Republicans propose declaring Idaho a 'Christian state'

Idaho cons will make the King James their state book, and then like Florida make it illegal to feed the homeless.

Certainly within the law, such an action will spark intense discussion, I think. Whether I agree or not, my left and right sides of the brain are in disagreement at the moment.

Republicans propose declaring Idaho a Christian state - Yahoo News

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross." Sinclair Lewis

"The state action requirement stems from the fact that the constitutional amendments which protect individual rights (especially the Bill of Rights and the 14th Amendment) are mostly phrased as prohibitions against government action. For example, the First Amendment states that “[c]ongress shall make no law” infringing upon the freedoms of speech and religion. Because of this requirement, it is impossible for private parties (citizens or corporations) to violate these amendments, and all lawsuits alleging constitutional violations of this type must show how the government (state or federal) was responsible for the violation of their rights. This is referred to as the state action requirement. "
State Action Requirement Wex Legal Dictionary Encyclopedia LII Legal Information Institute

Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

In other words, not Congress nor sub-Congressional level entities or individuals can make a law respecting any particular religion.

Certainly within the law, such an action will spark intense discussion, I think. Whether I agree or not, my left and right sides of the brain are in disagreement at the moment.

No, jakey. It's not within the 'Law'

This is where all you dimocraps need an education.

The original Constitution did not discourage States from establishing a State Religion. Check it out. Many States had an established religion.

The Constitution simply forbade the FEDERAL Government from establishing a NATIONAL Religion, a la Europe.

It all went to shit later on, in the late 19th and mid 20th Centuries when Mormonism and Jehovah's Witness groups filed suits and ended up in the SCOTUS and the Supremes ciited the 14th Amendment (the worst one of them all, including the one banning alcohol)

Which is fine with me. I don't think ANY State or Municipality should enact an Established Religion.... Or even a 'favored' religion (again, a la Euro-Weenies)

You're welcome.

Keep reading me, I'll have your IQs up to room temperature in no time.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross." Sinclair Lewis

"The state action requirement stems from the fact that the constitutional amendments which protect individual rights (especially the Bill of Rights and the 14th Amendment) are mostly phrased as prohibitions against government action. For example, the First Amendment states that “[c]ongress shall make no law” infringing upon the freedoms of speech and religion. Because of this requirement, it is impossible for private parties (citizens or corporations) to violate these amendments, and all lawsuits alleging constitutional violations of this type must show how the government (state or federal) was responsible for the violation of their rights. This is referred to as the state action requirement. "
State Action Requirement Wex Legal Dictionary Encyclopedia LII Legal Information Institute

Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

In other words, not Congress nor sub-Congressional level entities or individuals can make a law respecting any particular religion.

Lewis was so dead wrong in that statement. It should have read ""When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in govt and carrying the guise of freedom"

• Banned
Edgetho missed the point as he tap danced right across it. Yes, Idaho can make such a law until SCOTUS decides if it cannot.

Edge, you are no sort of Constitutional expert, except the worst kind of ideologue that puts belief in front of critical thinking.

Lewis was so dead wrong in that statement. It should have read ""When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in govt and carrying the guise of freedom"

Sinclair Lewis was a complete and utter douchebag.

You, like Where_r_my_Keys, are certainly entitled to your worthless opinions, and neither of you are any sort of authority on the Constitution and how it works.

The resolution to be voted on by the Kootenai County Republican Central Committee is non-binding, meaning it does not have the effect of laws or rules

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZz

Are they also planning to rewrite the Constitution?

Anyone who says RWs "love" the US hasn't been paying attention.

It's an informality and a direct response to constant left wing attacks. Sorry if they aren't bending over and spreading their cheeks enough for you.

The real interesting question is this: If the resolution passes, does it establish Idaho as a Christian state?

If not, then the resolution is a lie.
If so, then it is de facto binding.

Let them pass their meaningless and nonbinding resolution. It has zero effect on the law and is nothing more than lame attempt at pandering.

Forum List

Back