Religious people seem to have more bias in these debates.

That puts the believers in that Cul de sac of picking and choosing what they like and what they don’t.

Why the need to include a child’s story?
I didn't say it included a child's story. I said we needed to move beyond a child's take on a story. And that, moves believers out of the cul-de-sac and onto a pathway (the one less traveled).
What child’s take on a story are you referring to? There is nothing childish (in terms of harm to humanity), about the flood fable. Is the resurrection a child’s story?

Probably because the flood happened in china also.

There's no worldwide flood footprint..

According to mythological and historical sources, it is traditionally dated to the third millennium BCE, or about 2300-2200 BC, during the reign of Emperor Yao.
Wikipedia › wiki › Great_Flood_(C...
Great Flood (China) - Wikipedia

That puts the believers in that Cul de sac of picking and choosing what they like and what they don’t.

I didn't say it included a child's story. I said we needed to move beyond a child's take on a story. And that, moves believers out of the cul-de-sac and onto a pathway (the one less traveled).
What child’s take on a story are you referring to? There is nothing childish (in terms of harm to humanity), about the flood fable. Is the resurrection a child’s story?

According to mythological and historical sources, it is traditionally dated to the third millennium BCE, or about 2300-2200 BC, during the reign of Emperor Yao.

But it wasn't worldwide.. Floods are localized. The Biblical flood story is adapted from Sumer. The Euphrates River Basin flooded periodically from spring rains combines with snowmelt from the mountains.

But it wasn't worldwide.. Floods are localized. The Biblical flood story is adapted from Sumer. The Euphrates River Basin flooded periodically from spring rains combines with snowmelt from the mountains.

That's fine, I am just pointing out the great chinese flood happened around the same time

and what you said diesn't jivce with what I have read in th bible

I'm guessing we read from different perspectives. All the atheists I've known read it from the modern English, 20th-21st century perspective.

and yet the god in the bible did some pretty awful things
Are you imagining this is because the authors wanted to tell the world how awful God is? Or, are you imagining those who wrote the Bible thought God was good, but your modern intelligence figured out the "real" truth of the matter.

Correct. Earth can mean the planet; earth can mean dirt or the ground. In the Hebrew language it is clear that water covered the ground, not the planet. It covered the ground as far as the eye could see...it was quite a flood.

Correct. Earth can mean the planet; earth can mean dirt or the ground. In the Hebrew language it is clear that water covered the ground, not the planet. It covered the ground as far as the eye could see...it was quite a flood.

Yep..

The accounts of the flooding of the Euphrates River Basin match the flood sediment.. 130 miles across and 350 miles to the South.

That's fine, I am just pointing out the great chinese flood happened around the same time

Nope.. The Noah story is adapted from a massive flood event in 2900 BC.

+ Or - 500 years

+ Or - 500 years

This may interest you.

The Great Flood: Sumerian version - Livius
The Eridu Genesis. The story of the Great Flood has its origins in Sumer, the southern part of ancient Babylonia.Even though the younger Epic of Atrahasis and the Epic of Gilgameš, written in Babylonian, change many details, they continue to refer to Šuruppak as the city of the hero of the Flood story, even though the Sumerian name of the hero, Ziusudra, has been changed into Atra h asis or ...

Science convinced me that God exists.

View attachment 443606
OK I read the first link and the title is misleading.

There has been no scientific proof of any gods but this philosopher is of the opinion that DNA had to be made by a god. And that opinion is no more valid than his previous opinion that there was no god.

He was influenced by the goodness that GOD has brought to the world. No man is an island unto himself. There are influences. GOD needed something accomplished and this was how HE chose to accomplish it.

Do humans ever get credit for the good they do?
no.

Religious peop[le think morals come from a god. I happen to believe that morals and ethics evolved as human society evolved.

and yet the god in the bible did some pretty awful things
Are you imagining this is because the authors wanted to tell the world how awful God is? Or, are you imagining those who wrote the Bible thought God was good, but your modern intelligence figured out the "real" truth of the matter.

I'm not imagining anything I read it in the bible which is supposed to be the word of god.

But I suppose you think that a god should have to live by the standards he set for us mere mortals right?

or when another religion is forced upon people
I am guessing you felt religion was forced on you...a childhood experience, perhaps?
wrong again.

I wasn't exposed to any religion as a child.

Any more assumptions about me that you need me to set you straight on?

I was referring to the many time throughout history that a religion was forcibly imposed on people.

I'm not imagining anything I read it in the bible which is supposed to be the word of god.

But I suppose you think that a god should have to live by the standards he set for us mere mortals right?
The Bible is inspired by God. It was also written by man, filtered we might say. And those men lived thousands of years ago, spoke a different language, had a different perspective. What was their perspective? What was their intent? What did they wish to share with the audience of their own time?

Forum List

Back