Renewables dominate

if renewables dominate why won't I be able to by a car with an ICE in it starting in 2035?
Ask Ford and GM. And where do you get that information? Now there may be cities that won't let you drive your filth spewing gas guzzler in them, but I have seen nothing proposed that would totally outlaw the building of ICE vehicles in the US. Of course, they will cost a lot more than a better quality EV by then, so only stupid asses will be buying them.

Ask Ford and GM. And where do you get that information? Now there may be cities that won't let you drive your filth spewing gas guzzler in them, but I have seen nothing proposed that would totally outlaw the building of ICE vehicles in the US. Of course, they will cost a lot more than a better quality EV by then, so only stupid asses will be buying them.

New York Governor Hochul signs law phasing out ICE vehicles in 2035 - Charged EVs

If renewables and things like electric cars are "the future" why does government have to force them on people?

Sorry, but until I can charge an electric just as fast as I fill up a gas tank, I won't buy one.

New York Governor Hochul signs law phasing out ICE vehicles in 2035 - Charged EVs

If renewables and things like electric cars are "the future" why does government have to force them on people?

Sorry, but until I can charge an electric just as fast as I fill up a gas tank, I won't buy one.
That's fine with me. As my present vehicles expire, I will replace them with EV's. Because of economy, and the fact I really don't like contributing to the present climate change.

That's fine with me. As my present vehicles expire, I will replace them with EV's. Because of economy, and the fact I really don't like contributing to the present climate change.

So a bit of the smug then?

South Park is just as good as Orwell in predicting the future.

So why does NY feel the need to force EV's on me? You didn't answer my question.

Sad to say, but you are pretty much a dumb fuck. Do you understand exponential curves?

Hey Dumb fuck, let me explain a few things to you about exponential curves---
  • The fact that 10% of the global demand is through solar and wind now is grand. I hope it eventually reaches 90% and ends up much cheaper than fossil fuels, too!
  • I never want to see wind farms in my backyard though much less even on my horizon, and solar panels baking on a house's roof is ugly at best and hilarious as mere lumps under 6 inches of snow.
  • Nothing about a generic exponential curve much less the one you show predicts nor demands that the curve will be followed in the future or go on indefinitely; that will also be affected by how much is already invested, local and other budgets, the economy, cost of operation, and percentage of total completed.
The ultimate expression of solar's viability will be development of a viable, highly adaptable, and durable coating technology that can be put on well most ANYTHING making most things needing power to actually have a photovoltaic skin which powers itself, and charges itself just sitting around in ordinary light and is durable and long-lived, and is able to store that energy both lightly and cheaply.

It is yet to be seen though both the ultimate affordability of "renewable" energy in creating it as well as depending on it long term for most of our needs, as well as how much of the total global average can be practically supported by solar and wind technology, but the goal is not to get there any way we can but to get there as much as is practical in terms of cost and location. The Earth will take care of itself.

Rocks is always posting up some silly-ass schematic from some organization nobody ever heard of. d0y

Here is what the US Govt EIA says.......solar and wind will be a joke for decades. By the time it even gets anywhere near 50%, most everybody in this forum will be in their box. Most notably......China will still be burning coal like it is going out of style.......not even debatable.

https://www.eia.gov/outlooks/aeo/pdf/04 AEO2021 Electricity.pdf

I support renewable energy

whale-oil-d25b8734-2c73-4784-87bc-5dcf96667a8-resize-750.png

Hey Dumb fuck, let me explain a few things to you about exponential curves---
  • The fact that 10% of the global demand is through solar and wind now is grand. I hope it eventually reaches 90% and ends up much cheaper than fossil fuels, too!
  • I never want to see wind farms in my backyard though much less even on my horizon, and solar panels baking on a house's roof is ugly at best and hilarious as mere lumps under 6 inches of snow.
  • Nothing about a generic exponential curve much less the one you show predicts nor demands that the curve will be followed in the future or go on indefinitely; that will also be affected by how much is already invested, local and other budgets, the economy, cost of operation, and percentage of total completed.
The ultimate expression of solar's viability will be development of a viable, highly adaptable, and durable coating technology that can be put on well most ANYTHING making most things needing power to actually have a photovoltaic skin which powers itself, and charges itself just sitting around in ordinary light and is durable and long-lived, and is able to store that energy both lightly and cheaply.

It is yet to be seen though both the ultimate affordability of "renewable" energy in creating it as well as depending on it long term for most of our needs, as well as how much of the total global average can be practically supported by solar and wind technology, but the goal is not to get there any way we can but to get there as much as is practical in terms of cost and location. The Earth will take care of itself.
Here you go:

God, you are one dumb ass. The wind turbines in the Dakotas and Montana did not fail. And it was much colder for far longer there. The morons in Texas failed to winterize their natural gas lines, the coal and nuke plants, and the renewables. In spite of the fact that the had a similar though smaller dose of this weather in 2011. And those turbines look far better than the scars of mountain top mining for coal.

Says the asshat who turns a blind eye to the strip mining for the rare earths needed for batteries and motors.

God you are an ignorant, feckless clod.

Says the asshat who turns a blind eye to the strip mining for the rare earths needed for batteries and motors.

God you are an ignorant, feckless clod.
Now look as what this lying old hypocrite posted. Never even gave a thought to the mountain top removal and strip mining of coal or tar sands. Both are far more extensive than the mining of the minerals needed for the batteries. And I sure don't see you objecting to the rare earths used in your TV screen or other electronics. Face it, old hypocrite, you cannot stand real progress.

Now look as what this lying old hypocrite posted. Never even gave a thought to the mountain top removal and strip mining of coal or tar sands. Both are far more extensive than the mining of the minerals needed for the batteries. And I sure don't see you objecting to the rare earths used in your TV screen or other electronics. Face it, old hypocrite, you cannot stand real progress.

Of course you won't you dumbfuck, I ain't the one trying to make everyone go back to the bronze age. YOU are.

Never even gave a thought to the mountain top removal and strip mining of coal or tar sands.
That's because once finished, they can be reclaimed and you would never even know there ever was any mining there.

Both are far more extensive than the mining of the minerals needed for the batteries.
Unless you can tell me you are an industrial geologist, I'm calling bullshit here. You have no idea the mining needed for batteries for EVs 25 years from now but you can be sure much of it will be supplied by China.

And I sure don't see you objecting to the rare earths used in your TV screen
What rare earth is used in a TV screen? CRTs use phosphors and my big screen TV screen is just a sheet of translucent plastic.

That's because once finished, they can be reclaimed and you would never even know there ever was any mining there.

Unless you can tell me you are an industrial geologist, I'm calling bullshit here. You have no idea the mining needed for batteries for EVs 25 years from now but you can be sure much of it will be supplied by China.

What rare earth is used in a TV screen? CRTs use phosphors and my big screen TV screen is just a sheet of translucent plastic.

Yttrium, Europeum, and Terbium are the phosphors that are used for color in modern day TV's.

Yttrium, Europeum, and Terbium are the phosphors that are used for color in modern day TV's.

You know, I thought I knew most everything about CRT TVs but I never knew the exact phosphors used in the shadow mask. Probably because there is nothing you can do about them or change about them. Apparently you are right though I can't confirm if these were ALWAYS used even in the old days of color TV there are so many different phosphors used, but apparently you are right! Hats off for knowing that! :bow3:

You know, I thought I knew most everything about CRT TVs but I never knew the exact phosphors used in the shadow mask. Probably because there is nothing you can do about them or change about them. Apparently you are right though I can't confirm if these were ALWAYS used even in the old days of color TV there are so many different phosphors used, but apparently you are right! Hats off for knowing that! :bow3:

I'm a geologist. It's my yob, mang! :biggrin:

LOL Tooby, baby, your vast ignorance is showing again.

"Yttrium, europium, and terbium phosphors are the red-green-blue phosphors used in many light bulbs, panels, and televisions.

"Rare-earth elements (REEs) are used as components in high technology devices, including smart phones, digital cameras, computer hard disks, fluorescent and light-emitting-diode (LED) lights, flat screen televisions, computer monitors, and electronic displays. Large quantities of some REEs are used in clean energy and defense technologies."

"Specific REEs are used individually or in combination to make phosphors—substances that emit luminescence—for many types of ray tubes and flat panel displays, in screens that range in size from smart phone displays to stadium scoreboards. Some REEs are used in fluorescent and LED lighting. Yttrium, europium, and terbium phosphors are the red-green-blue phosphors used in many light bulbs, panels, and televisions. The glass industry is the largest consumer of REE raw materials, using them for glass polishing and as additives that provide color and special optical properties. Lanthanum makes up as much as 50 percent of digital camera lenses, including cell phone cameras."

"Magnets that employ REEs are rapidly growing in application. Neodymium-iron-boron magnets are the strongest magnets known, useful when space and weight are limiting factors. Rare-earth magnets are used in computer hard disks and CD–ROM and DVD disk drives. The spindle of a disk drive attains high stability in its spinning motion when driven by a rare-earth magnet. These magnets are also used in a variety of conventional automotive subsystems, such as power steering, electric windows, power seats, and audio speakers."

"Cerium, lanthanum, neodymium, and praseodymium, commonly in the form of a mixed oxide known as mischmetal, are used in steel making to remove impurities and in the production of special alloys."

New Topics

Forum List

Back