Religion and Ethics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trolling is not difficult to see.
Always a good question and it's only become more insidious with time. An expert explains:

Topics are not the problem. Trolls butt in to bait others into arguing back hurriedly and emotionally. Sadistic psychopaths exhibiting high levels of cognitive empathy should be cancelled from political discussion boards.

Let's Examine the Claims of Atheists

Chem Engineer

Mar 22, 2021
Let's Examine Claims of Atheists

The Fallacy of Science vs. Religion

The atheists' frequent claim that science and religion are mutually exclusive is demonstrably false. If atheists were as "rational" and "intelligent" as they are always claiming, they would not resort to mendacity. Science pursues truth.

The list of scientists as men and women faith is long and growing.

List of Christians in science and technology - Wikipedia

“Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. The notion that science and spirituality are somehow mutually exclusive does a disservice to both.”
” - Demon Haunted World, page 29, by Carl Sagan

“I believe in God more because of science than in spite of it.” – William Phillips, Nobel Laureate in Physics

and more in post one

=====

I am an Atheist, shall I ignore the hard nasty bashing made by a religionist?
IMO, threads like those belong in forums where bashing is authorized, aka Zone 3.

but for atheists, and assholes, (notice how I separate them), there is no place for them trolling in R&E.
I completely understand. You feel it is completely proper and even advised for religious folk to insult and degrade those who don't share their particular religious beliefs, and the victims of those attacks should just STFU and take it. Who could possibly find fault with that?

You feel it is completely proper and even advised for religious folk to insult and degrade those who don't share their particular religious beliefs, and the victims of those attacks should just STFU and take it.
IF you see that happening in a Zone One thread, ANY Zone One thread, report it, so it can be moved downstairs.
You don't see that claiming anyone who doesn't share their belief is deserving of hell as an insult? Really?

Did you NOT read my post?

" IF you see that happening in a Zone One thread, ANY Zone One thread, report it, so it can be moved downstairs. "

Can you imagine a religious discussion by Christians that didn't mention their only goal, which is an eternity in heaven to the exclusion of all that don't share their beliefs? No I can't either. Perhaps a private, invitation only thread where you don't have to allow any differences of opinion, but if you have an open discussion, it has to be open to even those that don't fall in line.
??? I know lots of liberal Christians who value inclusion and not judging.
I think the problem is those types may not have time to spare arguing with people who aren't going to change their minds.
The ones who bother to argue are the ones who like to argue!
I don't blame Christianity or religion.
Plenty of believers don't do that.
Yet plenty of believers do. The OP seems to think non believers shouldn't have a right to say they disagree.

That is not what Will said and he has stated that if trolling goes on any side should be reported and the moderation team will deal with it.

Also PM is your friend and the Mods will listen if you have a case!

Look, the fact is Will is being honest and I will defend Will and say if he knows trolling is going on he does deal with it and if not him others like Winter, Coyote, Kat, Taz and so on Will deal with it!

I am not defending the moderation team because I am trying to score points but stating a fact and I promise you if you ask every moderator they will tell all of you I have a love hate relationship with them and they know it but trolling goes on in the Religion and Ethics forum from all sides and it shouldn’t at all!

You might not agree but fact is fact and I am no one here but can tell you when I am appalled at some of the content and comments, well you know it is bad!

Chem Engineer

Mar 22, 2021

The atheists' frequent claim that science and religion are mutually exclusive is demonstrably false. If atheists were as "rational" and "intelligent" as they are always claiming, they would not resort to mendacity. Science pursues truth.

“Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. The notion that science and spirituality are somehow mutually exclusive does a disservice to both.”

“I believe in God more because of science than in spite of it.” – William Phillips, Nobel Laureate in Physics

and more in post one

=====

IMO, threads like those belong in forums where bashing is authorized, aka Zone 3.

but for atheists, and assholes, (notice how I separate them), there is no place for them trolling in R&E.
I completely understand. You feel it is completely proper and even advised for religious folk to insult and degrade those who don't share their particular religious beliefs, and the victims of those attacks should just STFU and take it. Who could possibly find fault with that?

You feel it is completely proper and even advised for religious folk to insult and degrade those who don't share their particular religious beliefs, and the victims of those attacks should just STFU and take it.
IF you see that happening in a Zone One thread, ANY Zone One thread, report it, so it can be moved downstairs.
You don't see that claiming anyone who doesn't share their belief is deserving of hell as an insult? Really?

" IF you see that happening in a Zone One thread, ANY Zone One thread, report it, so it can be moved downstairs. "

Can you imagine a religious discussion by Christians that didn't mention their only goal, which is an eternity in heaven to the exclusion of all that don't share their beliefs? No I can't either. Perhaps a private, invitation only thread where you don't have to allow any differences of opinion, but if you have an open discussion, it has to be open to even those that don't fall in line.
I think the problem is those types may not have time to spare arguing with people who aren't going to change their minds.
Yet plenty of believers do. The OP seems to think non believers shouldn't have a right to say they disagree.

The OP seems to think non believers shouldn't have a right to say they disagree.

They have the right to disagree.

In Zone 1, they wouldn't have the right to troll.

(just how hard is that to understand?)
Who decides what is trolling? You? Taz?

Some beaureaucrat in Washington?

Yes

Just tell them the truth I am the judge, jury and executioner...

They might actually believe it!

I am an atheist, I will not have a problem with Religion being moved to Zone 1 status, if that is what is needed to stop the trolling and off topic babblings.

Chem Engineer

Mar 22, 2021

and more in post one

=====

The OP seems to think non believers shouldn't have a right to say they disagree.

If you are making no contribution to the topic, and attacking the subject, you are trolling. It is NOT the same has having a different view or opinion.

Poster 1. Only those who have accepted the lord Jesus Christ as their personal savior will be saved, and all others deserve to suffer throughout eternity in great anguish, because they chose evil.
Poster 2. You're full of shit. If that is what your imaginary sky fairy told you, he's full of shit too. You are free to believe what you want, but don't expect me too not disagree.

Which is the troll?

• Thanks
Reactions: cnm
Yet plenty of believers do. The OP seems to think non believers shouldn't have a right to say they disagree
Heres the thing.

If I start a thread about my belief that the traditional teachings about heaven and hell originate from paganism, and my intent is to get "traditional christians" to defend this, AS AN ATHEIST, WHAT IS THE POINT OF YOU INSERTING YOURSELF?

It is a discussion that YOU, as someone who doesnt even recognize GOD, have NOTHING to contribute to the discussion.

NOBODY gives a damn, in this case, about your trolling input, because you dont even share the foundation with those involved in the discussion

My posts are just as valid as anybody else's on an open board. If you want a private discussion, start a private discussion.

Chem Engineer

Mar 22, 2021

and more in post one

=====

That is not what Will said and he has stated that if trolling goes on any side should be reported and the moderation team will deal with it.

Sorry, but my experience hasn't borne that out.

Chem Engineer

Mar 22, 2021

and more in post one

=====

Sorry, but my experience hasn't borne that out.

Well then I apologize but I have seen it and know it will be done...

Many threads created on both sides shouldn’t be upstairs and the sad reality is we can not have civil discussion on here...

Chem Engineer

Mar 22, 2021

and more in post one

=====

If you are making no contribution to the topic, and attacking the subject, you are trolling. It is NOT the same has having a different view or opinion.

Poster 1. Only those who have accepted the lord Jesus Christ as their personal savior will be saved, and all others deserve to suffer throughout eternity in great anguish, because they chose evil.
Poster 2. You're full of shit. If that is what your imaginary sky fairy told you, he's full of shit too. You are free to believe what you want, but don't expect me too not disagree.

Which is the troll?

I don't think either one is a troll.

we do that, will there be fewer "Here is why Evolution is a Lie" or "Atheists are wrong and going to Hell" kind of threads? It seems to me it works both ways
If a believer starts a thread like "Evolution is a lie" atheists are welcome and expected to respond.

If they start a thread atheists are going to hell, they COULD respond, but WHY WOULD THEY, if God doesnt exist?

we do that, will there be fewer "Here is why Evolution is a Lie" or "Atheists are wrong and going to Hell" kind of threads? It seems to me it works both ways
If a believer starts a thread like "Evolution is a lie" atheists are welcome and expected to respond.

If they start a thread atheists are going to hell, they COULD respond, but WHY WOULD THEY, if God doesnt exist?

The only time I have responded to such threads is when there is talk of laws coming from the religious side.

The only time I have responded to such threads is when there is talk of laws coming from the religious side.
Those usually come from hysterical atheists.

But ALL Law originates from SOMEONE'S morality

You shall not murder
Until recently,
You shall not commit adultry
You shall not steal
You shall not commit pergery

is the troll?
Bulldog, I agree with almost every post of yours on this thread. There really isn't any such thing as trolling on a political forum, since everything any of us hear from a member of the other side of the aisle sounds like trolling. Trolling is just normal political discourse on political boards. If a mod steps in to decide what trolling is, it will result in partisan censorship.

If you see a thread that you want moved to another subforum, just post a bunch of vile stuff on it and a mod will move it away from where the nice Christian who posted it in the religion section, and stick it in the some other sub forum where it can be turned into a circus. The mods work in your favor because they think they are fixing trolling, but they are really working for you.

is the troll?
Bulldog, I agree with almost every post of yours on this thread. There really isn't any such thing as trolling on a political forum, since everything any of us hear from a member of the other side of the aisle sounds like trolling. Trolling is just normal political discourse on political boards. If a mod steps in to decide what trolling is, it will result in partisan censorship.

If you see a thread that you want moved to another subforum, just post a bunch of vile stuff on it and a mod will move it away from where the nice Christian who posted it in the religion section, and stick it in the some other sub forum where it can be turned into a circus. The mods work in your favor because they think they are fixing trolling, but they are really working for you.

You really don't know what Trolling is?

What Is Internet Trolling?
In simple terms, trolling is when someone comments or responds to something you post, usually in a confrontational way that is designed to garner a strong, emotional reaction. Although many people use the term in contexts where a sense of humor is appreciated, the truth is that internet trolling can get pretty nasty and isn't always a laughing matter.

The Urban Dictionary has a bunch of definitions under the term “trolling,” but the first one that pops up seems to define it as simply as possible. So, according to the Urban Dictionary’s top-rated definition for “trolling,” it can be defined as:

"the deliberate act, (by a Troll – noun or adjective), of making random unsolicited and/or controversial comments on various internet forums with the intent to provoke an emotional knee jerk reaction from unsuspecting readers to engage in a fight or argument."

Wikipedia defines it as:

"a person who starts quarrels or upsets people on the Internet to distract and sow discord by posting inflammatory and digressive, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into displaying emotional responses and normalizing tangential discussion, whether for the troll's amusement or a specific gain.”

LINK

======

There is a good reason why moderators are carefully chosen, they will know what Trolling is, it is clear YOU don't.

Is there a possibility of moving Religious and Ethics to Zone one?

I'm tired of chasing down trolls that only want to bash religion.

Does Religion really get that much traffic?? I don't see it.

I agree with post 2. Religion/spirituality is a personal matter. Others don't have a right to dick-tate what others have to believe in.
Then don't enter. Some WANT to discuss similar beliefs in comraderie...some WANT to learn of other beliefs. Nobody is "dick tating".

And yes, it is a busy forum but most just read because of attitudes like yours.

"Attitudes like mine"?

So you think outside people SHOULD dick-tate what other people's beliefs should be? Looks like you just did a complete 180 from your own post 66.

Kinky. :cuckoo:
Yes, attitudes like yours. It was not meant to offend you. It's just how you said what you said and how I took it in context to my opinion. Besides, you like kinky. :D

is the troll?

In simple terms, trolling is when someone comments or responds to something you post, usually in a confrontational way that is designed to garner a strong, emotional reaction. Although many people use the term in contexts where a sense of humor is appreciated, the truth is that internet trolling can get pretty nasty and isn't always a laughing matter.

The Urban Dictionary has a bunch of definitions under the term “trolling,” but the first one that pops up seems to define it as simply as possible. So, according to the Urban Dictionary’s top-rated definition for “trolling,” it can be defined as:

"the deliberate act, (by a Troll – noun or adjective), of making random unsolicited and/or controversial comments on various internet forums with the intent to provoke an emotional knee jerk reaction from unsuspecting readers to engage in a fight or argument."

Wikipedia defines it as:

"a person who starts quarrels or upsets people on the Internet to distract and sow discord by posting inflammatory and digressive, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into displaying emotional responses and normalizing tangential discussion, whether for the troll's amusement or a specific gain.”

LINK

======

There is a good reason why moderators are carefully chosen, they will know what Trolling is, it is clear YOU don't.
That sure was a long description of what normal political discourse is.

So, why would an atheist want to go into a thread just to brow beat those that believe in "the sky fairy"? And why would a religious person go into a thread targeting atheists so they could discuss why they don't believe and be with kindred spirits of like mind? No reason except to cause grief or to troll or just to be flat out mean.

You wouldn't go into a church during a wedding and tell the couple getting married they are stupid to do so and just live together, right? Or tell a cook his food sucks, but keep going there every day anyway, correct? People gather in threads for discussion, and just having a good time with other likeminded folks in such threads and such forums geared for that discussion. Those who go in just to make fun of people for what they say or think or believe is just flat out rude.

is the troll?

Wikipedia defines it as:

LINK

======

Making an unexpected point in a debate will meet the same definition.

is the troll?

Wikipedia defines it as:

LINK

======

That sure was a long description of what normal political discourse is.

This should be enough even for a caveman to understand:

It doesn't matter of it is politics or not, you are looking foolish here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back