Researchers shocked by experiment that gave homeless thousands of dollars. They were responsible.

MarcATL

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2009
Contrary to what we often are told about this segment of the population....

A group of 50 homeless people were given about $5,700 and were allowed to spend the money however they wished as researchers followed their lives for more than a year.

By Joseph Guzman | Oct. 9, 2020

Story at a glance

Researchers found that those who received the money on average were able to find stable housing faster, maintain financial security and stability, and increased their spending on food, clothing and rent.
Spending on alcohol, cigarettes and drugs fell by an average of 39 percent.
Foundations for Social Change CEO Claire Williams said the findings were “beautifully surprising."

Preliminary findings from a new study out of Canada are pushing back against common misconceptions of social programs and those experiencing homelessness.

The “New Leaf Project” is a joint study spearheaded by Vancouver-based charitable organization Foundations for Social Change in partnership with the University of British Columbia.

Read more...

Last edited:
Contrary to what we often here told about this segment of the population....

A group of 50 homeless people were given about $5,700 and were allowed to spend the money however they wished as researchers followed their lives for more than a year.

Story at a glance

Researchers found that those who received the money on average were able to find stable housing faster, maintain financial security and stability, and increased their spending on food, clothing and rent.
Foundations for Social Change CEO Claire Williams said the findings were “beautifully surprising."

Preliminary findings from a new study out of Canada are pushing back against common misconceptions of social programs and those experiencing homelessness.

The “New Leaf Project” is a joint study spearheaded by Vancouver-based charitable organization Foundations for Social Change in partnership with the University of British Columbia.

Read more...

Then why don't you give me your money?

I'll promise to spend it responsibly.

Story at a glance

Read more...

It never said what the percentage was or at what percent did they have to say the program showed to be effected

Story at a glance

Read more...

Can you elaborate on what we're told about this population and why you think a study which screened participants to assure a low risk of mental health challenges and substance abuse supports an opposing view?

Then why don't you give me your money?

I'll promise to spend it responsibly.
I’m pretty sure the OP wants to give the poor YOUR money as a gesture of HIS bleeding heart

I have no problem with private organizations giving away whatever money they want to give away.

However, I have a big friggin problem with somebody using private research to provide as a justification for using the filthy ass government to take my money and giving away to somebody else.

The government taking the money I had to work to earn and giving it away to some shithead that didn't earn it is absolutely despicable.

Story at a glance

Read more...

Can you elaborate on what we're told about this population and why you think a study which screened participants to assure a low risk of mental health challenges and substance abuse supports an opposing view?

Even in a bad economy like we saw when Obama was President where poverty increased most homeless in the US are that way because they have mental problems.

It is not my responsibility to fund the crazies.

Story at a glance

Read more...

I frequently give money to the homeless. I am glad it helps. Thank you for your post. You're still a racist dink but I am glad this works.

Story at a glance

Read more...

I frequently give money to the homeless. I am glad it helps. Thank you for your post. You're still a racist dink but I am glad this works.

My church provides money and resources to the indigent on a continuing basis.

That is a good thing. It is all voluntary. Anybody can opt out by simply not contributing to the funds. God bless Liberty.

Left Wing turds wants the government to take our money by force and give it away to whoever the Left Wing turds deem worthy.

Taking away Liberty is a central tenet of the Left Wing. Slavery to the state is a central tenet of the Left Wing.

To Hell with the Left Wing Moon Bats.

Forum List

Back