Reshaping US aid to the Palestinians

Here is another one...why is this ignored in the groundswell of anti Palestinian propaganda depicting Palestinians as worthless aid leeches?

https ://www.technologyreview.com/s/429474/a-palestinian-startup-success-story/
Souktel’s success reflects a rising entrepreneurial groundswell in the Palestinian tech sector that has seen its contribution to the economy leap from less than 1 percent of Palestinian GDP in 2008 to around 8 percent last year. In September, Sadara Ventures, the first early-stage IT VC partnership established in Palestine, announced the inaugural allocation from its $30 million fund, a $1 million investment in the travel startup Yamsafer.

Media Item | Souktel Digital Solutions

An example of programs where Aid has been successful. And also largely ignored.

Not business as usual: Developing Palestinian exports

Mahdi Hassan is proud of the challenges he overcame to gradually become one of the biggest exporters of Palestinian date palm. “Medjool date, grown in Jericho, is renowned for its taste,” says Mahdi, general manager of Emirates Delight. “We exported nearly 700 tonnes last year”, 10 times more than when the company started in 2008.

“But it is not just about profits,” he says. “It is how we ensure farmers also benefit from our exports to new markets.” The increased export of Palestinian dates by Mahdi’s company means that the small farmers he relies on can sell more of their production to meet international demand. With increased demand comes increased prices.

“We now buy our dates at twice the price of a few years ago, for a product that local farmers could not sell before,” Mahdi says. “We see it as our social commitment to the Jericho small farmers to share our opportunities and help their income.”

Highlights
  • Membership to PalTrade increased from 164 to 229 small and medium enterprises, all exporters or with potential to export.
  • 80 companies received expert business advice and recommendations to support their export activities; 10 of these companies are managed by women.
  • 19 certified trade advisors, including 6 women, the only such certified advisors in the region.
  • In 2014 PalTrade activities directly contributed to US$45 million in Palestinian exports.

And more...this is quite interesting, assessing the business climate, government issues and this effect on business. It is actually a very thorough report and challenges some of the assumptions held and promoted by both sides. It illustrates the complexities involved in creating a business friendly environment, steps that have been taken to improve conditions, especially corruption, as well as steps that have hindered it.

https://www.state.gov/documents/organization/229307.pdf

An example of the successful use of aid (and programs like these are what are being cut).

Israelis and Palestinians Launch Cross-border Businesses | Near East Foundation

Prior to the Second Intifada, regular economic cooperation, cross-border employment opportunities, and a network of social relations existed between Palestinians and Israelis. When the construction of the separation barrier began in 2000, mobility along with social and economic interactions became severely limited, resulting in a generation of Palestinian and Israeli youth who have never known people from the “other side.”

Adi grew up in northern Israel where she had little to no interaction with Palestinians in the West Bank. When she heard about the Near East Foundation’s Youth Agribusiness Partnership (YAP) initiative, Adi jumped at the opportunity to get involved.

The YAP initiative, funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) and implemented by the Near East Foundation (NEF) and its partners—the Peres Center for Peace and the Palestinian Center for Agricultural Research and Development (PCARD), aims to build lasting relationships of trust and collaboration between Israelis and Palestinians through cross-border economic collaboration. This initiative builds on NEF’s past successes implementing similar projects in the region, but with a unique twist in that it specifically targets young Palestinian and Israeli women and men—whose interaction with the “other side” has been severely limited.

RE: Reshaping US aid to the Palestinians
※→ Coyote, et al,

I accept that USAID Projects are generally successful, from the view of the local economic conditions. I even acknowledge that organizations like the Palestinian Center for Agricultural Research and Development (PCARD) are not only beneficial, but also examples of the business concerns that have been relatively clean of corruption.

I also believe that the American based Near East Foundation (NEF) has made many contributions that have had very positive effects that have gone unappreciated by many Westerners. NEF has had some remarkable results working with foreign governments and local organizations. And often NEF has demonstrated that a positive impact at a relatively low cost in turn-key microenterprise has proven very effective.

(COMMENT)

OK, let us discuss some recent findings. And OK so this year we've seen (within the Palestinian Governates) a small downturn in the economy which had expanded by about 4% in 2016, but with the 2017 economy reflecting med-term growth is projected at ≈ 3.5% (not quite what they wanted, but not bad given the turmoil). The decline in economic growth leveled-off around 3% in 2017, down from 3.3% in 2016 (despite the complaints about Israeli interference). So, I concede the modest loss.

BUT, having said all that, I would like to address a couple of points that periodically crop-up in these types of conversations.

Average CPI and Inflation Rate 2010 → 2017 .png

Please notice that the Inflation Rate hovered between +1% → -1%. The swift jagged point was Operation Cast Lead. The lower graph shows that there is not much difference between Production costs and the wholesale price (modest Mark-up).

This chart set is almost self-explanatory...

Building Licenses and Areas.png

This tells me that the complaint that the Israelis are withholding Licenses is a bit exaggerated. Yes, there seems to be a decline, but that just tracks with the rhetoric and threats of war.

• Hamas leader in Gaza Yahya Sinwar: ‘I don’t want any more wars’ — 4 OCT 2018
  • Is Hamas sending a message to Israel it's ready for war? — 4 OCT 2018
(BTW)

The use of threats against the sovereignty of another state is prohibited.

Most Respectfully,
R

※→ Coyote, et al,

I accept that USAID Projects are generally successful, from the view of the local economic conditions. I even acknowledge that organizations like the Palestinian Center for Agricultural Research and Development (PCARD) are not only beneficial, but also examples of the business concerns that have been relatively clean of corruption.

I also believe that the American based Near East Foundation (NEF) has made many contributions that have had very positive effects that have gone unappreciated by many Westerners. NEF has had some remarkable results working with foreign governments and local organizations. And often NEF has demonstrated that a positive impact at a relatively low cost in turn-key microenterprise has proven very effective.

(COMMENT)

OK, let us discuss some recent findings. And OK so this year we've seen (within the Palestinian Governates) a small downturn in the economy which had expanded by about 4% in 2016, but with the 2017 economy reflecting med-term growth is projected at ≈ 3.5% (not quite what they wanted, but not bad given the turmoil). The decline in economic growth leveled-off around 3% in 2017, down from 3.3% in 2016 (despite the complaints about Israeli interference). So, I concede the modest loss.

BUT, having said all that, I would like to address a couple of points that periodically crop-up in these types of conversations.
Please notice that the Inflation Rate hovered between +1% → -1%. The swift jagged point was Operation Cast Lead. The lower graph shows that there is not much difference between Production costs and the wholesale price (modest Mark-up).

This chart set is almost self-explanatory...

This tells me that the complaint that the Israelis are withholding Licenses is a bit exaggerated. Yes, there seems to be a decline, but that just tracks with the rhetoric and threats of war.

• Hamas leader in Gaza Yahya Sinwar: ‘I don’t want any more wars’ — 4 OCT 2018
  • Is Hamas sending a message to Israel it's ready for war? — 4 OCT 2018
(BTW)

The use of threats against the sovereignty of another state is prohibited.

Most Respectfully,
R
What do they mean by licensed area?

※→ Coyote, et al,

I believe that "Licensed Area" is the parent term that includes several variations on a theme.

What do they mean by licensed area?
(THOUGHT)

Generally speaking, it is authorization for specific use within a local jurisdiction. It may either be something on the order of a building permit, zoning or construction variance. It may also be the case that the area is already spoken for in other plans (planned for something else). I have also seen this term used, elsewhere in the commonwealth, to allow or disallow exploitation of mineral rights (especially in cases gas, oil, and water).

Most Respectfully,
R

And more...this is quite interesting, assessing the business climate, government issues and this effect on business. It is actually a very thorough report and challenges some of the assumptions held and promoted by both sides. It illustrates the complexities involved in creating a business friendly environment, steps that have been taken to improve conditions, especially corruption, as well as steps that have hindered it.

https://www.state.gov/documents/organization/229307.pdf
Salem Fayyed is a former IMF Rep and a darling of the west. What has been called Fayyadism are neoliberal economic policies imposed on Palestine. He has never been the legal PM of Palestine.

Your linked article is by the US government who also favors neoliberal policies so it has to be take with a grain of salt.

Forum List

Back