Report: NBA players can replace name on jerseys with social justice statement

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
This isn't competitive sports anymore, it's just a medium to promote any well funded message. Big pocket political donors behind the scenes are already planning ideas, and players will be selling these names for their own benefit.

Remember, just as silencing conservatives on social media was about "addressing racism", they will use the same excuse for this. Wait until the messages become "Support Planned Parenthood", "Make Peace With China" or, "Vote Democrat in November".

Will it still be about social justice? Mark this posting, you can bet it is going to happen.

Report: NBA players can replace name on jerseys with social justice statement - Sportsnet.ca

When basketball resumes, NBA players will be allowed to replace the last name on their jerseys with a statement on social justice, according to Shams Charania of The Athletic.

The NBPA provided players with the initial details of this plan on Saturday night, Charania reported, as the latest step in discussions between the NBA and players union regarding various ways players can advocate for social justice during the season restart.

Earlier this month, Kyrie Irving led a players-only conference call centred on unity, systemic racism and investing in communities with over 80 basketball players from the NBA and WNBA, according to multiple reports, which sparked broader conversations over how the NBA’s return-to-play plan may impact the current racial justice movement across the United States.

This isn't competitive sports anymore, it's just a medium to promote any well funded message. Big pocket political donors behind the scenes are already planning ideas, and players will be selling these names for their own benefit.

You must hate capitalism..

It is mildly amusing that so many people pay so much attention to so many hugely overpaid athletes on teams with names of cities and areas from which none or very few originate or even live in. How this relates to a "normal" person's life escapes logic.
If it were the players from one's hometown in competition with neighbors, relating to it could make sense.
Similarly "stock car" racing might be interesting if the day of the race the vehicles were procured without previous notice from dealerships and then put up one against the other. That might prove something.

I hate indoctrination. I'm wise enough now to know how this racket is going to unfold, when I was watching sports religiously as a young man and especially as a kid, I wouldn't be able to appreciate how the world works and I would consume their message more faithfully without questioning (or knowing how to question). That's the idea for some I'm sure. "Educate them", when they are young.

Just as Hollywood stars had been trying this with their speeches, now athletes will do this at work. I will wait until some controversy occurs and see how fans react. Maybe sports will be replaced by youtube stars or E-Gaming.

Last edited:

I hate indoctrination. I'm wise enough now to know how this racket is going to unfold, when I was watching sports religiously as a young man and especially as a kid, I wouldn't be able to appreciate how the world works and I would consume their message more faithfully without questioning (or knowing how to question). That's the idea for some I'm sure. "Educate them", when they are young.

Just as Hollywood stars had been trying this with their speeches, now athletes will do this at work. I will wait until some controversy occurs and see how fans react. Maybe sports will be replaced by youtube stars or E-Gaming.
Hmm, most kids have parents, too.

Happy that I stopped watching the NBA a while back.

The resonating message that should be on every sport commissioner's mind at this point is just how little sports in general is missed--the NBA and NHL in particular. It simply doesn't register.

61pn7SnxDwL._AC_UL1080_.jpg

Yet another peaceful protest the right disapproves of.
Enjoy the "riots."

Yet another peaceful protest the right disapproves of.
Enjoy the "riots."

This was always bound to expand well beyond just taking a knee, which began when Obama was in office, it's now become a political tool by the alt-left. Maybe foreign interests will be met by some of these "protests", mostly by people who don't even realize they are a tool doing someone elses bidding.

This younger generation understands technology, but they are no better equipped to critically assess the world any more than those of the same age in generations past did. Always follow the money.

This was always bound to expand well beyond just taking a knee, which began when Obama was in office, it's now become a political tool by the alt-left.
They took a knee for a reason. To protest they way blacks are treated in this country. The reaction from the right was that they were disrespecting the flag. Had they taken it serious back then and ACTUALLY DID SOMETHING ABOUT IT, we wouldn't be where we are today. I have been saying this all along, when they tortured and murdered George Floyd, they opened up pandoras box. Things are changing and will continue to change.

I have started my own protest. I am a very in demand bassist. I have several bands and I'm also a hired gun. My new policy is if the bar owner is a racist or Trump supporter I will not play at the venue. I'm encouraging my fellow musicians of color to do the same. This shit has to end. I'm sure trumpers will call me un-American but whatev. It seems anything we do other than 'shut our fucking mouths and do what we are told' will be met with hate.

Yeah, let's see how the NBA reacts when a jersey has a message critical of China's Honk Kong response on it. I would love to see if this is a two-way street.

How about a statement concerning how women are treated in the world?

I refuse to wear a T-shit with WORDS on it----or a
logo on it. Colors are ok if the do not form a
political or creed pattern.

Remember, just as silencing conservatives on social media was about "addressing racism", they will use the same excuse for this. Wait until the messages become "Support Planned Parenthood", "Make Peace With China" or, "Vote Democrat in November".

Will it still be about social justice? Mark this posting, you can bet it is going to happen.

Report: NBA players can replace name on jerseys with social justice statement - Sportsnet.ca

When basketball resumes, NBA players will be allowed to replace the last name on their jerseys with a statement on social justice, according to Shams Charania of The Athletic.

The NBPA provided players with the initial details of this plan on Saturday night, Charania reported, as the latest step in discussions between the NBA and players union regarding various ways players can advocate for social justice during the season restart.

Earlier this month, Kyrie Irving led a players-only conference call centred on unity, systemic racism and investing in communities with over 80 basketball players from the NBA and WNBA, according to multiple reports, which sparked broader conversations over how the NBA’s return-to-play plan may impact the current racial justice movement across the United States.

Any white fan that continues to support the sport, is a cuck.

New Topics

Forum List

Back