How about just dying on the road.

Well off people still have their homes. They have somewhere to go. They are not homeless.
Not true. Some living in a high end motorhome are homeless. We are.

The movie, Nomadland glorifies a sick and perverted lifestyle.

No, it does not. I get that being homeless as a child was hard. But these people made the best of a bad situation. And in so doing, became more independent than most people.

They are not eating out of garbage cans to avoid paying for a meal. They work various jobs and save their money as best they can. By cutting out the cost of a home, they save enormous amounts. And they can go where they want to, when they want to.

It is not a sick lifestyle. And there is nothing perverted about it.

If that was a glorification...I can't imagine what an unvarnished look would be. Yikes! LOL

New Topics

Forum List

Back