Researchers have identified 121 giant planets that may have habitable moons

Jessica123

VIP Member
May 3, 2018
May 31, 2018 by Sarah Nightingale, University of California - Riverside
In a paper forthcoming in The Astrophysical Journal, researchers at the University of California, Riverside and the University of Southern Queensland have identified more than 100 giant planets that potentially host moons capable of supporting life. Their work will guide the design of future telescopes that can detect these potential moons and look for tell-tale signs of life, called biosignatures, in their atmospheres.

Since the 2009 launch of NASA's Kepler telescope, scientists have identified thousands of planets outside our solar system, which are called exoplanets. A primary goal of the Kepler mission is to identify planets that are in the habitable zones of their stars, meaning it's neither too hot nor too cold for liquid water—and potentially life—to exist.

Read more at: https://phys.org/new...-moons.html#jCp

Not only do we look for an extrasolar planet but also for moons of habitable zone giant gas planets. Imagine for one second an mars or even an Earth size moon circling an 3-5 Jupiter mass planet. That would be really cool!

In a paper forthcoming in The Astrophysical Journal, researchers at the University of California, Riverside and the University of Southern Queensland have identified more than 100 giant planets that potentially host moons capable of supporting life. Their work will guide the design of future telescopes that can detect these potential moons and look for tell-tale signs of life, called biosignatures, in their atmospheres.

Since the 2009 launch of NASA's Kepler telescope, scientists have identified thousands of planets outside our solar system, which are called exoplanets. A primary goal of the Kepler mission is to identify planets that are in the habitable zones of their stars, meaning it's neither too hot nor too cold for liquid water—and potentially life—to exist.

Not only do we look for an extrasolar planet but also for moons of habitable zone giant gas planets. Imagine for one second an mars or even an Earth size moon circling an 3-5 Jupiter mass planet. That would be really cool!
First thing I always hope is that we could live there. But like earth it won’t live forever either and they are so far away, really does it matter if we can live there? So then I just want to find life elsewhere. Now I feel deserted on an island or stranded out at sea by ourselves. I would just love to see a ship sail by.

I hope titan or Europa have life in them.

Earth is so small if we were looking at our solar system from another, would we even see us?

• Banned

First thing I always hope is that we could live there. But like earth it won’t live forever either and they are so far away, really does it matter if we can live there? So then I just want to find life elsewhere. Now I feel deserted on an island or stranded out at sea by ourselves. I would just love to see a ship sail by.

Earth is so small if we were looking at our solar system from another, would we even see us?

I feel the same way...

Most likely the only thing some other civilization could see from another solar system is our atmospheric output.

First thing I always hope is that we could live there.

I think that is exactly what we are looking for. A new place to colonize. That seems to be human nature. An instinct.

However, if we do find a habitable planet or moon somewhere out there, it would take a long time to get there. Who has enough time on their hands to make such a journey? Lifers. People who have been sentenced to life in prison for horrific crimes.

When (we will, sooner or later) we find some other habitable world, we could let lifers and death row inmates volunteer to make the treacherous journey to that other world.

I think that is exactly what we are looking for. A new place to colonize. That seems to be human nature. An instinct.

However, if we do find a habitable planet or moon somewhere out there, it would take a long time to get there. Who has enough time on their hands to make such a journey? Lifers. People who have been sentenced to life in prison for horrific crimes.

When (we will, sooner or later) we find some other habitable world, we could let lifers and death row inmates volunteer to make the treacherous journey to that other world.
You know that woman who killed her one kid and put him in the freezer? And the other kids lived there knowing that kid was in the freezer. She claims the one she killed was molesting the baby but still to kill your kid?

Well, I could see her being selected for this trip. Except she’s too old. We would need to find someone like her only in their 20s.

No I change my mind. I disagree about selecting lifers. They’re too fucked up. Let’s take people who get 20 years for 2nd degree murder. I might opt for mars if I was going to prison for 20 years.

No rapists.

Someone who burned down a building and someone died type crimes. We don’t have to send Jeffrey dahmer

so what? we can't get to them and they cost 1000x too much more than they're worth. we'll never travel any faster than we already can. The potential just aint there and never will be present.

so what? we can't get to them and they cost 1000x too much more than they're worth. we'll never travel any faster than we already can. The potential just aint there and never will be present.
What if our calculation is wrong? I heard it’s possible that it would be 80,000 years earth time but when you travel away from earth time slows down, or something like that.

So it wouldn’t actually take the travelers that long.

We must get off this rock. It has an expiration date.

Imagine if instead of building all the weapons, all the nuclear powers put that time money and energy into space travel? Imagine where we would be.

I argue that religion and the rich are behind this. In other words the original rulers that control the masses. During Plato’s day they could have pushed science but instead they chose to push religion to control the masses.

I feel the same way...

Most likely the only thing some other civilization could see from another solar system is our atmospheric output.
Yes, but the amount of oxygen would tell them life has developed here.

You know that woman who killed her one kid and put him in the freezer? And the other kids lived there knowing that kid was in the freezer. She claims the one she killed was molesting the baby but still to kill your kid?

Well, I could see her being selected for this trip. Except she’s too old. We would need to find someone like her only in their 20s.

No I change my mind. I disagree about selecting lifers. They’re too fucked up. Let’s take people who get 20 years for 2nd degree murder. I might opt for mars if I was going to prison for 20 years.

No rapists.

Someone who burned down a building and someone died type crimes. We don’t have to send Jeffrey dahmer
Totally disagree. Such people have little concept of actions and consequences. They would not long survive in an alien environment.

Much of what I see today was considered impossible in my childhood. Some things were not even considered. Like the device I am typing on.

I feel the same way...

Yes, but the amount of oxygen would tell them life has developed here.
Maybe they wouldn’t even notice us.

No rapists.

Totally disagree. Such people have little concept of actions and consequences. They would not long survive in an alien environment.
That was just an example.

Maybe we should send the worst of the worst. That way we don’t feel bad when we take over what they built

I just wonder how closely we're tracking the carbon footprints of these potentially habitable new worlds

Forum List

Back