Report: EU building hundreds of illegal structures for Palestinians in Area C of West Bank

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
The EU is establishing facts on the ground in the West Bank, building hundreds of illegal structures near Ma'ale Adumim and E1 which the government does not remove because it does not want a diplomatic tangle with the Europeans, according to a report released by Regavim.

This report is just one of a number that Regavim, a right-wing organization which describes itself as a “research backed, legal advocacy organization focused on land ownership issues,” has released in recent months.

According to the group, EU support for the Palestinians has in recent years moved from “passive diplomatic and financial assistance to a situation of active cooperation in illegal building which the Palestinian Authority has been advancing unilaterally since 2000, as part of its strategic plan to create a Palestinian state de facto, while avoiding the need for negotiations with Israel.”

This week, prior to its release of its newest report, Regavim took journalists to look at a number of Beduin encampments straddling E1 as well as the Jerusalem-Jericho road. These are not temporary tent encampments as they were in years past, but rather clusters that -- in addition to tents and tin shacks -- also include more permanent structures bearing the EU logo.

According to Ari Briggs, Regavim’s international relations director, the EU logo is placed on the structures in the belief that this will prevent Israel from demolishing them.

Israel will likely not take down a building with an EU logo, because of public relations damage this would cause, as well as concern for the harm this could cause to relations with the EU, he said.

Mak.-Gen Yoav Mordechai, the Coordinator of Government Activities in the Territories (COGAT), was in Europe this week holding talks with high level EU officials, with this issue – according to one diplomatic source – one of the topics of his conversations.

A spokesperson for COGAT, referring to the Regavim charge that it is reluctant to take down the structures because of the EU involvement, said, “The Civil Administration acts against illegal construction, and no organization is exempt from enforcement. COGAT has sent official letters to embassies and international organizations cautioning them against building illegally in Judea and Samaria.”
Report EU building hundreds of illegal structures for Palestinians in Area C of West Bank - Arab-Israeli Conflict - Jerusalem Post

How's that water coming along?

How about the purchasing olive tree scam?

No. It's not hilarious. Pay attention. Did you buy your olive trees?:eusa_whistle:

Except that it is now a part of international law and they need a permit to build. They didn't get that.

Now that is absolutely hilarious, given the decades of illegal building of settlements by Israel.

Ever heard of the Oslo Accords that show the settlements are not illegal.

Another fail by Abdul when he toes the party line.

"How about a non partisan source for your claim of Oslo having expired............."

Phoney, you are our greatest ally.

"JERUSALEM (CNN) -- Chanting "Statehood is our right," Palestinian protesters clashed with Israeli soldiers Tuesday as the expiration of the Oslo peace accords passed without the declaration of a Palestinian state."

CNN - Oslo accords expire without Palestinian state - May 4 1999

Except Area C is still considered under Israel until the agreement has been reached. Hence, my last link.

Except Area C is still considered under Israel until the agreement has been reached. Hence, my last link.
Area C is occupied Palestinian territory.

Article 53.
TREATIES CONFLICTING WITH A PEREMPTORY NORM OF GENERAL INTERNATIONAL LAW ("JUS COGENS")
A treaty is void if, at the time of its conclusion, it conflicts with a peremptory norm of general international law.

https://treaties.un.org/doc/Publication/UNTS/Volume 1155/volume-1155-I-18232-English.pdf

You can't duck the law by having someone sign a piece of paper.

Article 53.
TREATIES CONFLICTING WITH A PEREMPTORY NORM OF GENERAL INTERNATIONAL LAW ("JUS COGENS")
A treaty is void if, at the time of its conclusion, it conflicts with a peremptory norm of general international law.

https://treaties.un.org/doc/Publication/UNTS/Volume 1155/volume-1155-I-18232-English.pdf

Israel didn't duck the law here. The EU did. That's the problem.

Article 53.

How so?

Article 53.

How so?

Again. Area C is under Israeli control. The EU knows it and in fact used that in the prior paper. As it stands the EU did not get permits.

Forum List

Back