Researchers Link Earthquakes In Texas To Fracking Process

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America
Researchers Link Earthquakes In Texas To Fracking Process

Researchers Link Earthquakes In Texas To Fracking Process | ThinkProgress

Researchers at Southern Methodist University have linked a string of 2009 and 2010 earthquakes in Texas to the injection of fracking wastewater into the ground, according to a new study. What?s Causing Texas Earthquakes? SMU Study Explores Injection Wells From Drilling | KERA News

The researchers examined the group of more than 50 earthquakes that hit the area of Cleburne, Texas in 2009 and 2010, and found that they could have happened because of wastewater injection wells associated with fracking operations. Before 2008, the Fort Worth Basin of Texas had never experienced an earthquake.

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfairpark/2013/12/fracking_disposal_wells_could.php“ Because there were no known previous earthquakes, and the located events were close to the two injection wells and near the injection depth, the possibility exists that earthquakes may be related to fluid injection,” the authors write in their report.

• Banned
How does the injection of wastewater at depth cause earthquakes?

Earth's crust is pervasively fractured at depth by faults. These faults can sustain high stresses without slipping because natural "tectonic" stress and the weight of the overlying rock pushes the opposing fault blocks together, increasing the frictional resistance to fault slip. The injected wastewater counteracts the frictional forces on faults and, in effect, "pries them apart", thereby facilitating earthquake slip.

How does the injection of wastewater at depth cause earthquakes? | USGS FAQs

The entire PURPOSE of fracking is to crack rock.. Cracking rocks can be detected on a seismograph. Doesn't mean that a fault exists or that any OTHER noise or movement is expected.

So --- please continue to rely on thinkprogress for your brains.. But dont get all bitchy when folks pick that factless shit to bits..

World Record for Loudest Outdoor Stadium Noise Registers on Seismometer

During the NFL Monday Night Football game on December 2, 2013, Seattle Seahawks fans at CenturyLink Field not only broke the Guinness World Record for loudest outdoor stadium noise at 137.6 decibels during their game with the New Orleans Saints, they also set off seismometers five different times during the game. The Seattle Seahawks' fans have again set a noise record, taking back a mark they achieved earlier this season.

University of Washington Earth and Space Sciences Professor John Vidale says that the school's seismometer, located not far from the stadium, detected seismic activity five separate times during the Seahawks latest win over New Orleans. The University of Washington seismology lab first recorded what is now called the "Beastquake" almost three years ago, when Marshawn Lynch completed a 67-yard touchdown run against the Saints.

In Tennessee, you can feel blasting for construction many times a week.. Do I consider those an earthquake now?? I'm sure -- they would hit respectable levels on a seismograph.... Having spent many years in Californ I A, where my family often never felt a 3.0 quake.. I can tell you these blasting impulses are MUCH STRONGER...

Last edited:

Forum List

Back