Retirement in a Nursing Home???

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Not if you're capable of "Thinking Outside The Box"

1. Conservatives, today's Classical Liberals, see government as a necessary evil, of simply a benign but voluntary social contract for free men to enter into willingly,, and accept it as long as it is based on individualism, free markets, and limited constitutional government.

On the obverse, Modern Liberals, Progressives, see government as something worthy of worship. It is beneficent, and knows what is best for each and every member of the collective.

For example, government programs designed to 'warehouse the elderly.'

Today's story is one of those that proves how creative people can be, even without the command-and-control of big government.

2. "... my wife and I were on a cruise through the western Mediterranean aboard a Princess liner. At dinner we noticed an elderly lady sitting alone along the rail of the grand stairway in the main dining room.
I also noticed that all the staff, ships officers, waiters, busboys, etc., all seemed very familiar with this lady. I asked our waiter who the lady was, expecting to be told she owned the line, but he said he only knew that she had been on board for the last four cruises, back to back.

3. .... I caught her eye and stopped to say hello. We chatted and I said, "I understand you've been on this ship for the last four cruises." She replied, "Yes, that's true." I stated, "I don't understand" and she replied, without a pause, "It's cheaper than a nursing home."

4. ...get on a Princess Cruise Ship. The average cost for a nursing home is $200 per day.[Actually, less...http://www.princess.com/find/cruiseDetails.do]
I have checked on reservations at Princess and I can get a long term discount and senior discount price of $135 per day. That leaves $65 a day for: Gratuities which will only be $10 per day.

I will have as many as 10 meals a day (of fantastic food, not institutional food) if I can waddle to the restaurant, or I can have room service (which means I can have breakfast in bed every day of the week).

Princess has as many as three swimming pools, a workout room, free washers and dryers, and shows every night.

They have free toothpaste and razors, and free soap and shampoo.

They will even treat you like a customer, not a patient. An extra $5 worth of tips will have the entire staff scrambling to help you.

I will get to meet new people every 7 or 14 days!

TV broken? Light bulb need changing? Need to have the mattress replaced? No problem! They will fix everything and apologize for your inconvenience.

Clean sheets and towels every day, and you don't even have to ask for them.

If you fall in the nursing home and break a hip you are on Medicare; if you fall and break a hip on the Princess ship they will upgrade you to a suite for the rest of your life.

There is always a doctor on board.

Now hold on for the best!
Do you want to see South America, the Panama Canal, Tahiti, Australia, New Zealand, Asia, or name where you want to go? Princess will have a ship ready to go.
So don't look for me in a nursing home, just call shore to ship.
snopes.com Retirement Living on Cruise Ships

Last edited:
PC lives in a fantasy world so deep one wonders how she breathes the freedom government provides her and its citizens. Government is the only entity that guaranties the freedom to be an individual, or to have markets for without it there is no law and there is no refuge from the stupidity that brought us the great depression and the great recession, as well as slavery, lack of work rules, and unsafe working conditions and even unsafe food. Limited government is a nice euphemism for PC's government, she wants it only to control women and deny others their rights. She wants government to protect her, but she doesn't care if it allows others to live in poverty or without the things that make life worth living. PC is the typical narcissistic right winger whose limited government is limited by her imagination to control only, the public good be damned.

If you'd like to read about PC and her type check out, 'The Unconscious Civilization' John Ralston Saul, excellent read.

"The unity of Government, which constitutes you one people, is also now dear to you. It is justly so; for it is a main pillar in the edifice of your real independence, the support of your tranquillity at home, your peace abroad; of your safety; of your prosperity; of that very Liberty, which you so highly prize. But as it is easy to foresee, that, from different causes and from different quarters, much pains will be taken, many artifices employed, to weaken in your minds the conviction of this truth; as this is the point in your political fortress against which the batteries of internal and external enemies will be most constantly and actively (though often covertly and insidiously) directed, it is of infinite moment, that you should properly estimate the immense value of your national Union to your collective and individual happiness; that you should cherish a cordial, habitual, and immovable attachment to it; accustoming yourselves to think and speak of it as of the Palladium of your political safety and prosperity; watching for its preservation with jealous anxiety; discountenancing whatever may suggest even a suspicion, that it can in any event be abandoned; and indignantly frowning upon the first dawning of every attempt to alienate any portion of our country from the rest, or to enfeeble the sacred ties which now link together the various parts." Quote DB Speeches George Washington George Washington s Farewell Address Speech

PC lives in a fantasy world so deep one wonders how she breathes the freedom government provides her and its citizens. Government is the only entity that guaranties the freedom to be an individual, or to have markets for without it there is no law and there is no refuge from the stupidity that brought us the great depression and the great recession, as well as slavery, lack of work rules, and unsafe working conditions and even unsafe food. Limited government is a nice euphemism for PC's government, she wants it only to control women and deny others their rights. She wants government to protect her, but she doesn't care if it allows others to live in poverty or without the things that make life worth living. PC is the typical narcissistic right winger whose limited government is limited by her imagination to control only, the public good be damned.

If you'd like to read about PC and her type check out, 'The Unconscious Civilization' John Ralston Saul, excellent read.

"The unity of Government, which constitutes you one people, is also now dear to you. It is justly so; for it is a main pillar in the edifice of your real independence, the support of your tranquillity at home, your peace abroad; of your safety; of your prosperity; of that very Liberty, which you so highly prize. But as it is easy to foresee, that, from different causes and from different quarters, much pains will be taken, many artifices employed, to weaken in your minds the conviction of this truth; as this is the point in your political fortress against which the batteries of internal and external enemies will be most constantly and actively (though often covertly and insidiously) directed, it is of infinite moment, that you should properly estimate the immense value of your national Union to your collective and individual happiness; that you should cherish a cordial, habitual, and immovable attachment to it; accustoming yourselves to think and speak of it as of the Palladium of your political safety and prosperity; watching for its preservation with jealous anxiety; discountenancing whatever may suggest even a suspicion, that it can in any event be abandoned; and indignantly frowning upon the first dawning of every attempt to alienate any portion of our country from the rest, or to enfeeble the sacred ties which now link together the various parts." Quote DB Speeches George Washington George Washington s Farewell Address Speech

5. ".... [an earlier version]featured not a luxury liner but a hotel. In 2003 this waggish diatribe against the cost of nursing home care had its writer swearing to check into a Holiday Inn when the grey hairs became too many.

By 2004, some of the numbered items now found in the "cruise ship" tale were in place, albeit in a version that claimed

Holiday Inn rather than Princess as substitute elder care housing (e.g., "TV broken? Light bulb need changing? Need to have the mattress replaced? No problem! They will fix everything and apologize for your inconvenience").

By 2005 more numbered items had been added, including some cruise-specific ones (e.g., "There is always a doctor on board" and "And don't forget, when you die, they just dump you over the side at no charge").

Also by 2005, what had begun as one writer's claim about his or her fanciful future plans had come to be presented as the actual remarks of an old woman living that life on a cruise ship. It is at this intersection that folklore and reality: while the account of the "elderly lady" has clearly evolved from earlier pieces about pie-in-the-sky retirement plans involving Holiday Inn, some people of advanced years have indeed made their homes on cruise ships.

The Snopes article rates the story as essentially correct.

On a cruise - Who changes her diapers, manually feeds her bite by bite, and carts her around...changes her clothing, bathes her....puts her to bed, gets her out of bed.......... when she can no longer do so on her own?

On a cruise - Who changes her diapers, manually feeds her bite by bite, and carts her around...changes her clothing, bathes her....puts her to bed, gets her out of bed.......... when she can no longer do so on her own?

We aren't really talking about nursing home type care.
The example used was cost of nursing home vs. Cost of cruise.

Surely there's a surcharge for cleaning someones shitty underpants that's not factored in here.

Surely there's a surcharge for cleaning someones shitty underpants that's not factored in here.

Like I said,we aren't really talking about nursing home care.
This is more like retirement living.
My mom is about ready for assisted living and the average cost in Texas is around 3500 a month.
When you start talking total care that price damn near doubles making it slightly over 200 a day.
I think this story has some errors in it.

Last edited:

I don't know why an old person still perfectly capable of caring for his/herself would leave their standard living situation for a higher expense like that. Usually, there's more to the picture than that.

I don't know why an old person still perfectly capable of caring for his/herself would leave their standard living situation for a higher expense like that. Usually, there's more to the picture than that.

The story I read in the paper the other day the women and her husband were big on cruises. Right before he passed away he told her to keep on cruising so she did.
To the tune of $164,000 a year.
Stop and think about it..the lady was around seventy. If she had a couple mill in the bank she'll have no problem keeping up that lifestyle until she's no longer able.

I mean do you really care about being in a fancy total care facility when you dont know your own name and you're wearing diapers? Fuck it!! I'm gonna have fun while I can still recognize myself when I look in the mirror.

My mom is about ready for assisted living and the average cost in Texas is around 3500 a month.
When you start talking total care that price damn near doubles making it slightly over 200 a day.

Not the same as the costs here in the Big Apple....

6. "Bea Muller, an 86-year-old retiree, took up residence on Cunard'sQueenElizabeth 2on5 January2000. Her husband had passed away while the couple was on a world cruise eleven months earlier, and rather than opt for a retirement home,Mrs. Mullersold her house and possessions and booked herself onto the ship.

Instead of submitting a monthly or yearly fee, in 2001 Muller was reported to be paying as she went, booking one cruise after another. Thanks to her frequent traveler discounts, her overall costs amounted to about $5,000 a month. (Cruise prices have increased since then, which is something those entertaining similar plans should
keep in mind. Also, Muller's accommodations were small and windowless: a10x10 footcabin that barely fits a bed, radio, and television, with a bathroom smaller than the average closet found in a typical home.)

Muller was happy with her life aboard a ship. "I've got full-time maid service, great dining rooms, doctors, medical center (where she volunteers), a spa, beauty salon, computer center, entertainment, cultural activities and, best of all, dancing and bridge." (Muller passed away in 2013, and theQueenElizabeth 2was retired from service in 2008.)

Cost of nursing home, New York, $130,670 per year, with increase of 4% per year.

Brooklyn, NY.....$146,000 and 5% increase per year.
Long Term Care Costs - Cost of Care Survey 2014 - Genworth

Not the same as the costs here in the Big Apple....

6. "Bea Muller, an 86-year-old retiree, took up residence on Cunard'sQueenElizabeth 2on5 January2000. Her husband had passed away while the couple was on a world cruise eleven months earlier, and rather than opt for a retirement home,Mrs. Mullersold her house and possessions and booked herself onto the ship.

Instead of submitting a monthly or yearly fee, in 2001 Muller was reported to be paying as she went, booking one cruise after another. Thanks to her frequent traveler discounts, her overall costs amounted to about $5,000 a month. (Cruise prices have increased since then, which is something those entertaining similar plans should
keep in mind. Also, Muller's accommodations were small and windowless: a10x10 footcabin that barely fits a bed, radio, and television, with a bathroom smaller than the average closet found in a typical home.)

Muller was happy with her life aboard a ship. "I've got full-time maid service, great dining rooms, doctors, medical center (where she volunteers), a spa, beauty salon, computer center, entertainment, cultural activities and, best of all, dancing and bridge." (Muller passed away in 2013, and theQueenElizabeth 2was retired from service in 2008.)

Cost of nursing home, New York, $130,670 per year, with increase of 4% per year.

Brooklyn, NY.....$146,000 and 5% increase per year.
Long Term Care Costs - Cost of Care Survey 2014 - Genworth

Sounds like we have some discrepancy in the cost but it appears to be the same lady.
Woman pays 164K per year to live on luxury cruise ship

Holy crap thats expensive!!! It'll run around $85000 a year when my mother gets to the point of needing constant care.
Remind me not to complain about the cost anymore...lol

NLT @ 75

old_guys_6.gif

New Topics

Forum List

Back