Republicans fight to hide chemical industry is killing Americans

Bfgrn

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2009
politico_logo.gif

How Senator Vitter Battled the EPA Over Formaldehyde’s Link to Cancer

vitter-fema-trailer-475px.jpg

Sen. David Vitter, R-La., has pushed the EPA to slow its process of updating its 20-year-old health assessment of formaldehyde. After Hurricane Katrina, thousands of his state's residents said they suffered respiratory problems after being housed in government trailers contaminated with formaldehyde. (Left: A child looks out of a FEMA trailer in Port Sulphur, La. May 2008 photo by Mario Tama/Getty Images)

When Sen. David Vitter persuaded the EPA to agree to yet another review of its long-delayed assessment of the health risks of formaldehyde, he was praised by companies that use or manufacture a chemical found in everything from plywood to carpet.

As long as the studies continue, the EPA will still list formaldehyde as a "probable" rather than a "known" carcinogen, even though three major scientific reviews now link it to leukemia and have strengthened its ties to other forms of cancer. The chemical industry is fighting to avoid that designation, because it could lead to tighter regulations and require costly pollution controls.

"Delay means money. The longer they can delay labeling something a known carcinogen, the more money they can make," said James Huff, associate director for chemical carcinogenesis at the National Institute for Environmental Health Sciences in the Department of Health and Human Services.
---
Vitter’s ties to the formaldehyde industry are well known. According to Talking Points Memo, his election campaign received about $20,500 last year from companies that produce large amounts of formaldehyde waste in Louisiana. But ProPublica found that Vitter actually took in nearly twice that amount if contributions from other companies, trade groups and lobbyists with interests in formaldehyde regulation are included. Among those contributors is Charles Grizzle, a top-paid lobbyist for the Formaldehyde Council, an industry trade group that had long sought a National Academy review of the chemical.

inhofe-275px.jpg

Sen. James Inhofe persuaded the EPA to delay its formaldehyde risk assessment in 2004. (Getty Images file photo)

Congress stalled the formaldehyde risk assessment once before. In 2004, Sen. James Inhofe, R-Okla., persuaded the EPA to delay it, even though preliminary findings from a National Cancer Institute study had already linked formaldehyde to leukemia. Inhofe insisted that the EPA wait for a more "robust set of findings" from the institute.

Koch Industries, a large chemical manufacturer and one of Inhofe’s biggest campaign contributors, gave Inhofe $6,000 that year. That same year Koch bought two pulp mills from Georgia-Pacific, a major formaldehyde producer and one of the world’s largest plywood manufacturers. The next year Koch bought all of Georgia-Pacific.

Whenever a separation is made between liberty and justice, neither, in my opinion, is safe.
Edmund Burke

Not a peep from you right wing pea brains?

Why is it every time Republicans are involved human beings suffer and die?

Money is the most important thing.

The plastic industry has some skeletons they pay to keep hidden as well.

Bfgrn go drink a bottle of formaldehyde, let us know if anything bad happens, but not right away

There was actually a right winger on another board that posted that a little mercury won't hurt anyone.
And bragged how he had played with it and such.
Kinda explains why he is a rightwingnut.

Why is Obama such a fucking pussy? Why does he not just pass a law against getting sick or dying?

Don't do anything!

Don't touch anything!

Don't Eat Anything!!

Don't drink anything!

Don't even breath until you get an "All Clear" from your Government!

good gawd are liberals a bunch of pussies.

and don't forget, EVERYTHING WRONG IN THE COUNTRY TODAY, is the fault of a Republican.:lol:

BFgrn, your keyboard may contain dangerous chemicals, do not go near it until I tell you it's safe!

OK?

Don't do anything!

Don't touch anything!

Don't Eat Anything!!

Don't drink anything!

Yell and scream all you want asshole, there is NO excuse for Vitter and Inhofe's disregard for the health and well being of their constituents.

It is not what a lawyer tells me I may do; but what humanity, reason, and justice tell me I ought to do.
Edmund Burke

Don't do anything!

Don't touch anything!

Don't Eat Anything!!

Don't drink anything!

Yell and scream all you want asshole, there is NO excuse for Vitter and Inhofe's disregard for the health and well being of their constituents.

It is not what a lawyer tells me I may do; but what humanity, reason, and justice tell me I ought to do.
Edmund Burke

YOU STUPID FUCK!! I TOLD YOU YOUR KEYBOARD MIGHT HAVE DANGEROUS CHEMICALS!!

You stupid stupid fuck!

Say 10 Hail Obama's and 15 Praise Allahs and you might be saved

What do you think your keyboard is made of, wood?

and don't forget, EVERYTHING WRONG IN THE COUNTRY TODAY, is the fault of a Republican.:lol:

Hey, I have trailers you clowns can vacation in. Dirt cheap. Only been used once. Bought with no bid contracts Republicans gave to their "friends". Considering how honest Republicans are, I'm sure the "stories" are greatly exaggerated.

060725_femaTrailers_hmed_10a.hmedium.jpg

Are FEMA trailers ?toxic tin cans?? - Katrina, The Long Road Back- msnbc.com

And all but four of the trailers have tested higher than the 0.1 parts per million that the EPA considers to be an “elevated level” capable of causing watery eyes, burning in the eyes and throat, nausea, and respiratory distress in some people.

Hey, I have trailers you clowns can vacation in. Dirt cheap. Only been used once. Bought with no bid contracts Republicans gave to their "friends". Considering how honest Republicans are, I'm sure the "stories" are greatly exaggerated.

060725_femaTrailers_hmed_10a.hmedium.jpg

Are FEMA trailers ?toxic tin cans?? - Katrina, The Long Road Back- msnbc.com

And all but four of the trailers have tested higher than the 0.1 parts per million that the EPA considers to be an “elevated level” capable of causing watery eyes, burning in the eyes and throat, nausea, and respiratory distress in some people.

simply thing to do about it, Don't friggen ACCEPT OR EXPECT ONE. duh.

Dems are "God's partners in matters of life and death" so of course we're correct to defer to them in these matters

Dems are "God's partners in matters of life and death" so of course we're correct to defer to them in these matters

well of course they are, and we now have a Democrat Messiah as President, so we must ACCEPT anything he and his comrades in arms says.

well of course they are, and we now have a Democrat Messiah as President, so we must ACCEPT anything he and his comrades in arms says.

According to the white wing, Katrina happened because Gawd wanted to stop the Gay Pride Parade in New Orleans. You would think Republicans, the party of Jesus, would want to help out straight people who weren't marching but who had their homes destroyed by a Category 4 hurricane sent by Gawd. Guess not.

Oh wait, they did help. They sent poison.

Forum List

Back