Regulations, taxes aren't killing small business, owners say

Synthaholic

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2010
I am a God on this message board.

WASHINGTON — Politicians and business groups often blame excessive regulation and fear of higher taxes for tepid hiring in the economy. However, little evidence of that emerged when McClatchy canvassed a random sample of small business owners across the nation.

"Government regulations are not 'choking' our business, the hospitality business," Bernard Wolfson, the president of Hospitality Operations in Miami, told The Miami Herald. "In order to do business in today's environment, government regulations are necessary and we must deal with them. The health and safety of our guests depend on regulations. It is the government regulations that help keep things in order."

The U.S. Chamber of Commerce is among the most vocal critics of the Obama administration, blaming excessive regulation and the administration's overhaul of health care laws for creating an environment of uncertainty that's hampering job creation.

When it's asked what specific regulations harm small businesses _which account for about 65 percent of U.S. jobs — the Chamber of Commerce points to health care, banking and national labor. Yet all these issues weigh much more heavily on big corporations than on small business.

"When you look at regulations in many respects, what a lot of people don't take into account is their secondary impacts," said Giovanni Coratolo, the vice president of small business policy for the U.S. Chamber of Commerce. "They pay the price, regardless of whether they are primarily the recipient of the regulation or they are secondarily getting the impact of it. They pay the price in higher costs, whether it is fuel or health care or whether it's being able to find access to capital."

McClatchy reached out to owners of small businesses, many of them mom-and-pop operations, to find out whether they indeed were being choked by regulation, whether uncertainty over taxes affected their hiring plans and whether the health care overhaul was helping or hurting their business.

Their response was surprising.

None of the business owners complained about regulation in their particular industries, and most seemed to welcome it. Some pointed to the lack of regulation in mortgage lending as a principal cause of the financial crisis that brought about the Great Recession of 2007-09 and its grim aftermath.

Rip Daniels, a businessman in Gulfport, Mississippi, says government regulation is not hurting his radio and real estate business, rising insurance costs are. It's a topic overlooked by politicians who claim taxes and regulation are choking job creation.

Last edited:
None of the business owners complained about regulation in their particular industries, and most seemed to welcome it

This article has got to be the biggest steaming pile of bullshit I have seen a awhile...

good gawd.

None of the business owners complained about regulation in their particular industries, and most seemed to welcome it

This article has got to be the biggest steaming pile of bullshit I have seen a awhile...

good gawd.
Translation: I've lost my precious talking point!!!!!
yikes.gif

:lol:

Quoting the article itself ... "says government regulation is not hurting his radio and real estate business, rising insurance costs are"

Thats a direct result of government regulation. What a moron. Article contradicts itself.

Yup! From your article:

The biggest single problem facing America’s small businesses isn’t taxes or overregulation. It’s low demand, according to a new report released by the National Federation of Independent Business.

Thirty-one percent of small businesses surveyed by the N.F.I.B. said that “poor sales” are their company’s “single most important problem.” The other options included were competition from large businesses, insurance costs and availability, financing and interest rates, government requirements and red tape, inflation, quality of labor, cost of labor and “other.”​

Yup! From your article:

The biggest single problem facing America’s small businesses isn’t taxes or overregulation. It’s low demand, according to a new report released by the National Federation of Independent Business.

Thirty-one percent of small businesses surveyed by the N.F.I.B. said that “poor sales” are their company’s “single most important problem.” The other options included were competition from large businesses, insurance costs and availability, financing and interest rates, government requirements and red tape, inflation, quality of labor, cost of labor and “other.”​

31%????

now that SPEAKS for the MAJORITY of business owners I GUESS:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Which regulation are destroying small businesses?

Anyone want to get specific?

Or are we just going to keep speaking in vague talking points?

Which regulation are destroying small businesses?

Anyone want to get specific?

Or are we just going to keep speaking in vague talking points?
Don't be silly, it's just a talking point. Unless they are crying that you can't put lead in paint anymore???

WASHINGTON — Politicians and business groups often blame excessive regulation and fear of higher taxes for tepid hiring in the economy. However, little evidence of that emerged when McClatchy canvassed a random sample of small business owners across the nation.

"Government regulations are not 'choking' our business, the hospitality business," Bernard Wolfson, the president of Hospitality Operations in Miami, told The Miami Herald. "In order to do business in today's environment, government regulations are necessary and we must deal with them. The health and safety of our guests depend on regulations. It is the government regulations that help keep things in order."

The U.S. Chamber of Commerce is among the most vocal critics of the Obama administration, blaming excessive regulation and the administration's overhaul of health care laws for creating an environment of uncertainty that's hampering job creation.

When it's asked what specific regulations harm small businesses _which account for about 65 percent of U.S. jobs — the Chamber of Commerce points to health care, banking and national labor. Yet all these issues weigh much more heavily on big corporations than on small business.

"When you look at regulations in many respects, what a lot of people don't take into account is their secondary impacts," said Giovanni Coratolo, the vice president of small business policy for the U.S. Chamber of Commerce. "They pay the price, regardless of whether they are primarily the recipient of the regulation or they are secondarily getting the impact of it. They pay the price in higher costs, whether it is fuel or health care or whether it's being able to find access to capital."

McClatchy reached out to owners of small businesses, many of them mom-and-pop operations, to find out whether they indeed were being choked by regulation, whether uncertainty over taxes affected their hiring plans and whether the health care overhaul was helping or hurting their business.

None of the business owners complained about regulation in their particular industries, and most seemed to welcome it. Some pointed to the lack of regulation in mortgage lending as a principal cause of the financial crisis that brought about the Great Recession of 2007-09 and its grim aftermath.

Rip Daniels, a businessman in Gulfport, Mississippi, says government regulation is not hurting his radio and real estate business, rising insurance costs are. It's a topic overlooked by politicians who claim taxes and regulation are choking job creation.

Complete and UTTER horseshit.. Guess you've avoided discussing the regulation that is threatening the ENTIRE home (self-employed) craft industry

http://www.usmessageboard.com/4091590-post1.html

From your stinking heap of crap:::

Really -- tell that to the small bizs that make kid clothes, toys, books, and ANY product for kids. And explain to me why MATTEL -- which created the crisis with it's Chinese made junk -- GOT A FREAKING EXEMPTION.. "weigh more heavily on Big Biz" my ass.

That and the recent militiarized raids on Gibson Guitar who might be able to afford losing a couple days of biz compared to a smaller craft guitar artisian that lose his biz figuring out how to prove his innocence when confronted with the SAME regs.

How many examples do you want? I've got some time and a HEAP of em for you...

Isn't it funny how established business like regulations and taxes, while start ups hate them? Could that be because established businesses know that those regulations and taxes reduce competition?

Quoting the article itself ... "says government regulation is not hurting his radio and real estate business, rising insurance costs are"

Thats a direct result of government regulation. What a moron. Article contradicts itself.

Bullshit! His insurance cost isn't regulated by the government.

What planet do you live on? Businesses are required by government regulation to carry worker's comp, health insurance, liability, and dozens of other insurance policies. Last time I priced worker's comp insurance I would have had to pay $25,000 a year to cover the minimally required 5 workers, even though I did not have 5 employees. I dropped the contract rather than go to the expense, which actually put 2 people out of work.

Bullshit! His insurance cost isn't regulated by the government.

What planet do you live on? Businesses are required by government regulation to carry worker's comp, health insurance, liability, and dozens of other insurance policies. Last time I priced worker's comp insurance I would have had to pay $25,000 a year to cover the minimally required 5 workers, even though I did not have 5 employees. I dropped the contract rather than go to the expense, which actually put 2 people out of work.
You're either lying or were being taken for a ride. Or you work in a very dangerous and deadly industry. $25,000 :lol:

Besides, if you are required to have WC, you are required to have it, no matter what contracts you take.

The largest factor for me is uncertainty. What will happen to fuel and material prices? Insurance costs? Benefits? These have always been a concern, but I am more worried about them than any time in the past.

New Topics

Forum List

Back