Regarding the re-virgining of "Radar" on M*A*S*H*

Frankenvoter

Mar 23, 2019
I do odds and ends topics alot and this is one I've been thinking of throwing out there.

If I was Gary Burghoff I know I would have hated it, I can hear it now: "you're an actor, so go out there and act you piece of shit" (I don't know if those exact words were spoken but I have a hunch the writers and Burghoff didn't like each other too much).

I mean, I was too young at the time when it was on the air to be able to see the change in the character from the movie (which is a good dark comedy) and first season or two when he was a weasally conniver who was a bit shifty until later when he was in all his teddy beared "golly gee whiz, his colonelness" self, but as an adult I can see where his character somehow regressed to a virginal, recently post pubescent 12 year old who somehow managed to run the paperwork of the unit and still be a gopher when needed.

I was watching an episode of Match Game and Burghoff was on it probably around the same time mid 70's or so and he looked like a pimp, I figured he was trying to distance himself from the "Radar" character as much as he could but was already typecast before he had ever heard that term uttered.

I'd have hated it. I imagine he's living off royalties still to this day though for the seasons he was on, although I did see him on a propane commercial a few years ago hugging a teddy bear and using the tie in so he must not be that well off, what a bummer.

I'm curious when it officially started. What was the first episode where the trend started and what was the topic he was dealing with where it was obvious he had been taking too much saltpeter.

I'm pretty sure it's into the Potter administration, but not sure of the exact episode first person with an exact answer wins federal mail fraud charges for Jessie Smollet.

2e9600ad69673b3b72efbf98ae201b67.jpg

It didn't look to me like the Radar character on Mash was under any stress but I always thought the Lt. Houlihan character Loretta Switt was unfairly treated. She was the victim of the cruelest pranks and insulted and victimized by the alleged "womanizers" Hawkeye and the other wise ass. I think Switt's character was treated like most actresses in H'wood at the time. Hawkeye would have been court martialed in the first ten minuted in Korea but apparently the teenage audience loved it.

IMHO Radar's character changed with the changing of the CO's... Radar was in charge an ran the Daily operations when LT. Col. Henry Blake (Mclean Stevenson) was CO... Henry was a N.G. weekend warrior... More responsibility caused Radar to be "when he was a weasally conniver who was a bit shifty"...

With the addition of Col. Sherman T. Potter (Harry Morgan) and his 'fatherly' qualities radar regressed into the son Sherm Potter never had... Potter was R.A. (Regular Army)

IMHO Radar's character changed with the changing of the CO's... Radar was in charge an ran the Daily operations when LT. Col. Henry Blake (Mclean Stevenson) was CO... Henry was a N.G. weekend warrior... More responsibility caused Radar to be "when he was a weasally conniver who was a bit shifty"...

With the addition of Col. Sherman T. Potter (Harry Morgan) and his 'fatherly' qualities radar regressed into the son Sherm Potter never had... Potter was R.A. (Regular Army)
You can't post an opinion without a freaking pot commercial?

It didn't look to me like the Radar character on Mash was under any stress but I always thought the Lt. Houlihan character Loretta Switt was unfairly treated. She was the victim of the cruelest pranks and insulted and victimized by the alleged "womanizers" Hawkeye and the other wise ass. I think Switt's character was treated like most actresses in H'wood at the time. Hawkeye would have been court martialed in the first ten minuted in Korea but apparently the teenage audience loved it.
Swift evolved from Hot Lips to Margaret

In the Hot Lips days, she rarely got a scene without Frank Burns
Once she was allowed to be Margaret, her character had more depth, compassion and humor

Interesting thing about Radar was the extent they went to hide his deformed left hand

radar.jpg

Last edited:

Forum List

Back