Retirees must love Biden

Several of my tenants can afford to buy their own home, it's just they don't want to.

Home ownership comes with responsibilities, something our government has been stripping away from Americans for a long time now. People who rent don't want to deal with a broken toilet, a clogged drain, replacing a hot water tank, doing yard work or clearing the drive from snow. They just want to put their briefcase into the closet at the end of the day, put their legs up, and relax in front of the big screen; let those other menial chores be the responsibility of somebody else. They don't want to haggle with prices, they don't want to get estimates, they just want to call one phone number (the landlord) and all their problems are solved.

My nephew went to college. Graduated with a Masters and was already working a job he stayed with after graduation. He's a brilliant guy, but I doubt if he even owns a screw driver. He couldn't adjust a toilet handle chain if his life counted on it or snake a kitchen drain. He is renting a townhouse for $1750.00 a month, easily a mortgage payment. But in spite of his education and income, he doesn't have the ability to fix things around his house. The rent he pays takes care of all his problems.

Sure sometime renting makes more sense, like if you are only going to be living in that city for less than a year.

But frankly, anyone who can't use a screwdriver or a snake, can't be very bright.
Knowledge is accumulative from all aspect in life.
If you really know abstractions, then you can't help but also either understand or want to know everything to a degree.
Dealing with a clogged drain or replacing a leaking hot water heater is so obvious and practical compared to giving your money away to a landlord, that he has to have something wrong with him.
It is not a question of knowing how, but that you get mortgage payments back, with interest, due to general real estate inflation.
Paying rent instead is just the dumbest thing anyone could ever do.
That is voluntarily buying the house and giving it to the landlord.

Sure sometime renting makes more sense, like if you are only going to be living in that city for less than a year.

But frankly, anyone who can't use a screwdriver or a snake, can't be very bright.
Knowledge is accumulative from all aspect in life.
If you really know abstractions, then you can't help but also either understand or want to know everything to a degree.
Dealing with a clogged drain or replacing a leaking hot water heater is so obvious and practical compared to giving your money away to a landlord, that he has to have something wrong with him.
It is not a question of knowing how, but that you get mortgage payments back, with interest, due to general real estate inflation.
Paying rent instead is just the dumbest thing anyone could ever do.
That is voluntarily buying the house and giving it to the landlord.

Most of the rent money people pay goes towards the maintenance and bills of a house anyway. There are certain things people simply have no talent or interest in. It's not idicative of stupidity, just the ability to do certain things.

Years ago I used to be a music teacher part-time. If a new student came in and all he wanted to do was talk sports, I knew this kid will never be a good guitarist. Oh, they tried. I could tell by which strings were not in tune, but they had little to no ability to become a musician. All I could do was my job and get them to be the best they could be which wasn't much. Most would quit in a few months because even they realized their inabilities.

It's like when leftists come here complaining about CEO's and their salary. They watch too many television movies and tell me that a CEO basically does nothing. My suggestion to them is if it's so easy, the solution to your problem is to become a CEO yourself! That usually ends the conversation.

I could have never gone to college. I'm a born blue-collar worker. Even if I could get a degree, I would be miserable doing whatever work it was. I have no idea how people can sit behind a desk shuffling papers around for a living. I have to do it several times a year and at tax time. I absolutely hate it. but it's part of my job as a landlord.

Its all relative..

I’m retired

Things like 401k and Real Estate are wealth
My 401k is down about $70k…..OUCH
My homes are up about $220k…..CHEERS

Pension and SS are income
My pension and SS went up $550 a month in Jan…..CHEERS
Gas, food, restaurants increases ate up most of that….OUCH

In total, I am slightly better off since January

Unless you plan a big downsize, and move into a much more modest home, it doesn't help that the value of your home has dramatically jumped, since you'll spend the profit you think you have purchasing the inflated replacement house.
In the meantime all's you'll get out of the skyrocketing home prices is a larger property tax bill.

You can try all you like, but no matter how you spin it, things suck much worse now than they did during the Trump years.

People who are retired have got to be pulling what's left of their hair out. Inflation alone is killing their incomes.

We got a 7% increase this year so it wasn't too bad, but inflation kept going up and now we're behind once again. If you planned on your your IRA, you are hesitant of using that as well because your money shrank and you don't want to take it out just now. Taking $5,000 out now may cost you over $15,000 down the road when it goes back up again, whenever that may be.

Most of the rent money people pay goes towards the maintenance and bills of a house anyway. There are certain things people simply have no talent or interest in. It's not idicative of stupidity, just the ability to do certain things.

Years ago I used to be a music teacher part-time. If a new student came in and all he wanted to do was talk sports, I knew this kid will never be a good guitarist. Oh, they tried. I could tell by which strings were not in tune, but they had little to no ability to become a musician. All I could do was my job and get them to be the best they could be which wasn't much. Most would quit in a few months because even they realized their inabilities.

It's like when leftists come here complaining about CEO's and their salary. They watch too many television movies and tell me that a CEO basically does nothing. My suggestion to them is if it's so easy, the solution to your problem is to become a CEO yourself! That usually ends the conversation.

I could have never gone to college. I'm a born blue-collar worker. Even if I could get a degree, I would be miserable doing whatever work it was. I have no idea how people can sit behind a desk shuffling papers around for a living. I have to do it several times a year and at tax time. I absolutely hate it. but it's part of my job as a landlord.

I disagree.
Not only does maintenance cost almost nothing for any of the other landlords I know, but I do it all myself.
It is very easy and anyone can do it. The hardest is the annoying swamp ccoler switch every 6 months.

Music is entirely different, not at all intuitive, and requires a number of artistic skills I do not have.

Leftists are right about CEOs not earning their salary.
Your suggestion they then do it instead is false because the point of being a CEO is not skill but money.
With enough money, anyone can easily be a CEO.
It is not hard, and most CEOs are actually quite bad at it.
But the whole point is most people do not have any money, and that is what makes a CEO.
Almost anyone with enough money can easily be a successful CEO.
All they have to do is know who to hire to do everything for them.

College degrees are not about shuffling papers.
Like Diane Fossey in Africa studying apes to learn more about humans.
I created computer programs that did art, music, videos, etc.
It can be very creative.

But being a landlord is easier, I help people by providing a service then need, and I don't over charge them.

Last edited:
We got a 7% increase this year so it wasn't too bad, but inflation kept going up and now we're behind once again. If you planned on your your IRA, you are hesitant of using that as well because your money shrank and you don't want to take it out just now. Taking $5,000 out now may cost you over $15,000 down the road when it goes back up again, whenever that may be.

I incorporated an LLC so I could do a self directed IRA, and then put it all into real estate, with none on the stock market.

• Record gas prices
  • Increased food costs
  • Stock market crashing (401Ks impacted)

Many live on a fixed income

Let's Go Brandon!

View attachment 647310
All because of Trump. We haven’t even been a budget yet under Biden. You’re still living under dufus gop tax cuts for the wealthy.

• Disagree
Reactions: DBA
I disagree.
Not only does maintenance cost almost nothing for any of the other landlords I know, but I do it all myself.
It is very easy and anyone can do it. The hardest is the annoying swamp ccoler switch every 6 months.

Music is entirely different, not at all intuitive, and requires a number of artistic skills I do not have.

Leftists are right about CEOs not earning their salary.
Your suggestion they then do it instead is false because the point of being a CEO is not skill but money.
With enough money, anyone can easily be a CEO.
It is not hard, and most CEOs are actually quite bad at it.
But the whole point is most people do not have any money, and that is what makes a CEO.
Almost anyone with enough money can easily be a successful CEO.
All they have to do is know who to hire to do everything for them.

College degrees are not about shuffling papers.
Like Diane Fossey in Africa studying apes to learn more about humans.
I created computer programs that did art, music, videos, etc.
It can be very creative.

But being a landlord is easier, I help people by providing a service then need, and I don't over charge them.

I don't care what the field, people have different aptitudes. Like I said I was a music teacher. Music was easy for me. What idiot can't do what I do? I'm a retired truck driver. I was very good at what I did but why can't others do it? They complain about not enough good paying jobs around and driving can pay into the six digits or high five digits. There are over 60,000 driving jobs industry can't find workers for. Obviously not everybody could do what I did. The same with being a landlord.

Being a CEO is not about money. WTF would hire somebody because they are wealthy? A company hires people to perform a job, and the higher paying jobs require a high education, a lot of experience, and a very successful record. If you hit the lottery today you can never be a CEO. Like entertainment, like sports, you are paid by how successful you've been at your profession. That's why some CEO's make low six digit salaries and others make millions a year.

I don't care what the field, people have different aptitudes. Like I said I was a music teacher. Music was easy for me. What idiot can't do what I do? I'm a retired truck driver. I was very good at what I did but why can't others do it? They complain about not enough good paying jobs around and driving can pay into the six digits or high five digits. There are over 60,000 driving jobs industry can't find workers for. Obviously not everybody could do what I did. The same with being a landlord.

Being a CEO is not about money. WTF would hire somebody because they are wealthy? A company hires people to perform a job, and the higher paying jobs require a high education, a lot of experience, and a very successful record. If you hit the lottery today you can never be a CEO. Like entertainment, like sports, you are paid by how successful you've been at your profession. That's why some CEO's make low six digit salaries and others make millions a year.

I disagree.
I have known many CEOs in my life, and not one of them was talented at all.
They succeeded by leveraging the capital they controlled.
The CEO is either the biggest investor, or picked by the biggest investor.
And the CEO does nothing but hire others.

Most of what CEOs do or say is just silly.
Take the most current examples, like electronic vehicles or self driving cars.
They make no sense at all.
Electronic vehicles require the extra steps of converting the chemical energy to electronic, storing it, and restoring it back to kinetic energy again. That not only is always going to be about 50% as efficient, but also require transporting around an additional half ton of batteries.
With self driving vehicles, even if the programmer has thought of 1000 possible scenarios, as soon as scenario 1001 happens that they did not program for, someone will die. There just is never going to be a way to make computers even a tiny fraction as good as humans, at something as visual and infinitely complex as driving.
So then why is there so much being spent on EVs and AVs? Because the marketing people are telling the CEOs of the consumer interest, without knowing or telling how impossible they are. If CEOs really were superior talent, they would easily have known this by now. Self confidence, to the point of arrogance, is the main trait of a successful CEO.

I disagree.

Electronic vehicles require the extra steps of converting the chemical energy to electronic, storing it, and restoring it back to kinetic energy again. That not only is always going to be about 50% as efficient, but also require transporting around an additional half ton of batteries.
With self driving vehicles, even if the programmer has thought of 1000 possible scenarios, as soon as scenario 1001 happens that they did not program for, someone will die. There just is never going to be a way to make computers even a tiny fraction as good as humans, at something a visual and infinitely complex as driving.
So then why is there so much being spent on EVs and AVs? Because the marketing people are telling the CEOs of the consumer interest, without knowing or telling how impossible they are. If CEOs really were superior talent, they would easily have known this by now. Self confidence, to the point of arrogance, is the main trait of a successful CEO.
Your post is spot for major financial firms.

The Biden market is expected to crash another 20% to 25% fool you seriously suck at math.

High real estate prices are not good.
It does not mean we are so affluent that we are willing to pay more for housing.
What it really means is that investment is so unwilling to invest in housing, that no one has been doing construction for the last 2 years, and there are severe shortages.
When something is killed for years like that, it is hard to start it back up again.
That means more homeless, rentals, crime, lack of wealth, etc.
It is a bad downward spiral for society as a whole.
The only people who do well are the slum landlords and bail bondsmen.

I disagree.

With self driving vehicles, even if the programmer has thought of 1000 possible scenarios, as soon as scenario 1001 happens that they did not program for, someone will die. There just is never going to be a way to make computers even a tiny fraction as good as humans, at something as visual and infinitely complex as driving.

Autonomous vehicles are in their model-T stages but will be a real thing when the bugs are worked out. Trucks? Not so much.

Autonomous vehicles are good for people who are too old or disabled to drive, people like my mother who lives alone and never had a drivers license in her life, people addicted to the bar scene that constantly drive while impaired or otherwise lost their license. On the down side it will take a lot of jobs like taxi cab drivers and people who work for Uber. The companies may still exist but they too will be using self-driving vehicles for their customers.

Autonomous vehicles are in their model-T stages but will be a real thing when the bugs are worked out. Trucks? Not so much.

Autonomous vehicles are good for people who are too old or disabled to drive, people like my mother who lives alone and never had a drivers license in her life, people addicted to the bar scene that constantly drive while impaired or otherwise lost their license. On the down side it will take a lot of jobs like taxi cab drivers and people who work for Uber. The companies may still exist but they too will be using self-driving vehicles for their customers.

I have had many careers, but my MS is in computer science, and I have been mostly doing AI sort of programming.
Computers are not at all like people.
Computers can't infer or imply, so need absolute perfect match programming for anything you want them to do.
And nothing in driving is ever a perfect match of some hard coded pattern.
So computers will never be successful at driving safely.
All you did was to suggest some marketing reasons why AVs would be nice.
That does not mean they are practical or even remotely possible.
I am saying I know for sure they are totally impractical.
To give you an example, to really examine one image, the fastest computers take at least 15 minutes or so, looking for patterns, comparing them with templates, etc.
Then imagine how many images need to be processed every second, when driving over 60 mph?
The actual number of how much fasters humans are at image processing vs a computer is about 100 million times faster.
So a computer driving is like a human driving by only opening his eyes for a fraction of a second, every 15 minutes.
How safe do you think that would be?

I have had many careers, but my MS is in computer science, and I have been mostly doing AI sort of programming.
Computers are not at all like people.
Computers can't infer or imply, so need absolute perfect match programming for anything you want them to do.
And nothing in driving is ever a perfect match of some hard coded pattern.
So computers will never be successful at driving safely.
All you did was to suggest some marketing reasons why AVs would be nice.
That does not mean they are practical or even remotely possible.
I am saying I know for sure they are totally impractical.
To give you an example, to really examine one image, the fastest computers take at least 15 minutes or so, looking for patterns, comparing them with templates, etc.
Then imagine how many images need to be processed every second, when driving over 60 mph?
The actual number of how much fasters humans are at image processing vs a computer is about 100 million times faster.
So a computer driving is like a human driving by only opening his eyes for a fraction of a second, every 15 minutes.
How safe do you think that would be?

I would agree with you computers will never be perfect. A few years ago I remember a story of an autonomous vehicle killing an Uber passenger and they were in the middle of a huge lawsuit. I don't know whatever happened to it as I did not follow the story. But let me ask: how many people die on the road today because of drunken drivers? How many die because a driver had a heart attack and lost control due to being unconscious and killed themselves and other people?

Human or technology, driving will never be 100% safe. For driving a car, the only thing you'd need are sensors, not photo imaging. Currently I'm in a debate with a blogger that's insisting truck drivers will be replaced by autonomous trucks. For that you'd need imaging and a lot more calculations, but not a car.

In the long run, even if it has faults, autonomous cars would be a huge advantage for many of us. I'm sick right now and don't know where I will end up with my condition, so I may not be able to drive in the near future. If available, I would buy a self-driving car because I don't want to rely on anybody to get around, and I don't want to pay companies to take me every place I'd like to go. As long as it's reasonably safe and my auto insurance will cover me, I'd buy one in a heartbeat once incapable of driving safely.

I would agree with you computers will never be perfect. A few years ago I remember a story of an autonomous vehicle killing an Uber passenger and they were in the middle of a huge lawsuit. I don't know whatever happened to it as I did not follow the story. But let me ask: how many people die on the road today because of drunken drivers? How many die because a driver had a heart attack and lost control due to being unconscious and killed themselves and other people?

Human or technology, driving will never be 100% safe. For driving a car, the only thing you'd need are sensors, not photo imaging. Currently I'm in a debate with a blogger that's insisting truck drivers will be replaced by autonomous trucks. For that you'd need imaging and a lot more calculations, but not a car.

In the long run, even if it has faults, autonomous cars would be a huge advantage for many of us. I'm sick right now and don't know where I will end up with my condition, so I may not be able to drive in the near future. If available, I would buy a self-driving car because I don't want to rely on anybody to get around, and I don't want to pay companies to take me every place I'd like to go. As long as it's reasonably safe and my auto insurance will cover me, I'd buy one in a heartbeat once incapable of driving safely.

First of all, the current death rate is incredibly small, considering how many people are driving.
About 30,000 deaths a year.
That is out of almost 300 million cars.
That is 0,001%.

Second is that you can't rely on sensors, but need full image processing.
That is because you need to differentiate between paper blowing n the wind, a stationary lamppost, and a child.
In fact, you need to know if there is a puncture threat in the road, if you are headed towards a curb or a shadow, etc.
Current systems rely on GPS or divider lines, neither of which is practical in real life.
So they are just fake, staged events.
But even if you could rely on sensors instead of full image recognition, what happens when they burn out, get dusty, etc.?
The redundancy, maintenance, and certification would have to be like that for a multi million dollar airplane.

I'm claiming they will never be remotely safe, and mass transit is a much cheaper and safer alternative.
If we spent a reasonable amount on mass transit, comparted to all the resources we waste on cars, then mass transit would be much easier, faster, cheaper, and safer.
If you ever had to get around in Boston, it shows that mass transit can be done very well, if one has the political will to do so.
The only thing against mass transit is that cars and fuel for them generates more profits.

Forum List

Back