Republicans Don't Play Chicken With The Debt Ceiling!

They’ll fold, they always do. Not before the kabuki performance though.
The problem though, is if it last 35 days like the last shutdown, it plays havoc with peoples lives and has real effects.

We've spent more money on Ukraine than on our own infrastructure in the last year!!

CUT THE SPENDING!!!
SO.
At least we spent some $$$, on infrastructure.
You know how much Trump and his cult spent on infrastructure, in four years? 0

Republicans whining about Ukraine......again, it's like they're defending Russia.

February 28 2022
Georgia Republican U.S. Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene headlined a white nationalist conference in Florida where attendees cheered Russia's invasion of Ukraine and chanted the name of President Vladimir Putin shortly before she was introduced.
AFPAC opened with Fuentes soliciting a round of applause from the crowd for Russia’s invasion of Ukraine. The white nationalists chanted in response, “Putin! Putin! Putin!”

In his closing speech, Nick Fuentes said “the United States is the evil empire in the world.”

“Now, they’re going and saying, “‘Vladimir Putin is Adolf Hitler,’ as if that isn’t a good thing,” he said, before chuckling a rehearsed nervous laugh and adding, “Oops, I shouldn’t have said that.”
America and the world has forgotten about them, but not us,” he continued. “You know, they say about America, they say, ‘Diversity is our strength,’ you know. And I look at China and I look at Russia, who—can we give a round of applause for Russia?”

At this, the crowd roared and began chanting: “Putin! Putin!” Fuentes applauded and laughed, saying: “Absolutely, absolutely.”

I've been explaining for YEARS just how easy it is to reduce spending to such a degree that it would create a huge surplus, which would allow lowering tax rates for everyone at the same time, with the additional bonus of reforming campaign finance.

1. Ban all tax expenditures. This alone would cut $1.4 trillion of spending every year.

2. Raise the Social Security and Medicare eligibility ages to 70, and index them to 9 percent of the population going forward. We are living longer, we should be working longer.

Easy peasy.

Our politicians are too chickenshit and too corrupt to do these things. But we should be going after them with pitchforks and torches until they do.

tl;dr

Submit and sign a balanced budget.

Problem solved.
A balanced budget does not redress the national debt.

The threat of default is not a valid or effective political weapon.

Americans do not support Republicans playing chicken with the nation's good faith and credit. It's reckless and irresponsible.

Screen Shot 2023-02-06 at 3.34.02 PM.png

The public takes Biden's side in the debt ceiling debate, with broad support for handling debt payments and federal spending as separate issues, along with extensive worry about the impacts of a default. The GOP leadership also faces skepticism about its probe of anti-conservative bias in federal agencies; most see this as an attempt to score political points, not a legitimate inquiry.

Biden has a wide advantage on one urgent and contentious issue, the debt ceiling. Just 26% of Americans adopt McCarthy's position that Congress should allow the government to pay its debts only if the administration agrees to cut federal spending. A broad 65% instead align with Biden's view that the issues of debt payment and federal spending should be handled separately.

Even among Republicans, fewer than half – 48% – support coupling debt payment with cuts in federal spending. That drops to 22% among independents and 10% of Democrats.

Underlying these results is broad worry about the consequences of default: A vast 82% are very or somewhat worried that a government default would damage the economy. That includes a majority, 53%, at the top end of the scale, "very" concerned.

Notably, this concern is bipartisan – about eight in 10 adults across the political spectrum are concerned about the economic impacts of a default, and being very concerned peaks among Republicans, at 59%.

That said, about two-thirds of Americans favor separate discussion of the debt limit and federal spending regardless of whether they're more or less worried about the impacts of nonpayment.

[https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/poli...t-risk-in-political-disputes-poll/ar-AA179EL4]​

* The empirical reality is that roughly 25% of our total national debt incurred over the last 230 years actually occurred during the 4 years of the Trump regime. When Trump was sworn into office in January 2017, the national debt stood at $19.9 trillion. By November 2020, the debt had increased to over $27 trillion. Under Trump, Republicans voted to raise the debt ceiling three times.

Screen Shot 2023-02-06 at 3.59.22 PM.png

Reagan raised the debt ceiling 18 times.

I jumped the GOP ship in '83 because of pres. Ray Guns debt spending. As I predicted the 'Ray Gun' kept spending like a drunken sailor. The Lp came along & fished me out of the water. I was with our Libertarian party USA for 31 yrs. until they drifted left too far for me. Either way the pendulum swings regarding debt spending the American constituency is going to feel it big time. Social programs + the D.C. gangs world cop program broke the bank. As usual it will be the American constituency that takes it in the shorts. With a divided American constituency helpless against the D.C. gang look for a MAJOR drop in the standard of living for the 'common folks' in America. To quote an old saying; "Life's a bitch, then ya die!" Just the way it is.

I jumped the GOP ship in '83 because of pres. Ray Guns debt spending. As I predicted the 'Ray Gun' kept spending like a drunken sailor. The Lp came along & fished me out of the water. I was with our Libertarian party USA for 31 yrs. until they drifted left too far for me. Either way the pendulum swings regarding debt spending the American constituency is going to feel it big time. Social programs + the D.C. gangs world cop program broke the bank. As usual it will be the American constituency that takes it in the shorts. With a divided American constituency helpless against the D.C. gang look for a MAJOR drop in the standard of living for the 'common folks' in America. To quote an old saying; "Life's a bitch, then ya die!" Just the way it is.
Who had the House when Reagan was President? For the 1st 2 years it was all Democrats, and the last two had Republican Senate.

Debt ceiling? More like debt suggestion...

It's incredible how "MAD with bonds" (american debt in chinese hands) becomes the perfect excuse to completely destroy whatever fiscal responsibility had remained in the establishment

Forum List

Back