Retired Israeli veterans warn against Netanyahu speech

A Perez

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2015
March 1

TEL AVIV — Hours after Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu set off Sunday for Washington, a group of 180 retired Israeli generals and former top security officials warned that his upcoming address to a joint meeting of Congress on Iran’s nuclear program will cause more harm than good.

It will not only damage Israel’s special relationship with the United States, but also undermine military and intelligence ties, they said.

Rather than slowing down Iran’s nuclear project, the former security officials said, Netanyahu’s speech Tuesday will bring the Islamic republic closer to developing a nuclear bomb.

“When the Israeli prime minister argues that his speech will stop Iran from obtaining nuclear weapons, he is not only misleading Israel — he is strengthening Iran,” Amnon Reshef, former head of the army’s armored corps, said at a news conference Sunday.

More Retired Israeli veterans warn against speech - The Washington Post

Netanyahu’s party, Likud, responded to the criticism in a statement: “This is a recycled version of the same generals — leftists who promised peace in Oslo, supported the disengagement [from Gaza], supported the Arab Peace Initiative based on dividing Jerusalem, and promoted withdrawal from Judea and Samaria and the Golan Heights.”

The Olso peace agreement was signed in 1993; Israel unilaterally withdrew from Gaza in 2005, and the terror group Hamas took full control of the territory two years later; and Judea and Samaria are the biblical names for today’s occupied West Bank.

Your quoting his political oppositions views on the issue, and he was elected by his country. No political view by any politician from there will represent all of the views of that country, but will represent a portion of that country's views.

Same with all speeches and politics in general.

Bibbi is more of a War time leader, as he is elected after repeated attacks by the areas in question there to deal with it. The people there no he will handle it.

What his speech will be who knows, but you can bet that it will probably detail some of the intel on Iran's Nuclear Program and how the world and Israel can't allow Iran to get the bomb. We have basically thwarted any attempts by Israel to take out the sites via military strikes due to our presence in the region or these sites would have already been destroyed.

I agree if that is what the speech is about and believe Americans in general don't want Iran to get the bomb.

More....

According to Likud party officials, a new video released entitled “Commander for Israel’s Security” is the latest Israeli left-wing effort to unseat Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu and his right-wing government. Speaking to the people in the video are former high-ranking IDF officers including former Chief of Staff and Air Force Commander Dan Halutz.

Those behind the video refused to disclose the source of funding for the project, but Channel 2’s Amit Segal reported the main funds for the project came from Texas businessman Daniel Lubetzky, who is aligned with the V15 organization seeking to oust Netanyahu.

The Yeshiva World How Far the Israeli Left Will Go to Topple the Right-Wing Government Frum Jewish News

Must be election time. But the red flags were:
The special relationship between Israel and the US. There hasn't been one since Obama took office. The generals should know that.
Nothing is going to slow Iran down or speed them up concerning their bomb making capabilities. They are and will remain working as fast as they can. They should know that too.

This is political bullshit in an era of turmoil. The wrong choices can and will effect the globe. Texan's have no business, Obama has no business, manipulating the outcome of a foreign election. Not now, not ever. Allies shouldn't be cutting the throats of Allies. Not in Egypt, not in Israel. Stop thinking, "Big deal, Iran gets a bomb". Think, "Iran is making bombs for themselves, ISIS, Hamas, AL-Qaeda......." Then ask the generals what their opinions about being surrounded by Nuclear weapons are. And why Netanyahu is willing to suffer defeat to regain our support.

Agree with his message or don't, but it's a sad day when America is afraid to hear what the leader of a close ally and fellow democracy has to say. If the Prez doesn't want to listen, at least the people's representatives can give him a fair hearing.

Must be election time. But the red flags were:
The special relationship between Israel and the US. There hasn't been one since Obama took office. The generals should know that.
Nothing is going to slow Iran down or speed them up concerning their bomb making capabilities. They are and will remain working as fast as they can. They should know that too.

This is political bullshit in an era of turmoil. The wrong choices can and will effect the globe. Texan's have no business, Obama has no business, manipulating the outcome of a foreign election. Not now, not ever. Allies shouldn't be cutting the throats of Allies. Not in Egypt, not in Israel. Stop thinking, "Big deal, Iran gets a bomb". Think, "Iran is making bombs for themselves, ISIS, Hamas, AL-Qaeda......." Then ask the generals what their opinions about being surrounded by Nuclear weapons are. And why Netanyahu is willing to suffer defeat to regain our support.
2005: Rush Limbaugh and the Washington Times : Iran Is "Months" Away From The Bomb

For Conservative Media, Iran Is Always A Year Away From Having Nukes For Conservative Media Iran Is Always A Year Away From Having Nukes Blog Media Matters for America

Body, I think we all do. No one is asking that we become Jews, but an ally's support has meaning. We are switching sides. At the worst possible time. And it has not been an American decision. The first time America found out that Obama had struck a deal with Castro, IN CANADA so no one would know it was already done. Obama has advisors that advised him to put their terrorist "organization" in power in Egypt, he did. Stabbed an ally right in the back. And now Iran? The womb of terrorists? Also a done deal without our consent, while stabbing another ally in the back to make it happen. This has to stop. These deals he's making, these countries he's backing have been our enemies for along time. They still are. Name one "organization" he has cozied up to that doesn't want us dead. This is not a party issue. This is an American issue. An American reputation issue. The impact of these things is going to effect Americans. ( It will not ask your party affiliation)

March 1

TEL AVIV — Hours after Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu set off Sunday for Washington, a group of 180 retired Israeli generals and former top security officials warned that his upcoming address to a joint meeting of Congress on Iran’s nuclear program will cause more harm than good.

It will not only damage Israel’s special relationship with the United States, but also undermine military and intelligence ties, they said.

Rather than slowing down Iran’s nuclear project, the former security officials said, Netanyahu’s speech Tuesday will bring the Islamic republic closer to developing a nuclear bomb.

“When the Israeli prime minister argues that his speech will stop Iran from obtaining nuclear weapons, he is not only misleading Israel — he is strengthening Iran,” Amnon Reshef, former head of the army’s armored corps, said at a news conference Sunday.

I agree with them.

March 1

I agree with them.
I disagree with them..................and believe Obama has openly ditched and disrespected Bibbi and Israel.....................

I welcome him to speak at Congress..............and want to here what he has to say...................at that point I can decide whether I agree or disagree with his comments that are yet to be seen....................

Why should Obama Not want a Foreign leader to speak here........................He should say WELCOME and Allow this speech without all the BS squable over it..................even if he disagrees with it.............even if he thinks it's related to the elections..........................

Out of RESPECT for ANOTHER COUNTRIES LEADER........................

Why does this BOTHER HIM SO...................he has OPENLY DITCHED BIBBI on the OPEN MIKE BY ACCIDENT.............

There is no doubt that OBAMA has disrespect for BIBBI.

volut3.jpg

March 1

I agree with them.
I disagree with them..................and believe Obama has openly ditched and disrespected Bibbi and Israel.....................

I welcome him to speak at Congress..............and want to here what he has to say...................at that point I can decide whether I agree or disagree with his comments that are yet to be seen....................

Why should Obama Not want a Foreign leader to speak here........................He should say WELCOME and Allow this speech without all the BS squable over it..................even if he disagrees with it.............even if he thinks it's related to the elections..........................

Why does this BOTHER HIM SO...................he has OPENLY DITCHED BIBBI on the OPEN MIKE BY ACCIDENT.............

You want foreign leaders advising our congress? Its seems like Republicans have more loyalty to Israel than their own country. Seems like they are just doing Israels bidding.

March 1

I agree with them.

You want foreign leaders advising our congress? Its seems like Republicans have more loyalty to Israel than their own country. Seems like they are just doing Israels bidding.
He is a leader of a country and an ally of the United States..........................What he has to say he could do it from abroad........................and someone could still claim he's ADVISING US....................

I expect our leaders to be able to listen and still make educated decisions based on what he has to say..................That's what we elect them to do....................

You make it out that they will be BRAIN WASHED BY BIBBI................utter BS..............It's a speech................and our elected officials WORTH THEIR SALT can listen and NOT BE ASSIMULATED.....................

This whole dang deal is really about OBAMA GETTING BUTT HURT.

March 1

I agree with them.

He is a leader of a country and an ally of the United States..........................What he has to say he could do it from abroad........................and someone could still claim he's ADVISING US....................

I expect our leaders to be able to listen and still make educated decisions based on what he has to say..................That's what we elect them to do....................

You make it out that they will be BRAIN WASHED BY BIBBI................utter BS..............It's a speech................and our elected officials WORTH THEIR SALT can listen and NOT BE ASSIMULATED.....................

Makes them look incredibly weak. Remember the last Republican presidential debates when Romney and Gingrich were arguing who was better friends with Bibi? Pathetic. Yes these Republicans are owned by this guy. I think they represent the best interests of Israel, not the US.

March 1

I agree with them.

Makes them look incredibly weak. Remember the last Republican presidential debates when Romney and Gingrich were arguing who was better friends with Bibi? Pathetic. Yes these Republicans are owned by this guy. I think they represent the best interests of Israel, not the US.
That is a matter of opinion..............and I don't remember that debate..................doesn't matter.......................

I want to here what the leader of our ally has to say.................For him to push for it means it must really matter to him..........................

Whether its politics or addressing the nuclear issue with Iran is still in question...................

Can you listen to him and decide for yourself if it's BS or not....................I can.................and will listen to what he has to say.

Forum List

Back