Retired Teachers collect over $200k Per Year from Gov Pension Funds

KissMy

Free Breast Exam
Oct 10, 2009
In your head
3,090 retired California educators take home $100,000-plus pensions
Retired Capistrano Unified School District Superintendent James A. Fleming could face jail if convicted on a felony indictment charging him with using school resources to track his political enemies. But that won't stop his public pensions from rolling in.

Fleming collects $141,331 a year in California state teacher retirement funds, on top of the $64,068 pension he collects from Florida. Even if convicted on the 2007 charges, both his pensions totaling $205,399 annually will remain untouched.

Fleming is one of 3,090 educators in the California State Teachers' Retirement System who make at least $100,000 a year in taxpayer-guaranteed public pensions, according to a CalSTRS database obtained under the state Public Records Act. Most of the highly paid pensioners are superintendents and other district administrators. And some are pulling salaries from other jobs or pensions from other states.

Last edited:
And some school districts are considering shortening the school week for kids to pay for this.

How lovely.

The OP is very misleading, and unfortunately, anti-teacher.

Most of the highly paid pensioners are superintendents and other district administrators. And some are pulling salaries from other jobs or pensions from other states.

It should read RETIRED SCHOOL ADMINISTRATORS collect $200K+ from Gov't Pensions.

There's a HUGE fucking pay difference between administrators and teachers.

Also, Gov't Pensions are often paid at 100% after 21 years.

This means a 21 year old 2nd LT at age 42 would retire from the Army (probably as a Lt. Col, and then could retire AGAIN after 21 years in education as a principal (at age 63).

Frankly, after 42 years of public service, I'm pleased that these people can retire with $200K/year retirement income. THEY DESERVE IT. On the other hand, how many Wall Street Bonii were paid over $200K this past year?

No, they don't deserve it. That amount of retirement is the equivalent of having $5M in retirement savings. No comparable jobs in the private sector amass that amount of wealth - for public employees to do so is rapacious.

No, they don't deserve it. That amount of retirement is the equivalent of having $5M in retirement savings. No comparable jobs in the private sector amass that amount of wealth - for public employees to do so is rapacious.

What compares in the private sector with being an army officer for 21 years?

What compares in the private sector to being a middle school principal?

Most of the highly paid pensioners are superintendents and other district administrators. And some are pulling salaries from other jobs or pensions from other states.

It should read RETIRED SCHOOL ADMINISTRATORS collect $200K+ from Gov't Pensions.

This means a 21 year old 2nd LT at age 42 would retire from the Army (probably as a Lt. Col, and then could retire AGAIN after 21 years in education as a principal (at age 63).

Frankly, after 42 years of public service, I'm pleased that these people can retire with $200K/year retirement income. THEY DESERVE IT. On the other hand, how many Wall Street Bonii were paid over $200K this past year?

I am not anti teacher. My beef is with the tax payers backing pension funds. These pension funds invested in subprime loans, lost their ass & now still pay-out millions to state workers. What about my retirement? Who is backing my loss? The best the average citizen gets is an $100k FDIC bank account.

Clinton & a bi-partisan congress took away the barriers preventing government backed money from risky & junk bonds so it could be lent to subprime borrowers to further his affirmative action housing agenda. Now the government employees get bailed out & the average citizen is left holding the bag.

I am not anti teacher. My beef is with the tax payers backing pension funds. These pension funds invested in subprime loans, lost their ass & now still pay-out millions to state workers. What about my retirement? Who is backing my loss? The best the average citizen gets is an $100k FDIC bank account.

Clinton & a bi-partisan congress took away the barriers preventing government backed money from risky & junk bonds so it could be lent to subprime borrowers to further his affirmative action housing agenda. Now the government employees get bailed out & the average citizen is left holding the bag.

If you weren't anti-teacher, then you should have been more honest in the thread's title.

TEACHERS don't retire to $200K/yr salaries

All you are doing is disparaging teachers, who deserve the salaries with which they retire.

As much as I respect military service, someone retiring in his 40s can still have a career doing something else. There should be a reasonable pension for those 21 years of service - $200K sounds excessive to me.

That's a management job. Period. Such public employees should be under the same SS and 401K system as the private sector.

As much as I respect military service, someone retiring in his 40s can still have a career doing something else. There should be a reasonable pension for those 21 years of service - $200K sounds excessive to me.

That's a management job. Period. Such public employees should be under the same SS and 401K system as the private sector.

A management job....like, who in the private sector?

At any rate, the $200K/year isn't after JUST 21 years. the military retiree might receive 100% of his salary after 21 years of service. Say $50K/year. THEN he can get a job as a school administrator. Say $60K/year. Then he can work 21 years and RETIRE AGAIN with $50K + $150K/year = $200K/year

And it certainly isn't as if he sat on his ass, playing the market for it.

A management job....like, who in the private sector?

At any rate, the $200K/year isn't after JUST 21 years. the military retiree might receive 100% of his salary after 21 years of service. Say $50K/year. THEN he can get a job as a school administrator. Say $60K/year. Then he can work 21 years and RETIRE AGAIN with $50K + $150K/year = $200K/year

And it certainly isn't as if he sat on his ass, playing the market for it.

And this math is why we have states like CA careening in to insolvency due to pension payments.

We do have two Americas: Public Employee Unions & Politicians vs. the Private Sector.

I suppose this thread should come under the heading of one deadly sin: Envy.
If you're are too stupid to pass a civil service test, too stupid to present yourself as competent, intelligent and capable in several oral interviews, and too fucked up to pass the psychological tests to be hired; and, must spend 30 years as a retail clerk or hourly worker into your late 60's, you should be angry. But don't take it out on those of us smarter then you.
Some of us went to college, got degrees, passed civil service tests, suffered through oral interviews and survived the scrutinty of elected officials - many of whom are morons - and retired after 30 + years with a $ 100k + retirement, health insurance for life and at 50 years of age, I say to you: fuck off.

Militaray retirees make 50% of their base pay at 20 years and additional 2.5% each year for up to 10 more years.

So retiring at 30 years you get 75%.

Some of us went to college, got degrees, passed civil service tests, suffered through oral interviews and survived the scrutinty of elected officials - many of whom are morons - and retired after 30 + years with a $ 100k + retirement, health insurance for life and at 50 years of age, I say to you: fuck off.

You must be a pathetic bureaucrat.

Militaray retirees make 50% of their base pay at 20 years and additional 2.5% each year for up to 10 more years.

Ok Thanks. (don't they also still get 100% medical/dental?)

Texas Public School Employees can make 100% of the average of there 3 highest salaries after 21 years. This is one of the better teacher retirement programs, but its immobile: if you leave the state, you may never meet retirement requirements.

You must be a pathetic bureaucrat.

JEALOUS!!!!:tongue:

Oh yeah.

I so want to do a government bureaucrat job.

I'd rather dig ditches. At least that's honest work - but fortunately, I have a more rewarding career than that.

Texas Public School Employees can make 100% of the average of there 3 highest salaries after 21 years. This is one of the better teacher retirement programs, but its immobile: if you leave the state, you may never meet retirement requirements.

Yeah, retirees can go on TRICARE.

That is a pretty sweet deal for Texas teachers.

Yeah, retirees can go on TRICARE.

That is a pretty sweet deal for Texas teachers.

It is. Especially considering they get summer off

Around Houston I think they start at around $40K but max out at $55K.

Forum List

Back