Religious people seem to have more bias in these debates.

And that's not my understanding of scripture it's what religious people have been saying for as long as I can remember.
And my response to that is the same as it is to flat earthers. It tells me the place they stopped studying and making their own investigations. It's kind of like proudly saying, The hardest problem I worked in math is 9x9=81. Nothing more to learn.

Here is a thought: What if more religious people don't say that, than do say that, and your experience was only a small sample?
everyone's experience is only a small sample.

and are you denying that the Bible references eternal punishment in the pits of what we call Hell?

You have been telling me the bible deals with more than just our lives here on earth haven't you?
The Bible deals with the Eternal, i.e, all that was, all that is, all that will be. It does not dissect the present out of the eternal, but addresses it as part of the eternal.
and yet the people's time on earth is seen as separate from their eternal reward in heaven

And yet the bible mentions a reward for obedience as eternity in paradise and the punishment for disobedience as being condemned to living an eternity suffering in hell.

That is nothing but playing on peoples' fear and greed in order to get them to comply.
Disobedience to God's commands opens the other door into turmoil, hate, depression, evil (hell) right here, right now, in our life today on earth. Jesus.
It is always good to hear a believer who understands that if there is a thing like a god, it isn't sadistic.

It is always good to hear a believer who understands that if there is a thing like a god, it isn't sadistic.
God's love is awesome. It eclipses every Biblical story and sends them all into a new and different light.

And yet the bible mentions a reward for obedience as eternity in paradise and the punishment for disobedience as being condemned to living an eternity suffering in hell.

That is nothing but playing on peoples' fear and greed in order to get them to comply.
Disobedience to God's commands opens the other door into turmoil, hate, depression, evil (hell) right here, right now, in our life today on earth. Jesus.
Gods who punish people into eternity for not believing are sadistic, vengeful and really awful.

Gods who punish people into eternity for not believing are sadistic, vengeful and really awful.
God, is synonymous with good and with love. Perhaps dwell on that instead. It won't take very long to understand God is not sadistic, vengeful, or really awful. Consider this Bible verse:

There is no fear in love,
but perfect love drives out fear
because fear has to do with punishment,

and so one who fears is not yet perfect in love.

When it comes to faith and religion, people may wish to listen to those who do not cause them to fear, but rather inspire them to love.

God, is synonymous with good and with love. Perhaps dwell on that instead. It won't take very long to understand God is not sadistic, vengeful, or really awful. Consider this Bible verse:

When it comes to faith and religion, people may wish to listen to those who do not cause them to fear, but rather inspire them to love.
The actions of the Christian Gods are not always synonymous with love. The Bibles describe the Gods as sadistic, vengeful and willing to inflict incredible cruelty on their 'children'.

The Ark fable is just one example but perhaps demonstrates the most vicious and angry Gods.

The actions of the Christian Gods are not always synonymous with love. The Bibles describe the Gods as sadistic, vengeful and willing to inflict incredible cruelty on their 'children'.

The Ark fable is just one example but perhaps demonstrates the most vicious and angry Gods.
Shouldn't we be well beyond a child's take of the story?

Shouldn't we be well beyond a child's take of the story?
That puts the believers in that Cul de sac of picking and choosing what they like and what they don’t.

Why the need to include a child’s story?

This is wrong on so many levels.

That's because you have the view of a spoiled child.

That puts the believers in that Cul de sac of picking and choosing what they like and what they don’t.

Why the need to include a child’s story?
I didn't say it included a child's story. I said we needed to move beyond a child's take on a story. And that, moves believers out of the cul-de-sac and onto a pathway (the one less traveled).

And that's not my understanding of scripture it's what religious people have been saying for as long as I can remember.
And my response to that is the same as it is to flat earthers. It tells me the place they stopped studying and making their own investigations. It's kind of like proudly saying, The hardest problem I worked in math is 9x9=81. Nothing more to learn.

Here is a thought: What if more religious people don't say that, than do say that, and your experience was only a small sample?
everyone's experience is only a small sample.

and are you denying that the Bible references eternal punishment in the pits of what we call Hell?
The Bible warns of hell. I think a warning isn't beating anyone over the head ---- it's just a matter of fact.

Which is why it wouldn't care if its love is returned or not; that would be unconditional love.
We can even go beyond that. Love like that is awesome; to love like that is awesome. It is a matter of wanting others to experience what it is like to be be filled with and generate such love. Think about it. When one is filled to capacity, there is nothing more other than a desire that others also attain what one already has.

When I was growing up, the Sunday school teacher told me that when it came to negotiating a remedy for the failure of its own creation to obey its will, this being chose pain, blood, and suffering as its currency of choice. She thought she was telling me good news, which speaks to her cognitive dissonance.

That's because you have the view of a spoiled child.

First off, there are NO Christian Gods. There is but one GOD. You aren't referencing the Greek or Roman pantheon of gods. So, by seeming to with purpose apply wrong terminology, you are demonstrating YOUR own bias. Secondly, it has never been proven that the FLOOD never happened. It is one thing to say or insist that Noah's Flood was entirely just a story. It is another to run an investigation and reveal the evidence without bias. There has never been a secular scientific investigation. The reasoning has always been that because what they believe is likely then the FLOOD isn't likely.

Now, as far as the Flood showing GOD to be mean and angry. Again, it would have to be demonstrated legally that what GOD did was reprehensible. Say if an officer shot and killed a man who was strangling a child, there would be an investigation. And if it was found that the officer did what he had to do to save the child's life, I would imagine that there would be no charges against the said officer involved in the unfortunate incident.

When I was growing up, the Sunday school teacher told me that when it came to negotiating a remedy for the failure of its own creation to obey its will, this being chose pain, blood, and suffering as its currency of choice. She thought she was telling me good news, which speaks to her cognitive dissonance.
All Sunday school teachers would do well to do a study of Judaism; might give them a better understanding of Jesus' own perspective.

Forum List

Back