Resign, Mr. Speaker: Washington Times

NATO AIR

Jun 25, 2004
USS Abraham Lincoln
Amen! Get rid of this SOB and the rest of the GOP and DEMS who knew about Foley's love of little boys. In fact, should the FBI charge Foley, charges for Hastert and the rest of these ol boys should be considered. Let the fat hypocrite and his buddies rot in a pen.

http://washingtontimes.com/op-ed/20061002-102008-9058r.htm

Resign, Mr. Speaker
TODAY'S EDITORIAL
October 3, 2006

The facts of the disgrace of Mark Foley, who was a Republican member of the House from a Florida district until he resigned last week, constitute a disgrace for every Republican member of Congress. Red flags emerged in late 2005, perhaps even earlier, in suggestive and wholly inappropriate e-mail messages to underage congressional pages. His aberrant, predatory -- and possibly criminal -- behavior was an open secret among the pages who were his prey. The evidence was strong enough long enough ago that the speaker should have relieved Mr. Foley of his committee responsibilities contingent on a full investigation to learn what had taken place, whether any laws had been violated and what action, up to and including prosecution, were warranted by the facts. This never happened.
Rep. John Shimkus of Illinois, the Republican chairman of the House Page Board, said he learned about the Foley e-mail messages "in late 2005." Rep. John Boehner of Ohio, the leader of the Republican majority, said he was informed of the e-mail messages earlier this year. On Friday, Mr. Hastert dissembled, to put it charitably, before conceding that he, too, learned about the e-mail messages sometime earlier this year. Late yesterday afternoon, Mr. Hastert insisted that he learned of the most flagrant instant-message exchange from 2003 only last Friday, when it was reported by ABC News. This is irrelevant. The original e-mail messages were warning enough that a predator -- and, incredibly, the co-chairman of the House Caucus on Missing and Exploited Children -- could be prowling the halls of Congress. The matter wasn't pursued aggressively. It was barely pursued at all. Moreover, all available evidence suggests that the Republican leadership did not share anything related to this matter with any Democrat.
Now the scandal must unfold on the front pages of the newspapers and on the television screens, as transcripts of lewd messages emerge and doubts are rightly raised about the forthrightness of the Republican stewards of the 109th Congress. Some Democrats are attempting to make this "a Republican scandal," and they shouldn't; Democrats have contributed more than their share of characters in the tawdry history of congressional sexual scandals. Sexual predators come in all shapes, sizes and partisan hues, in institutions within and without government. When predators are found they must be dealt with, forcefully and swiftly. This time the offender is a Republican, and Republicans can't simply "get ahead" of the scandal by competing to make the most noise in calls for a full investigation. The time for that is long past.
House Speaker Dennis Hastert must do the only right thing, and resign his speakership at once. Either he was grossly negligent for not taking the red flags fully into account and ordering a swift investigation, for not even remembering the order of events leading up to last week's revelations -- or he deliberately looked the other way in hopes that a brewing scandal would simply blow away. He gave phony answers Friday to the old and ever-relevant questions of what did he know and when did he know it? Mr. Hastert has forfeited the confidence of the public and his party, and he cannot preside over the necessary coming investigation, an investigation that must examine his own inept performance.
A special, one-day congressional session should elect a successor. We nominate Rep. Henry Hyde, also of Illinois, the chairman of the House International Relations Committee whose approaching retirement ensures that he has no dog in this fight. He has a long and principled career, and is respected on both sides of the aisle. Mr. Hyde would preside over the remaining three months of the 109th Congress in a manner best suited for a full and exhaustive investigation until a new speaker for the 110th Congress is elected in January, who can assume responsibility for the investigation.

Yep, and while were at it...Pelosi should resign for Kennedy Jr's ambien induced run in, how the hell didn't she know about this???? She and the democrats should be kicked out for Jefferson bribery scandal, how the hell didn't they know this was going on????
The Democrats should be kicked out for allowing Marion Berry to run again after being convicted of a crime..... Teddy Kennedy should of been gone over how many yrs ago,over a controversy accident that is so disturbing(but he's not)........ now his son is taking up the headlines???.......

Hell, as far as I'm concerned, all the freaking congress should GO.....:bang3:

Yep, and while were at it...Pelosi should resign for Kennedy Jr's ambien induced run in, how the hell didn't she know about this???? She and the democrats should be kicked out for Jefferson bribery scandal, how the hell didn't they know this was going on????
The Democrats should be kicked out for allowing Marion Berry to run again after being convicted of a crime..... Teddy Kennedy should of been gone over how many yrs ago,over a controversy accident that is so disturbing(but he's not)........ now his son is taking up the headlines???.......

Hell, as far as I'm concerned, all the freaking congress should GO.....:bang3:

At least among the House, that isn't such a bad idea! Yes, the Dems and GOP are both coming for a reckoning here soon. Let's hope the GOP Cleans house faster and gets back on the ball.

I am with you my friend............We need to clean up.......Take names.........And ask questions...................Now?????
Democrats or Rebuplicans..........Do you stand with the people, for the people of this great United States of America??????????????

If not...............:whip:

I think its pretty hysterical that Dems are screaming for these GOP people to resign. I guess since it was known he was gay the GOP should had started a witch hunt when they in fact knew little more than the fact he was gay.

Why should leadership resign? Because they knew about the emails? There was nothing serious in the emails. Odd yes. They looked into it and thought it had been taken care of. Its the Instant messages that they didnt know about that had more serious things, although if you notice we haven't even really been told what exactly he said in the IMs.

When the IMs were exposed, Folley resigned. The Republicans didnt circle the wagons to defend him. We still arent circling the wagons to defend him. And what exactly has Folley done? Had some questionable instant messages with minors. We dont know that he did anything. No one has come forward and made that claim. We dont know that he broke any law. That would depend on the state laws and how old the minors were. You know in some states you are old enough to consent at the age of 16.

Seriously, we dont know squat about anything other than its clear the guy is sick and has admitted it by resigning. So why the heck should we go after Republican leadership who knew nothing, pursued what they did know, and concluded the problem had been resolved?

This is ridiculous. There is no doubt the guy should have resigned, but lets find out what he actually did before we start we railroad him and demand the resignation of leadership for no reason other than the Democrats wanting a scandal.

Why should leadership resign? Because they knew about the emails? There was nothing serious in the emails. Odd yes. They looked into it and thought it had been taken care of. Its the Instant messages that they didnt know about that had more serious things, although if you notice we haven't even really been told what exactly he said in the IMs.

When the IMs were exposed, Folley resigned. The Republicans didnt circle the wagons to defend him. We still arent circling the wagons to defend him. And what exactly has Folley done? Had some questionable instant messages with minors. We dont know that he did anything. No one has come forward and made that claim. We dont know that he broke any law. That would depend on the state laws and how old the minors were. You know in some states you are old enough to consent at the age of 16.

Seriously, we dont know squat about anything other than its clear the guy is sick and has admitted it by resigning. So why the heck should we go after Republican leadership who knew nothing, pursued what they did know, and concluded the problem had been resolved?

This is ridiculous. There is no doubt the guy should have resigned, but lets find out what he actually did before we start we railroad him and demand the resignation of leadership for no reason other than the Democrats wanting a scandal.

rep to you for keeping this in perspective !

Why should leadership resign? Because they knew about the emails? There was nothing serious in the emails. Odd yes.

You don't think there was anything "serious" in him telling a 16 year old boy he hoped he made him horny and wanted to take his clothes off? Okie Dokie....

They looked into it and thought it had been taken care of. Its the Instant messages that they didnt know about that had more serious things, although if you notice we haven't even really been told what exactly he said in the IMs.

Actually, the content has been all over the news.

When the IMs were exposed, Folley resigned.

And blames it on "alcholism" which, as far as I know, doesn't make someone a pedophile... only pedophiles are pedophiles.... not drunks.

The Republicans didnt circle the wagons to defend him. We still arent circling the wagons to defend him.

Not quite true if Hastart knew 9 months ago, is it. And they can't very well do that with a midterm election coming up, can they?

And what exactly has Folley done? Had some questionable instant messages with minors.

Questionable? Again.... see above.

We dont know that he did anything.

Yeah... we do.... he propositioned young boys.

No one has come forward and made that claim. We dont know that he broke any law.

Yeah.... we do. And probably Foley's own law is what he'll be convicted under.... you know, the one that protects kids from sexual preditors.

That would depend on the state laws and how old the minors were. You know in some states you are old enough to consent at the age of 16.

Like I said, it depends on the Federal Law governing sexual preditors.

Seriously, we dont know squat about anything other than its clear the guy is sick and has admitted it by resigning.

Yeah.... after he was outed.

So why the heck should we go after Republican leadership who knew nothing, pursued what they did know, and concluded the problem had been resolved?

Well, if Hastart knew, and his own party is asking for his resignation.... then maybe they don't agree with you that the problem had been "resolved"... besides, they're desperate to hold on to the House and now they're gonna probably lose a seat they thought was a given.

It's not the Dems who started calling for Hastart's ouster, it was Repubs. And I look forward to your same restraint if a Dem is ever found to be a pedophile. :cheers2:

You don't think there was anything "serious" in him telling a 16 year old boy he hoped he made him horny and wanted to take his clothes off? Okie Dokie....

Hastert knew this?---Prove it or is it hearsay?

The content of what and when was it "all over the news"

And blames it on "alcholism" which, as far as I know, doesn't make someone a pedophile... only pedophiles are pedophiles.... not drunks.

Where has he blamed it all on alcoholism?

Not quite true if Hastart knew 9 months ago, is it. And they can't very well do that with a midterm election coming up, can they?

ooOOOH a "half" truth !

When did Hastert know this?

Yeah.... we do. And probably Foley's own law is what he'll be convicted under.... you know, the one that protects kids from sexual preditors

uh--no we don't.

Maybe you wanna wait then until you convict him

Well, if Hastart knew, and his own party is asking for his resignation.... then maybe they don't agree with you that the problem had been "resolved"... besides, they're desperate to hold on to the House and now they're gonna probably lose a seat they thought was a given.

The dems are just as guilty of making this political

So, tell me again, why ANYONE would want to be in politics?

Anyone, can say anything, without any proof, and with no witnesses, and they are TRIED, CONVICTED, and SENTENCED in the media.

Really, we have no need for the court system in this country, all we need is the New York Times.

Talk about slimy...............:puke3:

So, tell me again, why ANYONE would want to be in politics?

Anyone, can say anything, without any proof, and with no witnesses, and they are TRIED, CONVICTED, and SENTENCED in the media.

Really, we have no need for the court system in this country, all we need is the New York Times.

Talk about slimy...............:puke3:

What really scare me sometimes is how ugly it REALLY must be behind the scenes. I mean these people even have unwritten rules concerning what is a no-no to even talk about. Take pork barrel spending for example---they ALL know what a rip off it is--Dems and GOPs--yet they both try to literally sneak that crap through. They scratch each others' backs and STILL can't get along. :thumbdown:

I think its pretty hysterical that Dems are screaming for these GOP people to resign. I guess since it was known he was gay the GOP should had started a witch hunt when they in fact knew little more than the fact he was gay.
The liberals have always argued that gays are harmless. So much for believing that story.

What really scare me sometimes is how ugly it REALLY must be behind the scenes. I mean these people even have unwritten rules concerning what is a no-no to even talk about. Take pork barrel spending for example---they ALL know what a rip off it is--Dems and GOPs--yet they both try to literally sneak that crap through. They scratch each others' backs and STILL can't get along. :thumbdown:

Its all a show dilloduck.

THAT is what really burns ME up.:bang3:

Its all a show dilloduck.

THAT is what really burns ME up.:bang3:

yup----hopefully an ousider is waiting in the wings to come in and give both parties the scolding of a lifetime. If voters have no other choice than dems and reps, they can't even vote to express thier disgust. These two parties can be best friends when it comes to keeping a third party out of debates etc.

Amen! Get rid of this SOB and the rest of the GOP and DEMS who knew about Foley's love of little boys. In fact, should the FBI charge Foley, charges for Hastert and the rest of these ol boys should be considered. Let the fat hypocrite and his buddies rot in a pen.

I think this is overreactionary, politically-driven bullshit.

What exactly is Hastert's responsibility in this regard? His statement was that he was only aware of an e-mail, not the contents, and passed that info on to the guy running the page program.

Suddenly there's a witch hunt on to crucify anyone that ever used "e-mail" and "Foley" in the same sentence.

Since we know the multi-billion dollar, decade-long investigation is sure to follow, how about let's wait for SOME KIND OF EVIDENCE AT ALL before hanging the "fat hypocrite and his buddies"?

At least among the House, that isn't such a bad idea! Yes, the Dems and GOP are both coming for a reckoning here soon. Let's hope the GOP Cleans house faster and gets back on the ball.

The problem with that idea is the GOP is the ONLY one that cleans house. They lose seats while the Dems just ignore the crap their representatives pull.

But back to my previous post, I think you're all too willing to convict on hearsay.

Source please.

What news? All I have seen or heard so far is everythign caveated with "allegedly." I guess when it's a Republican in the hot seat, that means it's fact.

What Foley blames anything on is irrelevant to fact.

Hastart said he didn't know. You have evidence otherwise?

Questionable? Again.... see above.

There's nothing "above" but a statement by you unsupported by any evidence.

Really? What criminal charges have been filed? Propositioning minors for sex is punishable by law. If he violated a law, then why hasn't he been charged?

So....no, you don't.

Yeah.... we do. And probably Foley's own law is what he'll be convicted under.... you know, the one that protects kids from sexual preditors.

"Probably huh?" You're making statements of fact when not even a single charge has been filed.

Your rush to judgement sure is dependent on a LOT.

Yeah.... after he was outed.

Really? WHO exposded him, and what evidence did he/she present?

Yeah, "IF". He says he didn't. It'll only take some evidence to prove otherwise. Otherwise that old axiom applies: innocent until proven guilty. Or have you forgotten that one?

It's not the Dems who started calling for Hastart's ouster, it was Repubs. And I look forward to your same restraint if a Dem is ever found to be a pedophile. :cheers2:

A few overreactionary flakes. And I have never seen dillo mistreat ANY Democrat pedophiles.

The fact is, I'm pretty non-partisan on the issue. Pedophiles need to be shot, end of story. However, I DO like to see some REAL evidence and a conviction first.

A few overreactionary flakes. And I have never seen dillo mistreat ANY Democrat pedophiles.

The fact is, I'm pretty non-partisan on the issue. Pedophiles need to be shot, end of story. However, I DO like to see some REAL evidence and a conviction first.

Amazing how those attorney skills fly out the window when passionate hyperpartisanship consumes people.

Source please

The im's have been all over the news....

What news? All I have seen or heard so far is everythign caveated with "allegedly." I guess when it's a Republican in the hot seat, that means it's fact.

They are putting the specific language of the im's all over network and cable news... you might not get it on Fox, though. (I'm not being facetious about that, I don't know if they're giving it that kind of coverage). There also isn't anyone out of Foley's camp, including his attorney, denying the content of the im's.

What Foley blames anything on is irrelevant to fact.

It's only relevant to the extent that it's an excuse and his going in to alcohol rehab really doesn't have anything to do with his "problem".

Hastart said he didn't know. You have evidence otherwise?

No. Hence my post specifically saying "if" he knew. But I'm also not the one calling for his ouster. That started with the WashTimes and some Republicans in the house.

Really? What criminal charges have been filed? Propositioning minors for sex is punishable by law. If he violated a law, then why hasn't he been charged?

So....no, you don't.

Except, again, they've been playing the specific language of the im's on network and cable news since yesterday. So, unless the im's are fabricated.... then yes, he propositioned minors for sex... something, again, that Foley's camp isn't denying. As for him not being charged, I suspect that is going to happen pretty soon, hence him getting his team in order now.

Your rush to judgement sure is dependent on a LOT.

Not really.... again, Foley hasn't denied the allegations and it is being treated as a given by everyone in the House...including the Republican leadership, so I'd say it's safe to assume the allegations are true. Do you know of anyone on Foley's end who's saying that it didn't happen as described?

Yeah, "IF". He says he didn't. It'll only take some evidence to prove otherwise. Otherwise that old axiom applies: innocent until proven guilty. Or have you forgotten that one?

No... haven't forgotten it. Foley is, to the best of my knowledge, only denying having had physical contact with a minor. I don't believe he's denying the on-line propositions.

The fact is, I'm pretty non-partisan on the issue. Pedophiles need to be shot, end of story.

We're of like mind on that issue. I think that's pretty much universal and non-partisan. :beer:

However, I DO like to see some REAL evidence and a conviction first.[/COLOR]

Fair enough.

Forum List

Back