Review Joe Biden's 2008 VP Debate Rhetoric

TheGreatGatsby

Gold Member
Mar 27, 2012
California
On the eve of the 2012 VP Debate, I have reviewed and highlighted Joe Biden's rhetoric during the 2008 VP Debate. To me, it seems that he largely did not live up to his rhetoric.

*Four basic criteria for any kind of “rescue plans” (bailouts)

1. Oversight (Secretary of treasury)
2. Focus on homeowners and folks on main street
3. Treat the taxpayers like investors
4. Make sure that the CEOs don't benefit

* "We cannot afford to hold up on providing for incentives for new jobs by an energy policy, creating new jobs."

* "No. Barack Obama nor I support redefining from a civil side what constitutes marriage. We do not support that. That is basically the decision to be able to be able to be left to faiths and people who practice their faiths the determination what you call it."

* "And, look, I agree with the governor. She imposed a windfall profits tax up there in Alaska. That's what Barack Obama and I want to do. We want to be able to do for all of you Americans, give you back $1,000 bucks, like she's been able to give back money to her folks back there."

* "No one in the United States Senate has been a better friend to Israel than Joe Biden. I would have never, ever joined this ticket were I not absolutely sure Barack Obama shared my passion."

* "I will place my record and Barack's record against John McCain's or anyone else in terms of fundamental accomplishments."

* "We will make significant change so, once again, we're the most respected nation in the world. That's what we're going to do."

* "We measure progress in America based on whether or not someone can pay their mortgage, whether or not they can send their kid to college."

* "The conventional wisdom, Governor Palin with you, is that your Achilles heel is that you lack experience."

* Claimed twice that he put 100,000 police on the streets

* "No one making less than $250,000 under Barack Obama's plan will see one single penny of their tax raised whether it's their capital gains tax, their income tax, investment tax, any tax. And 95 percent of the people in the United States of America making less than $150,000 will get a tax break."

* "95 percent of the small businesses in America, their owners make less than $250,000 a year. They would not get one single solitary penny increase in taxes, those small businesses."

* "We're not going to support the $300 billion tax cut that they have for corporate America and the very wealthy. We're not going to support another $4 billion tax cut for ExxonMobil."

* If Biden were made president (Obama died): "I would carry out Barack Obama's policy, his policies of reinstating the middle class, making sure they get a fair break, making sure they have access to affordable health insurance, making sure they get serious tax breaks, making sure we can help their children get to college, making sure there is an energy policy that leads us in the direction of not only toward independence and clean environment but an energy policy that creates 5 million new jobs."

* Re Climate Change: "We know what the cause is. The cause is manmade. That's the cause. That's why the polar icecap is melting."

* "Barack Obama believes by investing in clean coal and safe nuclear, we can not only create jobs in wind and solar here in the United States, we can export it."

* "Barack Obama, first thing he did when he came to the United States Senate, new senator, reached across the aisle to my colleague, Dick Lugar, a Republican, and said, We've got to do something about keeping nuclear weapons out of the hands of terrorists."

* "The wealthy have done very well. Corporate America has been rewarded. It's time we change it. Barack Obama will change it."

* "You're very kind suggesting my only Achilles Heel is my lack of discipline."

* "Look, folks, this is the most important election you've ever voted in your entire life. No one can deny that the last eight years, we've been dug into a very deep hole here at home with regard to our economy, and abroad in terms of our credibility. And there's a need for fundamental change in our economic philosophy, as well as our foreign policy."

* "He said, Joe, understand one thing. Everyone's sent here for a reason, because there's something in them that their folks like. Don't question their motive. I have never since that moment in my first year questioned the motive of another member of the Congress or Senate with whom I've disagreed. I've questioned their judgment.
I think that's why I have the respect I have and have been able to work as well as I've been able to have worked in the United States Senate. That's the fundamental change Barack Obama and I will be bring to this party, not questioning other people's motives."

* "Now, with regard to the -- to the health care plan, you know, it's with one hand you giveth, the other you take it. You know how Barack Obama -- excuse me, do you know how John McCain pays for his $5,000 tax credit you're going to get, a family will get?
He taxes as income every one of you out there, every one of you listening who has a health care plan through your employer. That's how he raises $3.6 trillion, on your -- taxing your health care benefit to give you a $5,000 plan, which his Web site points out will go straight to the insurance company.

And then you're going to have to replace a $12,000 -- that's the average cost of the plan you get through your employer -- it costs $12,000. You're going to have to pay -- replace a $12,000 plan, because 20 million of you are going to be dropped. Twenty million of you will be dropped.

So you're going to have to place -- replace a $12,000 plan with a $5,000 check you just give to the insurance company. I call that the "Ultimate Bridge to Nowhere."

"And, look, I agree with the governor. She imposed a windfall profits tax up there in Alaska. That's what Barack Obama and I want to do. We want to be able to do for all of you Americans, give you back $1,000 bucks, like she's been able to give back money to her folks back there."

Biden will say anything.

"I will place my record and Barack's record against John McCain's or anyone else in terms of fundamental accomplishments."

Great. We look forward to it!

“You cannot go to a 7-11 or a Dunkin’ Donuts unless you have a slight Indian accent…. I’m not joking.” –Joe Biden, in a private remark to an Indian-American man caught on C-SPAN, June, 2006

Oopsy Joe. Lol

Forum List

Back