Religion and Ethics?

This is funny and quite ironic. When you are a kid you pretty much learn that only adults are permitted to use such language. If adults spoke like adults, I wouldn't have to remind the kids at school to watch their language...which they learned from adults. It is how adults speak despite all the better alternatives they learn at school in all their English classes.
Adults who swear do not act like adults — they act immaturely, like adolescents who have not learned basic decency. Using bad words immediately reveals a person's unrefined character and that they have no dignity. That's their right, but it is beyond me why anyone wants to live without dignity.

Really. First I ever heard about it, so I doubt it has ever even been seriously hypothesized. Everyone--and I mean everyone--in my family swears or swore while I was growing up. I come from a very intelligent family and married into another intelligent family where everyone (and I mean everyone) swears.

It is like saying it is a common misconception that people think the sun rises in the east.
And yet you just said people only swear because they can't think of a good Shakespearean insult.

And yet you just said people only swear because they can't think of a good Shakespearean insult.
You may wish to read post #317 a second time.

Why constantly reinterpret what is actually say into something with which one can take offense? Why miss the humor, signified by the wink emoji? (Psst. The post said they weren't quick enough to come up with a Shakespearean insult, not that they couldn't think of one.) Swearing is usually spur of the moment, something quick to say, usually to emphasize a point. In other words, just as today's society prefers to cross the country in a jet plane--not a horse and buggy (like in Shakespeare's time)--our insults are just as quick.

Shrug. Perhaps one has to teach English to make the connection.

You may wish to read post #317 a second time.

Why constantly reinterpret what is actually say into something with which one can take offense? Why miss the humor, signified by the wink emoji? (Psst. The post said they weren't quick enough to come up with a Shakespearean insult, not that they couldn't think of one.) Swearing is usually spur of the moment, something quick to say, usually to emphasize a point. In other words, just as today's society prefers to cross the country in a jet plane--not a horse and buggy (like in Shakespeare's time)--our insults are just as quick.

Shrug. Perhaps one has to teach English to make the connection.
If you're not quick enough then you can't think of one. What good is a pithy reply if you come up with it an hour later?

Adults who swear do not act like adults — they act immaturely, like adolescents who have not learned basic decency. Using bad words immediately reveals a person's unrefined character and that they have no dignity. That's their right, but it is beyond me why anyone wants to live without dignity.
Being around teens, there is a distinction between their swearing and adult swearing. Many adults swear without giving it a second thought while teens are interested in the shock value and attention.

I don't know why adults swear, I just know they do. What I find even more interesting is most don't swear around me, not because I ever say anything to them, but because, oddly enough, they pick up on the fact I do not swear. My husband swears around his friends, but not around me. Same with my sister and other friends and family.

As an English teacher, I do object to swearing in novels, which has become more common over the years. I consider it they lazy writer's syndrome, where they use that quick swear word to underscore what is happening rather than taking the time to craft an atmosphere expected of a professional writer.

I only swear here.

And I swear that there is no GoD, there never has been, and there never will be.

We need to find new ways to promote our existence on this world and our relationship with the planet. Because what we're doing right now, is self-destruction that will never stop.

And I swear that there is no GoD, there never has been, and there never will be.
God is. This is not faith on my part, it is knowledge. I am here to testify, seek and you will find.

I do not know how you reached the conclusion there is no God. Perhaps because you created your own idea about what a God is and what a God does and the reality did not match your expectations?

We need to find new ways to promote our existence on this world and our relationship with the planet. Because what we're doing right now, is self-destruction that will never stop.
Give me a specific example on your thoughts of a new way to promote our existence on this world.

God is. This is not faith on my part, it is knowledge. I am here to testify, seek and you will find.
Baloney. Tangibly demonstrate said "knowledge" scientifically and compellingly or admit to being just another annoying, prudish, faith driven proselytizer.

Spot on, Your Anus!

Baloney. Tangibly demonstrate said "knowledge" scientifically and compellingly or admit to being just another annoying, prudish, faith driven proselytizer.
I do not proselytize, unless reassuring atheists is proselytizing them. I am a witness. I testify. No one is required, let alone forced, to accept my testimony.

Give me a specific example on your thoughts of a new way to promote our existence on this world.

the desert religions start from the beginning with a lie of commandments etched in the heavens they alone worship and is the means for those religions to impose their will unwittingly over all other manners of belief. meryweather.

physiology, the physical presence of life and the spiritual content required for its existence are both metaphysical in origin not native to planet earth as a scientific reality - without an ounce of understanding for the spiritual that may never be resolved that is the basis for all existence in the universe.

I do not proselytize, unless reassuring atheists is proselytizing them. I am a witness. I testify. No one is required, let alone forced, to accept my testimony.
Yeah, Jehovah's Witnesses never stick guns to people's heads either. Sharing your religious beliefs is all you ever do on this forum. Grow some balls and get a life.
God is. This is not faith on my part, it is knowledge.
proselytize:
verb

1. convert or attempt to convert (someone) from one religion, belief, or opinion to another.
    "the program did have a tremendous evangelical effect, proselytizing many"

It is a religion forum and the only interest I have among all other choices offered because...grin--I have a life.
USMB is political forum but you continuing to dissemble comes as no surprise. You know, if this section didn't also still say "Ethics" I wouldn't be here. Try "reassuring atheists" that you've strenuously objected to those two things being insultingly conflated, rubbed into our faces, year after year.. Oh, sorry.. Never mind. That would be a lie. "It is a religion forum" -- almost correct, English teacher. Somehow you just neglected to mention the other half, weasel.
You can have "faithless" so long as you take "duplicitous" "deceitful" "deceptive" -- deal?

Oh, sorry..
Apology accepted.

(Just pointing out that it is possible to pick and choose the topics and people that we find interesting. I also understand there is an ignore function you are most welcome to use on me. Have fun!)

Apology accepted.

(Just pointing out that it is possible to pick and choose the topics and people that we find interesting. I also understand there is an ignore function you are most welcome to use on me. Have fun!)
I just finished pointing out that it's possible to ignore entire sections here as well.. given their title isn't too insulting to ignore. And.. {crickets..}

Apology accepted.

- doubtful there is a need for anyone to hide from a delusional christian ...

Forum List

Back