Reid: Investigate Bush Over North Korea Nukes

Stephanie

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
Does this party know any other words, besides, *investigate and Bush*:cuckoo:

By Nathan Burchfiel
CNSNews.com Staff Writer
October 09, 2006

(CNSNews.com) - Reacting to the announcement that North Korea successfully conducted a nuclear test, Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) called Monday for an investigation of the Bush administration's "failed North Korea policies."In a release, Reid said that "on the Bush Administration's watch, North Korea's arsenal has grown to as many as a dozen bombs," because he said Bush is "distracted by Iraq and paralyzed by internal divisions."

Calling the test "reckless and counterproductive," Reid called on Bush to "rally the international community and ... directly speak with the North Koreans so they understand we will not continue to stand on the sidelines."

Reid also called for a "full review" of the Bush administration's "failed North Korea policy," the development of "recommendations to change course," and direct communication with the North Koreans about "the consequence of their actions and the administration's new course."

In an election-year call for support, Reid said Bush and the Republican-controlled Congress "have made America less secure. It is time for a new direction," he said, referring to the Democrats' campaign slogan.

In a separate statement Monday, House Speaker Dennis Hastert also condemned the nuclear test, calling it a "desperate act of a criminal regime."

Hastert said the United States is "neither threatened nor impressed, but resolved to restore stability to the Pacific Rim."

Hastert called on the international community, specifically the United Nations, to "take decisive action to isolate this regime against this provocative move."
http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewPolitics.asp?Page=/Politics/archive/200610/POL20061009b.html

This has gone way past the point of sanity----if anyone investigates our govenment, I'd rather it be 50 chimpanzees than anyone in our government or these so-called independent prosecutors/investigators.

Reacting to the announcement that North Korea successfully conducted a nuclear test, Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) called Monday for an investigation of the Bush administration's "failed North Korea policies."
This is blatant political bullshit designed to score points with an uninformed electorate. Negotiate directly with a criminal regime at the point of a nuclear gun? Negotiate with a regime that by some estimates has murdered through terror and starvation as many as 2 million of its inhabitants? Negotiate with a regime so obsessed with preserving its internal control that resultant food scarcity forced some of its citizens to resort to cannibalism? Great idea Harry. You would have made an excellent British PM in the 30s. Sure let’s negotiate with NK so we can teach the outlaw regimes in the world (e.g., Syria and Iran) that all you have to do to get what you want from America is to threaten to shoot or proliferate. Reid wants to investigate Bush for NK nukes. Fine. While we are at it, let’s investigate Harry Truman for firing MacArthur and allowing NK to continue to exist by signing the armistice. Then we can investigate Carter and Clinton for doing that 1994 extortion deal with NK while the pariah police state duplicitously continued to develop nukes. Politicians like Reid are not stupid. Rather they disingenuously seek to score points at the polls at the expense of an accurate depiction of history. Why? Because they know that most Americans are unaware of the historical facts.

Rush posted this on his website today...

* Spring of 1992 - Kim Il Sung allowed IEAE inspectors led by Hans Blix into his country. Kim claimed they had "a tiny quantity of plutonium...far from the amount you need for a weapon," reported Blix, according to the Washington Post.

Covert tests showed that the North Koreans had actually reprocessed massive amounts of plutonium ¡V enough for several bombs, reports Jasper Becker in the definitive Rogue Regime (Oxford Press). When the IAEA asked for access to nuclear waste sites to investigate further, the North Koreans halked.

* 1993 - North Korea declared it would withdraw from the Non-Proliferation Treaty unless certain demands were met:

- US diplomatic recognition
- The end of economic sanctions
- 1 million tons in grain
- Half a million tons of fuel oil per year
- Delivery of two light-water reactors worth over $4.5 BILLION.

* The Koreans were quite specific about the sort of reactors they wanted and only these would do," notes Becker.

* 1994 - tensions between North Korea, South Korea, the IAEA, the UN and the U.S. were mounting. Actual military conflict loomed. But then, a savior appeared. The Clinton Administration sent in Jimmy Carter, who Kim Il Sung once referred to as "a man of justice" to take a swing at peace but only as a private citizen. (Clinton was worried about looking "weak" with the ex-presidential help.)

* June 16-19, 1994 - Carter rubbed elbows with Kim for a few days and then "dropped American demands that UN inspections resume and that North Korea surrender its spent fuel rods.

[Carter] even said that the US was dropping it support for sanctions at the UN, which wasn't true," writes Stephen Hayward in THE REAL JIMMY CARTER (Regnery). Without the Clinton Administration's knowledge, Carter then popped up on CNN declaring he sweet-talked Kim into going back to the negotiating table in Geneva.

* At the Geneva talks the Clinton Administration bent over and grabbed the ankles, despite the death of Kim Il Sung on July 8, 1994 (at which time his wacko son Kim Jong Il inherited "supreme power"). The ¡§Agreed Framework" was signed by the U.S. and North Korea on Oct 21, 1994 in Geneva.

The Framework promised, as Becker put it, "to reward Pyonyang's breaches of international nuclear safeguards by giving it more nuclear power stations." Yes, the Clinton Administration gave into the demands of a deceiving, nefarious nuclear-hungry, gulag-building, people-starving, Communist regime.

Not only were the nuclear reactors pledged; Clinton also agreed to supply the North with 500,000 metric tons of fuel oil annually as well as tons of grain ¡V all in return for a PROMISE to "freeze" all nuclear-weaponry ambitions. Clinton even provided the North Koreans, writes Becker, "with a written assurance that the United States was not contemplating launching an attack [or] seeking destruction of North Korea. Kim was home safe.

How could North Korea experience one of history's deadliest famines during the '90's while receiving tons of grain/aid from America? The U.S., as NEWSWEEK reports, "did not know where most of the food was going after military trucks hauled it away." Turns out, most of the food went to the Democratic Peoples Republic of Korea army, and Clinton happily looked the other way, eager to shore up his reputation for "diplomacy" and "engagement" with adversaries.

* The Clinton Administration's 1995 National Intelligence Estimate flatly stated that "no country, other than the major declared nuclear powers, will develop or otherwise acquire a ballistic missile in the next 15 years that could threaten the contiguous 48 states and Canada."

* February 1997 - Madeleine Albright had officially shrugged off any concerns about North Korean deceptions, bragging, "The Framework Agreement is one of the best things the [Clinton] Administration has done because it stopped a nuclear weapons program in North Korea."

* Aug. 31, 1998 - North Korea launched a three-stage TaepoDong-1 rocket, with a range of 1600-2000 kilometers, over Japan, landing off the Alaska coast.

* 1999 Senate Committee on Foreign Relations hearings ¡V Albright made a blink-and-you'll-miss-it admission that things weren't rosy in Agreed-Framework-land: "We are also engaged in direct talks with North Korea on ways to resolve CONCERNS REGARDING SUSPICIOUS UNDERGROUND CONSTRUCITON ACTIVITIES AND LONG-RANGE MISSILE PROGRAMS."

* 2000 - mounting evidence at the underground Kumcharng-re site forced the Clinton Administration to actually confront the possibility that their Agreed Framework was, well, a load of poppy-cock. They asked Kim Jong Il to allow inspections. Kim refused. So Clinton sent him 600,000 tons of grain!

* June 2000 - the Japanese and Chinese were able to confirm reports of another underground uranium processing plant in Chorma, about 17 miles away from Kurnchang-ri.

* The final Clintonian gesture was to send Albright herself over to Pyongyang in October 2000 on a first-ever official U.S. visit (granting Kim John Il his long-sought-after legitimacy). Nothing was actually accomplished, but Kim and Maddy clinked wine glasses and exchanged starry eyes. As Albright told PBS's Jim Lehrer: "Basically, you know, we've had such weird stories about him but it turns out that we had very good discussions....And he seems pragmatic...not hostile."

Guess what the North Koreans admitted to in 2002? "Pursuing a secret nuclear weapons program using enriched uranium in violation of its 1994 pledge to freeze its nuclear program," reported the LA TIMES. "A senior official later acknowledged that the Communist nation was pursuing the nuclear weapons program "and more."

But don't expect the Clinton crowd to take responsibility for nuking up one of the world's most evil regimes. Here's a Sept. 12, 2004 exchange between Albright and Tim Russert on NBC's "Meet the Press":

RUSSERT: But didn't North Korea develop a nuclear bomb on Bill Clinton's watch?

ALBRIGHT: No, what they were doing, as it turns out, they were cheating. The worst part that has happened under the Agreed Framework, there was [sic] these fuel rods, and the nuclear program was frozen. Those fuel rods have now been reprocessed, as far as we know, and North Korea has a [nuclear] capability."

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/today.guest.html

Reacting to the announcement that North Korea successfully conducted a nuclear test, Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) called Monday for an investigation of the Bush administration's "failed North Korea policies."

:wtf:

Yet another feather in the cap of the Clinton legacy. We will be decades undoing the harm that fool wrought. To be so completely ignorant as the Clintonites is to stare the sun in the face and say it is night.

Yet another feather in the cap of the Clinton legacy. We will be decades undoing the harm that fool wrought. To be so completely ignorant as the Clintonites is to stare the sun in the face and say it is night.

I had to stay at work five extra minutes today. I think this is a conspiracy that reaches to the top levels of the Federal government and I am SURE the President gave the order himself.

Somebody call Mike Hammer .... this needs to be looked at.

Yeah, for whatever Bush's many faults, you can't lay North Korea at his doorstep. NK was practically given a turnkey nuclear program in the late 90's, and to blame Bush for that...well the Jews have a word for it: "chutzpah".

Decades, if we are luck. Heck its been decades already and we are still trying to recover from Carter's four year administration.

If you think Reid's statements are nuts, I hear Hillery is out calling for investigations into how the North Koreans got nukes and blaming President Bush.

Hey Hillery, as if you dont know how they got nukes: Your husband gave it to them.

I don't know how anybody can vote for a party that can look you right in the eye as their telling you a bold face lie....:dunno:

Vote Republican....:thup:

Well as a Nevadian, I am absolutely DUMBFOUNDED on just how it is this rabid liberal IDIOT reid gets elected each time.

NOT BY ME!!!:tdown2:

Well as a Nevadian, I am absolutely DUMBFOUNDED on just how it is this rabid liberal IDIOT reid gets elected each time.

Man, your not the only ONE wondering that...:poke:

I don't know how anybody can vote for a party that can look you right in the eye as their telling you a bold face lie....:dunno:

Vote Republican....:thup:
Stephanie, the point is that most people do not know it is a lie. Many people in the general electorate are clueless regarding current events, much less history. All that a significant percentage of the electorate will realize is that NK exploded a nuke on Bush's watch. It is these people to whom the sound bites are directed. The historical events leading up to the detonation might as well have occurred on another planet. It's pathetic, but that's the way it is. Politicians like Reid and Clinton (and others of both parties) realize this and manipulate their sound bites for political effect, not to do something mundane like tell the truth. If cynical party hacks in Washington were money, we would never have to pay taxes again.

Just check the demographics of Clark County and you will have your answer.

Stephanie, the point is that most people do not know it is a lie. Many people in the general electorate are clueless regarding current events, much less history. All that a significant percentage of the electorate will realize is that NK exploded a nuke on Bush's watch. It is these people to whom the sound bites are directed. The historical events leading up to the detonation might as well have occurred on another planet. It's pathetic, but that's the way it is. Politicians like Reid and Clinton (and others of both parties) realize this and manipulate their sound bites for political effect, not to do something mundane like tell the truth. If cynical party hacks in Washington were money, we would never have to pay taxes again.

Sadly, your right on a lot of what you say...

I guess I'm just hoping, that the people are catching on a lot more to the trickery and the sham that is being pulled on them...:dunno:

I had to stay at work five extra minutes today. I think this is a conspiracy that reaches to the top levels of the Federal government and I am SURE the President gave the order himself.

Somebody call Mike Hammer .... this needs to be looked at.

I couldn't pass this up....:beer:

jumpoffdaplanet (332 posts) Sun Oct-08-06 10:54 PM
Original message
Did Bush pay N. Korea to do the test this weekend?
Edited on Sun Oct-08-06 10:58 PM by jumpoffdaplanet
Because it's about the only thing that can knock Foley and Hastert off the news.
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=364x2350176

Forum List

Back