Reporting of military sex assaults up

&

☭proletarian☭

WASHINGTON - The number of sexual assaults reported in the U.S. military rose 11 percent last year, the Defense Department said Tuesday, but Pentagon officials conceded that they still don't know how common sexual assaults are because many troops fear retribution if the attacks come to the attention of their commanders.
Despite the suspected under- reporting, sexual assault is more common in the military than it is among the civilian population, the report suggests - two for every 1,000 service members, versus 1.8 per 1,000 civilian women and one per 1,000 civilian men, according to statistics compiled by the Family Violence Prevention Fund.
During the past year, the Defense Department has campaigned to encourage victims of sexual assault to come forward, and officials said they think that effort led to the increase.
"Our goal was to get more people to report" assaults, said Kaye Whitley, the director of the Defense Department's sexual assault prevention and response office, which compiled the report.
Women in the military, in particular, are reluctant to come forward for fear of appearing weak or being ostracized for reporting a fellow soldier, Pentagon officials say. Many women also complain that they've been accused of being gay under the military's "don't ask, don't tell" policy after rebuffing unwanted advances from their male colleagues.
Since 2005, the military has tried to overcome that reluctance by creating two categories of reporting. So-called "unrestricted" cases are reported to the victim's superiors, and an investigation is launched. In "restricted" cases, the victim's commanders aren't notified and there's no further investigation, but the victim can receive medical and mental-health care.
Both categories rose in 2009, the Pentagon's report showed - with restricted reports numbering 837 in 2009, compared with 753 in 2008. Unrestricted reports rose to 2,516 from 2,265.
Of the unrestricted reports, 2,061 involved men assaulting women, up more than 10 percent from 1,864 in 2008. The number of men reporting assaults by other men also rose, to 173 in 2009 from 123 in 2008, a 40 percent increase. There was a single report of a woman being assaulted by a woman; there was none in 2008.

Doesn't surprise me. This one of those ugly side effects of war. I am not saying that as an excuse, but it a reason.

Doesn't surprise me. This one of those ugly side effects of war. I am not saying that as an excuse, but it a reason.
Do you really think the incident rate is up, or is it largely an increase in reporting?

They say it's higher than the general populace, but only by .2 points- easily accounted for by those in the general populace who might be inclined to attack but who are physically unable.

I don't think it speaks to war increasing rape among American troops so much as it speaks of the military not successfully producing soldiers who adhere to higher moral standards than the general populace. I wonder how this might relate to the military's accepting of gang members (see stories on American gangs in Iraq) and other less desirable in order to meet personnel demands worldwide.

☭proletarian☭;2107262 said:
Do you really think the incident rate is up, or is it largely an increase in reporting?

They say it's higher than the general populace, but only by .2 points- easily accounted for by those in the general populace who might be inclined to attack but who are physically unable.

I don't think it speaks to war increasing rape among American troops so much as it speaks of the military not successfully producing soldiers who adhere to higher moral standards than the general populace. I wonder how this might relate to the military's accepting of gang members (see stories on American gangs in Iraq) and other less desirable in order to meet personnel demands worldwide.

The bolded part is bullshit. Rape is about power. War is about power. You see the correlation? War makes you pissed off and it is hard for soldiers to deal with that. If anything, this shows the military not doing enough to help soldiers re-acclimate to normal life.

The bolded part is bullshit. Rape is about power. War is about power. You see the correlation? War makes you pissed off and it is hard for soldiers to deal with that. If anything, this shows the military not doing enough to help soldiers re-acclimate to normal life.

How do you figure the last part? Rapes within the military occur prior to retirement and reintegration into civilian life. Else t wouldn't be rape in the military, but rape by a veteran. That rape occurs in the military occurs at a rate comparable to the civilian world stands as evidence that the military is failing in its efforts to produce soldiers who adhere to higher moral standards. If, as you imply, they are also failing to produce soldiers who are able to handle the stress of war or are failing to adequately relieve distressed soldiers, that doesn't invalidate my point but merely becomes an addition problem to be addressed.

What crap. The rapes aren't occurring after they return to normal life, they're occurring when they're serving, and the rapes are soldier on soldier....male soldiers on female ones.

What crap. The rapes aren't occurring after they return to normal life, they're occurring when they're serving, and the rapes are soldier on soldier....male soldiers on female ones.

I am simply trying to understand. Same as you.

You weren't trying to understand anything. You were making moronic statements about not realizing this is about rape in the military and attacking another user whilst you paraded your ignorance around.

☭proletarian☭;2107363 said:
You weren't trying to understand anything. You were making moronic statements about not realizing this is about rape in the military and attacking another user whilst you paraded your ignorance around.

Really? Who did I attack?

Forum List

Back