Rethinking Monogamy Today- Why Not Be More Open?

Having grown weary of the plethora of Trump, bathroom bills and immigration related threads, I thought that I would try something entirely new. The topic is consensual non monogamy. My wife and I were, for many years "into it" Now, for various reasons we are "retired" from the lifestyle, but open to possibilities if the right opportunity presented itself. In recent years it has not. It did work for us, for the most part, and notwithstanding a few "rocky episodes" we mostly have fond memories of our exploits. Sometimes we just look at each other and laugh about "the shit we did "
Anyway, I'm interested in seeing what kind of interest and reaction I get to this topic. Please read the whole article and comment thoughtfully and honestly. Feel free to share your experiences, if any, with any form of non monogamy while in a committed relationship.

Rethinking monogamy today - CNN.com

Selected excerpts
CNN)Could opening your relationship to others benefit you and your partner?
For many couples, monogamy -- staying sexually exclusive with one partner -- is expected and assumed. It's even included in many marriage vows. But as some people are increasingly realizing, monogamy isn't for everyone.

As a couples sex therapist, I've found that some may feel committed to each other yet still feel they have fundamental differences in sexual interests or desires. In the past, many of these couples might have chosen to break up, cheat or just "settle."

But these days, some are finding they want to challenge their notions about sexual exclusivity.
non-monogamy right for you?

So how do you know whether trying consensual non-monogamy -- which includes polyamory, the ability to have sexual and emotional relationships with others -- is worth exploring? First, it helps to understand how you and your partner define sexual openness, as well as sexual exclusivity.
"There are as many different types of non-monogamous relationships as there are people in them," Vrangalova said.

For some couples, non-exclusivity might take the form of attending "play parties" together and swapping partners, watching other couples have sex, dating other people or even entering into polyamorous relationships with multiple partners.

Consensual non-monogamy can add spark and fulfillment to a healthy relationship. "It can actually remove the fear inherent in some monogamous relationships related to the potential for abandonment -- for example, if their partner were to meet someone else," explained Pitagora.

"For other people, there can be a deep sense of relief in not having to be the sole source of sexual satisfaction, and this can lead to greater opportunities for intimacy and bonding," she said.
You'll want to consider issues such as jealousy, honesty and safe sex practices, just to name a few. It's also worth remembering that non-monogamy still carries a stigma in many circles, so think about how you and your partner will address that concern.

Having grown weary of the plethora of Trump, bathroom bills and immigration related threads, I thought that I would try something entirely new. The topic is consensual non monogamy. My wife and I were, for many years "into it" Now, for various reasons we are "retired" from the lifestyle, but open to possibilities if the right opportunity presented itself. In recent years it has not. It did work for us, for the most part, and notwithstanding a few "rocky episodes" we mostly have fond memories of our exploits. Sometimes we just look at each other and laugh about "the shit we did "
Anyway, I'm interested in seeing what kind of interest and reaction I get to this topic. Please read the whole article and comment thoughtfully and honestly. Feel free to share your experiences, if any, with any form of non monogamy while in a committed relationship.

Selected excerpts
For many couples, monogamy -- staying sexually exclusive with one partner -- is expected and assumed. It's even included in many marriage vows. But as some people are increasingly realizing, monogamy isn't for everyone.

As a couples sex therapist, I've found that some may feel committed to each other yet still feel they have fundamental differences in sexual interests or desires. In the past, many of these couples might have chosen to break up, cheat or just "settle."

But these days, some are finding they want to challenge their notions about sexual exclusivity.

So how do you know whether trying consensual non-monogamy -- which includes polyamory, the ability to have sexual and emotional relationships with others -- is worth exploring? First, it helps to understand how you and your partner define sexual openness, as well as sexual exclusivity.
"There are as many different types of non-monogamous relationships as there are people in them," Vrangalova said.

For some couples, non-exclusivity might take the form of attending "play parties" together and swapping partners, watching other couples have sex, dating other people or even entering into polyamorous relationships with multiple partners.

Consensual non-monogamy can add spark and fulfillment to a healthy relationship. "It can actually remove the fear inherent in some monogamous relationships related to the potential for abandonment -- for example, if their partner were to meet someone else," explained Pitagora.

"For other people, there can be a deep sense of relief in not having to be the sole source of sexual satisfaction, and this can lead to greater opportunities for intimacy and bonding," she said.
You'll want to consider issues such as jealousy, honesty and safe sex practices, just to name a few. It's also worth remembering that non-monogamy still carries a stigma in many circles, so think about how you and your partner will address that concern.
The actual language of Moses' 7th Commandment when translated literally out of Hebrew is "thou shalt not do swapping".

So for openers if you are a heathen I suppose there is nothing really wrong with swapping, other than it can be a vector for disease and it can cause confusion is paternity.

If you use condoms and if you don't break one with rough sex you should be able to avoid disease, except for clamidia and genital warts, and you should be able to avoid confused paternity.

In Moses' day and in Jesus' times they did not want to take those chances however, at least according to Moses and Jesus themselves.

Selected excerpts

The actual language of Moses' 7th Commandment when translated literally out of Hebrew is "thou shalt not do swapping".
Seriously??

The biggest plus for a monogamous relationship...

is having only one mother in law

Selected excerpts

Seriously??
Yes, seriously, heathen.

So for openers if you are a heathen I suppose there is nothing really wrong with swapping, other than it can be a vector for disease and it can cause confusion is paternity.

If you use condoms and if you don't break one with rough sex you should be able to avoid disease, except for clamidia and genital warts, and you should be able to avoid confused paternity.

In Moses' day and in Jesus' times they did not want to take those chances however, at least according to Moses and Jesus themselves.
I'm a heathen? Really? How do you know that? Do you even understand what a heath is.? This is exactly the kind of idiocy that I hoped to avoid in favor of a serious discussion.

Selected excerpts

Seriously??
Yes, seriously, heathen.
Actually, many of the people that I encountered in the lifestyle were conservative Christians. Seriously.!!

I'm a heathen? Really? How do you know that? Do you even understand what a heath is.? This is exactly the kind of idiocy that I hoped to avoid in favor of a serious discussion.
You are a heathen because you do not follow the teachings of Moses or of Jesus.

That makes you a heathen.

Eskimos fokk each other too and they are also heathens.

Selected excerpts

Seriously??
Yes, seriously, heathen.
Actually, many of the people that I encountered in the lifestyle were conservative Christians. Seriously.!!
That's called lip service -- no pun intended.

In the early years of my marriage my husband wanted to swap with a friend of his. Both of them were overweight, smelly, middle-aged "swingers". I was infuriated. It was so obvious that this man saw the swap as his opportunity to get his hands on a very hot 19 year old. The fact that my husband somehow wanted to test the furrows on this overweight grandma sickened me and I never felt the same way about him after that.

This is why you should never get married... Also I thought you were gay and did not realize you were married to the opposite sex?

Now if your significant other is open to a open relationship then by all means, and who am I to judge?

As for me, well again reason why I do not do marriage because of the cheating gene and it is better to be single...

Marriage is playing house and raising babies.

It is not designed for free sex with multiple partners.

If you want free sex with multiple partners then don't get married.

Just become a playboy or a playgirl or a John or a whore.

In the early years of my marriage my husband wanted to swap with a friend of his. Both of them were overweight, smelly, middle-aged "swingers". I was infuriated. It was so obvious that this man saw the swap as his opportunity to get his hands on a very hot 19 year old. The fact that my husband somehow wanted to test the furrows on this overweight grandma sickened me and I never felt the same way about him after that.
Sorry to her about your negative experience. It doesn't have to be that way

Why must one chose? Why do you insist that marriage must be monogamous? Open your mind. You don't unilaterally get to declare what marriage is "designed" for

This is why you should never get married... Also I thought you were gay and did not realize you were married to the opposite sex?

Now if your significant other is open to a open relationship then by all means, and who am I to judge?

As for me, well again reason why I do not do marriage because of the cheating gene and it is better to be single...
It's not about marriage. It's about committed relationships a the boundaries and rules that couples set in those relationships, which do not have to always be "traditional" You can have it all if you can get your head around that.

Me gay and don't realize that I was married to the opposite sex? WTF? Where did that come from? This has nothing to do with sexual orientation.

Last edited:

It's not about marriage. It's about committed relationships a the boundaries and rules that couples set in those relationships, which do not have to always be "traditional" You can have it all if you can get your head around that.

Me gay and don't realize that I was married to the opposite sex? WTF? Where did that come from? This has nothing to do with sexual orientation.
A committed heathen relationship.

Hilarious !!!

Why must one chose? Why do you insist that marriage must be monogamous? Open your mind. You don't unilaterally get to declare what marriage is "designed" for
I am not insisting anything.

Moses did the insisting.

And Jesus did the insisting.

Forum List

Back