Reparations for blacks topic at Bay Area events

Stephanie

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
[/COLOR]By Hanna Tamrat, STAFF WRITER
Article Last Updated:11/03/2006 02:58:59 AM PST

OAKLAND — Political and social activists, historians and educators from the United States and around the world are gathering in the Bay Area this weekend to discuss reparations for slavery of African people and colonialism in Africa.
"The wealth of the West is built on slavery of African people," said Penny Hess, chairwoman of the African People Solidarity Committee. "White people need to recognize it and support (reparations)."

Hess is one of nine speakers during the two-day event set for Saturday in Oakland and Sunday in San Francisco. The event celebrates African People Solidarity Day and calls for the white community to be involved in the Uhuru movement, the liberation of Africa and African people.

The Solidarity Committee, with a majority white membership, was formed in 1976 to support the black movement.

Helping to ease hardship in Africa should go beyond charity concerts and adoption of African children by movie stars, Hess said.

It is about a movement that recognizes resources that sustain the Western economy — including oil, diamonds and coltan (a mineral used in the high-technology industry) — come at the expense of African laborers, who work for the equivalent of $2 per day, she said.

"The question of reparations is so deep," Hess said, adding she thinks reparations should include the cost of damages for torture and lynching of blacks in the United States during and since slavery.Both the black and white communities
need to be educated about reparations, said Robert Smith, a political science professor at San Francisco State University.
"(The issue of reparations) has ambivalence in the black community," he said. "In fact, some black people oppose it ... They think it's very unlikely to happen."

Smith, who authored several books, including "Racism in the Post-Civil Rights Era: Now You See It, Now You Don't" and "We Have No Leaders: African Americans in the Post-Civil Rights Era," will speak at the event.

In the United States, the question of reparations is gaining popularity with cities across the country, including Oakland and Berkeley, passing ordinances requiring financial entities to disclose whether they or their parent companies ever profited from the slave trade. The ordinances also set the stage for companies to contribute to a voluntary fund to be spent in economically depressed areas. :food1:

At the international level, a coalition of organizations and individuals from various nations have scheduled a tribunal in June in Berlin for reparations against the United States, Europe and other nations.

Other speakers at the Bay Area events include keynote speaker Omali Yeshitela, leader of the Uhuru movement in the United States; Lumezi Kinshasa from Britain; Sibusiso Xaba from South Africa; Aisha Fields, who coordinates West African projects for Uhuru; Syllah Bacarra from Venezuela; Pierre LaBossiere, an Oakland-based Haitian activist; Omavi Bailey with Uhuru; and Union Del Barrio of San Diego.

Solidarity Day events, also taking place in Boston, St. Petersburg, Fla., and Philadelphia, are fundraisers for projects in West Africa, such as electrical infrastructure and water purification.

The Oakland event will be held from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday at Humanist Hall, 390 27th St. The San Francisco event is 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday at The Women's Building, 3543 18th St. Donations of $5 or more are accepted to attend the events, but no one will be turned away for lack of funds, Hess tidhttp

And don't forget, whether your family owned a slave or not.......YOU SHOULD PAY SOMEONE............FOR IT......"JUST BECAUSE.:duh3:

http://www.insidebayarea.com/oaklandtribune/ci_4596668

I'll pay reparations to a black family for slavery as soon as a black family pays reparations to me for the "Buffalo Soldiers" that slaughtered my Cheyenne and Cherokee ancestors.

I'll pay reparations to a black family for slavery as soon as a black family pays reparations to me for the "Buffalo Soldiers" that slaughtered my Cheyenne and Cherokee ancestors.

I'm willing to pay reparations to ANY former slave victimized by legal slavery in the US. Show me one.

I'm willing to pay for one, one-way ticket to Africa for anyone who thinks his/her life is horrible here in the US as a result of legal slavery a century and a half ago and before. I urge others to make the same offer. Feel victimized being here? Here's your ticket to somewhere else.

This is nothing more than a ploy to extort money and only nimrids can't see it and deserve to be fleeced. Unfortunately, they take the rest of us down with them.

And ANYONE voting for reparations has lost my vote, period, regardless party affiliation.

Why aren't women asking for repartations? Lawd knows we taken enough shit of our mens folk.

Any women that has ever had a husband, boyfriend, guy that just likes you, guy that winks at you in the bar has had their reparations paid and then some. Free dinner, free drinks, flowers, jewelry, candy, etc. You women folk need to be getting back to the kitchen and working off them there freebies. ;)

• Thanks
Reactions: Nuc
Any women that has ever had a husband, boyfriend, guy that just likes you, guy that winks at you in the bar has had their reparations paid and then some. Free dinner, free drinks, flowers, jewelry, candy, etc. You women folk need to be getting back to the kitchen and working off them there freebies. ;)

Pfffff....I burned my bra yrs ago......:boobies:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the country of Liberia supposed to be a home for American blacks who wanted to 'return to Africa?' If so, that worked out for them real well, didn't it? The whole place is a dictatorial cesspool of disease, war, and genocide.

• Thanks
Reactions: Nuc
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the country of Liberia supposed to be a home for American blacks who wanted to 'return to Africa?' If so, that worked out for them real well, didn't it? The whole place is a dictatorial cesspool of disease, war, and genocide.

Sounds like New Orleans. :D Or any other major US urban area.:afro:

A frickin mazing. If folks whose ancestors were treated wrongly all get money then I want some. Where do I sign up for the devastateingly handsome middle class white guy reparations? I've obviously lived a life of privelege and simply cannot adapt. Show me the money ............

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
I am sick and tired of all this hate. Lets blame whitey for something our ancestors suffered! Or Lets blame the black man for being "lazy"

Please. Stop blaming and accusing people of crap. its in the past grow up and get over it.

I am sick and tired of all this hate. Lets blame whitey for something our ancestors suffered! Or Lets blame the black man for being "lazy"

Please. Stop blaming and accusing people of crap. its in the past grow up and get over it.

Unfortunately Avatar, I don't think it will stop.....But we can hope, I guess...

Furthermore we are all individuals NOW and we are all responsible for our own lives NOW.

Go push a basketball out your ass, then get back to me. :boohoo:

:laugh:

New Topics

Forum List

Back